Sling TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sling TV

Anyone else going to give this a shot? Speculation has it launching on Monday, and I've had enough with Time Warner's neverending service disruptions down here.

I'll be streaming via Fire TV and will definitely spring for the upgraded sports package for the extra five bucks. $25 total per month seems like a steal since the ESPN networks occupy 80%+ of my viewing most of the year.

I'm pretty jazzed to give it a shot. Cable companies have become the worst service industry in the U.S. over the last fifteen years and I will happily tap dance on their collective graves when they pull a Radio Shack years down the road.

It looks interesting, I may give it a shot, Unfortunately you will still have to rely on a provider for Internet. Also, could you get ESPN3? i liked the cellphone TV app, but the cable boys sued that one to death so quick it would've made your head spin

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
      Anyone else going to give this a shot? Speculation has it launching on Monday, and I've had enough with Time Warner's neverending service disruptions down here.

I'll be streaming via Fire TV and will definitely spring for the upgraded sports package for the extra five bucks. $25 total per month seems like a steal since the ESPN networks occupy 80%+ of my viewing most of the year.

I'm pretty jazzed to give it a shot. Cable companies have become the worst service industry in the U.S. over the last fifteen years and I will happily tap dance on their collective graves when they pull a Radio Shack years down the road.
      I did not know about this so thanks for the info. I am definitely interested because I refuse to pay/ cannot afford high cable rates. I see that the basic package includes ESPN/2, but I haven't located the info on their sports package.
      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Found this on twitter:

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/busine...ction-sling-tv

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
          It looks interesting, I may give it a shot, Unfortunately you will still have to rely on a provider for Internet. Also, could you get ESPN3? i liked the cellphone TV app, but the cable boys sued that one to death so quick it would've made your head spin
          Yep, you get limited access to WatchESPN with the basic package that allows you to catch ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN3 games. I am guessing the sports package add-on grants access to those games on the U and the peripheral packages that are co-broadcast online via WatchESPN.

Comment

Here is the sports package, ESPNU, ESPN News, SEC network, some soccer channels, etc.

https://www.sling.com/package

Comment

Got my invite in the email this AM , and am up and running...... I bought the $5 extra sports package.... They have a 7 day free trial , so doesn't hurt to try..... I'm streaming this thru the Roku box...... We have a Roku 3 , but still a bit of a 1950's technology....... Anyway , once you get it set up , the Sling TV channel appears just like all your other channels. You open that box then navigate along a timeline that has all your channels ... Click on one of those , and away you go... There may be a slight degradation in video quality , but I'm still happy so far...... no buffering , not choppy , looks like TV ....... If you go thru Roku , you might have to reboot after downloading channel....... Settings / sys update / ....... I look at Sling as the crack in the dike so to speak ...... Apple is rumored to be ready to respond , and all the others will eventually.......

Comment

I tried cutting the cord before but went back after I couldn't find a decent solution for local channels. Has anyone had success with a particular service or antenna or other product to get local channels? I suppose something like sling and the super basic cox package with locals + 22 for Shox games is probably cheaper than the whole basic package.

Comment

Originally posted by shox526 View Post
                  I tried cutting the cord before but went back after I couldn't find a decent solution for local channels. Has anyone had success with a particular service or antenna or other product to get local channels? I suppose something like sling and the super basic cox package with locals + 22 for Shox games is probably cheaper than the whole basic package.
                  I've been using this for 2+ yrs with good results. I have it in my attic, but you can mount it on the roof. I do have to go in the attic about every 3 to 6 mos to tweak the direction to get the best signal.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/antennas...&skuId=6847298

Comment

We have one of these sitting on top of cabinet , not even near a window , and it picks up at least 25 over the air channels , including ABC , CBS , NBC , PBS , Fox...... Cox was unable to put HD on those channels without a box ....... I get free HD thru the air..........

Comment

Originally posted by JackStraw View Post
                      Got my invite in the email this AM , and am up and running...... I bought the $5 extra sports package.... They have a 7 day free trial , so doesn't hurt to try..... I'm streaming this thru the Roku box...... We have a Roku 3 , but still a bit of a 1950's technology....... Anyway , once you get it set up , the Sling TV channel appears just like all your other channels. You open that box then navigate along a timeline that has all your channels ... Click on one of those , and away you go... There may be a slight degradation in video quality , but I'm still happy so far...... no buffering , not choppy , looks like TV ....... If you go thru Roku , you might have to reboot after downloading channel....... Settings / sys update / ....... I look at Sling as the crack in the dike so to speak ...... Apple is rumored to be ready to respond , and all the others will eventually.......
                      Agreed with all of this. Reception, although not quite at HD level, is certainly serviceable. I am pleased overall and look forward to cancelling my Time Warner television package on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by JackStraw View Post
                        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

We have one of these sitting on top of cabinet , not even near a window , and it picks up at least 25 over the air channels , including ABC , CBS , NBC , PBS , Fox...... Cox was unable to put HD on those channels without a box ....... I get free HD thru the air..........
                        Are all 25 channels crystal clear with no pixelation or cutting out at all? If not, how many channels are and which ones?
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Most of the 25 channels I never look at . There are several " My TV " channels that carry old stuff that can be fun ...... The main 5 channels do come in HD , but can also be disturbed by outside forces..... Airplanes coming over will temp disrupt the signal. Even windy days can play havoc with the signal...... Nothing's perfect .....

Actually I think the one we have is this one :

Last edited by JackStraw; February 7, 2015, 03:10 PM. Reason: Forgot

Comment

This is the first day we have had ESPN in 6 months. Sling TV did very well during the KU game , now during the K-State I have had some screen freezes , followed by a short period of blurry picture ....... still happy overall..........

You can only have one stream at a time. If I have it running on one of my PC monitors , then I can't have it running on the TV also , at the same time...... I ordered another Roku player for another TV , and wonder since I have a dual band router , could you stream different channels on different bands ? That will be a future experiment........

Comment

Started my 7-day trial today. I could not stream to TV using Apple TV AirPlay. I have plan b in mind for tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X