Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's behind Oklahoma's surge in earthquakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas and Oklahoma are not known for earthquakes. Now they're regular. This does seem to correspond with increased aggressive activity in recovering oil. The depths where the quakes originate and the oil activity is taking place don't correspond well, so that seems to raise some doubt about cause and effect.

In my opinion, the overwhelming causal effect is oil recovery activity. There's a technology issue that corresponds to the timing of the increased quake activity that's hard to ignore.

But, what do the quakes cost? From time to time a piece of china or glassware falls off a shelf. From time to time, some cracks form in masonry. I get a lot more cracks in the brick and concrete work around my house from wet and dry cycles than anyone is getting from earthquake damage.

A lot of landowners are making money off of the prrspect of additional oil reserves that can be tapped on their property. Oil companies are re3covering oil that was unreachable prior to the earthquakes. Every barrel of oil produced in the USA is a barrel we don't need to import from troubled areas, such as Iraq.

I don't see the big deal about the quakes. From time to time there are some broken dishes. To maintain control of oil reserves in the Middle East, there are casualties (dead soldiers) from time to time. I prefer some broken dishes.

I think we're going after unpumped reserves too early. The practical solution is to pump the rest of the world dry, defend borders to the max, and then go after the last domestic reserves. In the long run, the place with the last remaining energy reserves wins. Going after the big money now is not the best long-term plan.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Got a feeling that now that Tekele has graduated, we will see a decline in seismic activity in the region.
      Unless of course, he somehow ends up in Oklahoma City...
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        Got a feeling that now that Tekele has graduated, we will see a decline in seismic activity in the region.
        Few people seem to have put together that the Space Shuttle program was conveniently discontinued in direct correlation with Tekele Cotton's 18th birthday. Would not surprise me if he came under the employ of the federal government at that time.

Also, as Mel Gibson taught us in 'Conspiracy Theory', often when these flights are in space, there are earthquakes.

And it aaaaaaalll makes sense now.

Comment

Working...
        X