No announcement yet.

Exploding Prairie Dogs/ Ballistics thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some poor, ignorant, anti-gun sap is going to think that your awesome gun is some sort of assault rifle.

Obama will try to get it banned.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
      It depends on the part of the state. Out here in God's country there are plenty, but getting permission is iffy usually.
      Western Kansas?
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
        It depends on the part of the state. Out here in God's country there are plenty, but getting permission is iffy usually.
        Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
        Western Kansas?
        I've seen Prairie Dogs in the Hutchinson area and around Claflin (South Central Kansas).

I’ve read stories about them being flushed out with soap and water and then sucked into a large tank truck; they’re delivered to Quivira National Wildlife Refuge where badgers anxiously await an all-you-can-eat-buffet. It’s referred to as ‘Prairie Dog Relocation’, but the poor bastards don’t stand a chance.

Encroaching Hutchinson Retail Establishment

Prairie Dog Extraction, Hutchinson

Ready for the buffet, Hutchinson

“Yum, they taste like chicken!” - Quivira National Wildlife Refuge

The Circle of Life
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Those badgers are inhumane and evil for murdering prairie dogs.

Wait. I'm hearing from the newsroom in my earpiece that it's only wrong to kill animals if you are a person. It's okay when animals do it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
            Those badgers are inhumane and evil for murdering prairie dogs.

Wait. I'm hearing from the newsroom in my earpiece that it's only wrong to kill animals if you are a person. It's okay when animals do it though.
            The prairie dogs we shot were on their last legs. The rancher has the poison on hand and is going to begin the process in two weeks. The poor things will slowly bleed a painful death. My method was painless. The little things were sitting on the top of their houses, basking in the sun. Some may have even been drunk. They were happy.Quick as a flash, they were in heaven!

Comment

John, I shoot on relatives ground between Liberal, KS and Turpin, OK. Not as large as some of the towns that you described but easy access for me. I have shot on a large town north of casper, WY that stretched for miles. Had 3 guns with hot barrels all the time. BTW, here is a link for tube gun chassis. http://www.gotxring.com/ I made my own, but the units that Gary Eliseo makes can't be beat. Check out some of his youtube clips. He's a good F-Class shooter and makes a hell of a product.
              One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
                John, I shoot on relatives ground between Liberal, KS and Turpin, OK. Not as large as some of the towns that you described but easy access for me. I have shot on a large town north of casper, WY that stretched for miles. Had 3 guns with hot barrels all the time. BTW, here is a link for tube gun chassis. http://www.gotxring.com/ I made my own, but the units that Gary Eliseo makes can't be beat. Check out some of his youtube clips. He's a good F-Class shooter and makes a hell of a product.
                Friggin' insane! I shoot stock firearms, you show me a system that I can buy the basics for a grand, buy a few more components for a few hundred bucks, then think about a damn barrel. So I'm two grand-plus into it before I even think about optics!

I have a scope in mind for my gun I want, costs $800, my wife said no. Yes, I want that gun from the website! I'm just a divorce and child support away from being able to pull it off!

Comment

Shox are the slots at the front a) to reduce weight, b) to cool off the aluminum faster, or c) for looks? I gotta know!
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Shox are the slots at the front a) to reduce weight, b) to cool off the aluminum faster, or c) for looks? I gotta know!
                    All 3. Mostly it's for air flow around the barrel. 10 shot strings in 1-3 minutes get pretty warm. When you get good conditions (wind, mirage, light) you try to get off all of your shots before they change. Shooting single shot with somebody pulling targets between shots, the barrel will stay a lot cooler. Heat will kill a premium barrel quicker than just about anything else.
                    One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                      Friggin' insane! I shoot stock firearms, you show me a system that I can buy the basics for a grand, buy a few more components for a few hundred bucks, then think about a damn barrel. So I'm two grand-plus into it before I even think about optics!

I have a scope in mind for my gun I want, costs $800, my wife said no. Yes, I want that gun from the website! I'm just a divorce and child support away from being able to pull it off!
                      I'm planning to make a couple more this winter. If I make them on our NC equipment, it's just as easy to make 10 as it is 1. Maybe we could barter or something. I don't have an FFL anymore so you would have to get a barreled action for the project. I won't make any promises, it's not for nothing that we call our ranchette the "Lazy MF".

Comment

I'm planning to make a couple more this winter. If I make them on our NC equipment, it's just as easy to make 10 as it is 1. Maybe we could barter or something. I don't have an FFL anymore so you would have to get a barreled action for the project. I won't make any promises, it's not for nothing that we call our ranchette the "Lazy MF".
                        [hand in the air waving excitedly] Hey, I said it was cool first! AND I am a Shocker fan. @MoValley John: is just a Shocker fan fan -- meaning he likes us fans, but doesn't call himself a "Shocker fan". So for that very reason he needs to get in the back of the line. LMAO!

Seriously though, if you decide to make more chassis this winter, let me know!

Comment

All 3. Mostly it's for air flow around the barrel. 10 shot strings in 1-3 minutes get pretty warm. When you get good conditions (wind, mirage, light) you try to get off all of your shots before they change. Shooting single shot with somebody pulling targets between shots, the barrel will stay a lot cooler. Heat will kill a premium barrel quicker than just about anything else.
                          Our 9mm setup has that exact heat quirk. The first shot of a 5 string always falls "low" at 75 yards. But once the barrel is up to temperature after that first shot, our next 4 shots are all consistent. That was a complete pain in the ass during competition until we figured out what was happening. It was hard to catch when sighting in because we never really let the barrel cool down while sighting. So at first you just chalk that first round up as a flyer. Now we know to shoot half a silhouette low for that first round, starting at the 75 yard targets.

Comment

@Kung Wu: , We have talked about doing a production run here. Maybe this is the spark I need to get my ass in gear. I was thinking that a tube gun in black and yellow would be PFWB. P'dogs don't seem to care if you are camo'd up. Deer might be alarmed.

I haven't competed much in years but in the benchrest matches we were allowed a fouler shot to get past that first clean cold round. It was oftentimes quite different from the following string. Looks like we need to start a shooting thread.

Comment

@Kung Wu , We have talked about doing a production run here. Maybe this is the spark I need to get my ass in gear. I was thinking that a tube gun in black and yellow would be PFWB. P'dogs don't seem to care if you are camo'd up. Deer might be alarmed.

I haven't competed much in years but in the benchrest matches we were allowed a fouler shot to get past that first clean cold round. It was oftentimes quite different from the following string. Looks like we need to start a shooting thread.
                              What would the ballpark cost of a chassis be?

Hee hee, I shot small bore almost exclusively (and it was always in Creedmore, or standing, or prone position -- no benchresting), so I never really came across the heat issue until we put together that 9mm and started competing in Field Pistol class of IHMSA (that's a new class that you probably haven't come across if you haven't shot IHMSA since the 80's or 90's -- FUN!).

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                [hand in the air waving excitedly] Hey, I said it was cool first! AND I am a Shocker fan. @MoValley John: is just a Shocker fan fan -- meaning he likes us fans, but doesn't call himself a "Shocker fan". So for that very reason he needs to get in the back of the line. LMAO!

Seriously though, if you decide to make more chassis this winter, let me know!
                                Let me know the cost, where I can get a decent barrel affordably, then screw Kung Wu!

Comment

Working...
                                X