Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's behind Oklahoma's surge in earthquakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tulsa Geologist: There's No Mystery In Oklahoma Earthquakes

For many of us, the idea of an earthquake in Central Oklahoma seems wrong. But a University of Tulsa geologist explains this weekend's earthquakes were 300 million years in the making.

Dr. Bryan Tapp is a structural geologist at the University of Tulsa; basically he studies how rocks move beneath the earth's crust. He says Oklahoma has small earthquakes every day.
    "We are still under a region that is trying to shift, but it is relatively slow," said Dr. Bryan Tapp, Ph.D.
    Dr. Tapp says you can blame this on events that first happened 300 million years ago. He says when the Wichita, Arbuckle, and Ouachita Mountains were formed, the ground rose up. But just north of the Wichita and Ouachita Mountains the ground sunk and formed the Anadarko and Arkoma basins.

This action caused a fault line to form between the two basins, that fault line is where the epicenter to these large earthquakes is located. He says the earth is still trying to relieve pressure from those long ago geologic events.
    "So we just seem to be relaxing, just slightly, over time," he said.

One thing he's positive of: this mess was not caused by fracking.

"There's no way that this particular fault or this particular earthquake could have been activated by oil field activity; there's just no evidence of that," said Dr. Bryan Tapp, a structural geologist.

Dr. Tapp says we can expect some more earthquakes in the future but probably around the magnitude 3 range.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
      Dr. Tapp says we can expect some more earthquakes in the future but probably around the magnitude 3 range.
      There have been over 20 magnitude 4.0 or greater earthquakes in Oklahoma since he said that back in 2011. I would say a 4.0 is not around a 3.0, especially not in magnitude.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
        There have been over 20 magnitude 4.0 or greater earthquakes in Oklahoma since he said that back in 2011. I would say a 4.0 is not around a 3.0, especially not in magnitude.
        How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
          Capture.JPG

Comment

Capture.JPG

Comment

differential movement between basins has created a fault (shown in red)

Capture.JPG

Now look at Earthquakes over last 30 days

Capture1.JPG

Comment

nm

Comment

Given that very recent studies (i.e. earlier this year) have suggested a connection between waste-water disposal wells and seismic activity, it seems to me that a 3 year old article dismissing the role of drilling activities is a bit out of date.

First, the point that there are long-term geological trends at work is not contested by anyone. The question is not whether these drilling activities create seismic activity where there previously was none, but whether the drilling/disposal exacerbates those factors.

Second, the fact that in 2011 there wasn't a reasonable scientific basis for linking drilling to earthquake activity doesn't mean there was no basis, just that to that point no evidence had been produced to support such conclusions. Given the more recent shift in focus to the waste-water disposal activities and the preliminary studies that are at least suggestive that their might be a connection, good science would demand re-evaluation rather than sticking to a conclusion that was made before that new evidence was produced.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                    Given that very recent studies (i.e. earlier this year) have suggested a connection between waste-water disposal wells and seismic activity, it seems to me that a 3 year old article dismissing the role of drilling activities is a bit out of date.

First, the point that there are long-term geological trends at work is not contested by anyone. The question is not whether these drilling activities create seismic activity where there previously was none, but whether the drilling/disposal exacerbates those factors.

Second, the fact that in 2011 there wasn't a reasonable scientific basis for linking drilling to earthquake activity doesn't mean there was no basis, just that to that point no evidence had been produced to support such conclusions. Given the more recent shift in focus to the waste-water disposal activities and the preliminary studies that are at least suggestive that their might be a connection, good science would demand re-evaluation rather than sticking to a conclusion that was made before that new evidence was produced.
                    Where is this study you speak of?

Last study I read was they could not find a connection (the state has alot of waste water injection wells with no earthquakes). Also I would like to know what would be the physics behind the wells that are causing the earthquakes. If you look at the depth of the well versus earthquake depths they don't match up either.

Comment

Here is a report by the USGS on man-made earthquakes, and do talk a little about the physics

We provide science about the natural hazards that threaten lives and livelihoods; the water, energy, minerals, and other natural resources we rely on; the health of our ecosystems and environment; and the impacts of climate and land-use change. Our scientists develop new methods and tools to supply timely, relevant, and useful information about the Earth and its processes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                        In case anyone is interested in the science on this, the LA Times has a pretty good summary of a recent study by researchers at Cornell and U. of Colorado on Oklahoma wastewater disposal and earthquakes:

http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...703-story.html
                        Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                        Where is this study you speak of?

Last study I read was they could not find a connection (the state has alot of waste water injection wells with no earthquakes). Also I would like to know what would be the physics behind the wells that are causing the earthquakes. If you look at the depth of the well versus earthquake depths they don't match up either.
                        The study is from the link I posted earlier in this thread. Here is the link to the abstract of the article published in Science earlier this year (full article is a behind a pay wall, so if you are interested in the specifics either a subscription or a trip to the library is in order):

"Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I keep trying really hard to come up with a good joke along the lines of "What's behind Oklahoma's surgeon earthquakes?" but I am just not smart enough. I thought I'd just go ahead and put the punch line out there instead...

Comment

I'm of the belief that the earthquakes warrant additional studies. Beyond that, not enough is known.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                              I keep trying really hard to come up with a good joke along the lines of "What's behind Oklahoma's surgeon earthquakes?" but I am just not smart enough. I thought I'd just go ahead and put the punch line out there instead...
                              Mrs. Earthquakes paying off his student loans?

Comment

I just felt my first earthquake ever. It kind of freaked me out.

Comment

Working...
                                X