No announcement yet.

Kansas budget means $3.3M less in state funding for Wichita State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know how much in dollars that the WSU 8% tuition hike raises? Is it more than the $3.3 million they took in budget cuts?

It sounds like it is, but I haven't heard or seen an actual dollar amount to compare to the $3.3 million in budget cuts. It does sound like to me that the university made absolutely no effort to tighten their belt or cut out waste. They just immediately raised tuition to make up the budget cuts and maybe even raise some additional revenue.

Comment

I found the answer to my question. The 8% tuition increase raises $4.8 million annually. That means about $3 million of the increase is for salary increases and budget enhancements only $1.7 million would be needed to offset the budget cuts ($3.3 million was over the next 2 years).

So it sounds like WSU didn't cut a thing, they only raised tuition and then INCREASED spending. The legislature should set a cap on tuition (or even freeze it) to keep the Regents from doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
        Unemployment rates are not the same as jobs. Kansas essentially hasn't gained private sector jobs for a decade.
        True. And interestingly "local" government employment has skyrocketed over the same period.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
          While we are doing well comparatively, too many of those who would have been counted on the roles of the unemployed are now collecting disability instead.

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/?wpisrc=nl_wonk
          Good point. And Kansas isn't immune. They went from 24k-ish on state disability in 2003 to 72k-ish in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
            I found the answer to my question. The 8% tuition increase raises $4.8 million annually. That means about $3 million of the increase is for salary increases and budget enhancements only $1.7 million would be needed to offset the budget cuts ($3.3 million was over the next 2 years).

So it sounds like WSU didn't cut a thing, they only raised tuition and then INCREASED spending. The legislature should set a cap on tuition (or even freeze it) to keep the Regents from doing this.
            This is basically what I thought we would do, though I didn't see the pretty big raise for some of the faculty/staff. Simple budget cuts are easiest to offset with simple tuition hikes.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Good point. And Kansas isn't immune. They went from 24k-ish on state disability in 2003 to 72k-ish in 2011.
                Will someone explain how this is possible?

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                  That is infuriating.

Unfortunately, this is what schools across the country are doing. Things will eventually reach a breaking point when student debt loads become a prohibitive burden on the economy and homeownership. Until then, we will just keep kicking the can down the road.
                  Student loans are the housing bubble all over again....times 3. At least. It's just a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Will someone explain how this is possible?
                    Actually I screwed up. The 24k number was the growth difference. So in 2003 there were 48k-ish people and in 2001 72k-ish. (the difference being 24k) That's a 51.5% leap in 8 years.

This article explains:

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        Actually I screwed up. The 24k number was the growth difference. So in 2003 there were 48k-ish people and in 2001 72k-ish. (the difference being 24k) That's a 51.5% leap in 8 years.

This article explains:

http://watchdog.org/91337/ks-officia...lity-increase/
                        Thanks @Kung Wu:. I look forward to digging deeper. That article didn't provide a lot in the way of substance. I don't know the increase in population during that same time frame, but I think it's pretty safe to say that number lags behind the increase in disability claims. That tells me 1 of 3 things.

A)More people are accident prone, or we've had a run of really bad luck. Given the kazillion regulations in place, I doubt that's the case. I'll save a discussion regarding theory of chance and standard deviation for another time.

B)More people are aware of the ability to legitimately claim disability. I'm certain this is a factor. Our government will gladly pay an IRS agent 6 figures in salary and benefits to track down 10K in taxes. I know for a fact we hire tax payer funded jobs to promote and search for more disabled. Please don't tell me the cost of this...I don't want to be sick. Still, this factor cannot be that substantial, imho.

C)The criteria for obtaining benefits has lessened and there is more fraud than ever. This is where we're likely to see the biggest effect. The more free money (sic) there is, the more people are going to do whatever they can to get it.

Comment

There are many more people applying for and receiving Social Security disability nationwide. I'll track down some details.

Comment

I suspect that a large part of the funding problems at K-12 and at the colleges is due to the pension programs.

Unfortunately, retirement pensions seem to be the norm for government employees and elected officials. None of them want to give up these pensions even though they have nearly destroyed many corporations in the private sector. Why not just adopt a retirement contribution system for teachers rather than keep the pensions?

Comment

Originally posted by engrshock View Post
                              I suspect that a large part of the funding problems at K-12 and at the colleges is due to the pension programs.

Unfortunately, retirement pensions seem to be the norm for government employees and elected officials. None of them want to give up these pensions even though they have nearly destroyed many corporations in the private sector. Why not just adopt a retirement contribution system for teachers rather than keep the pensions?
                              Well I suspect it because of the teacher unions and it would be considered a "takeaway".

Comment

Originally posted by engrshock View Post

Unfortunately, retirement pensions seem to be the norm for government employees and elected officials. None of them want to give up these pensions even though they
                                have nearly destroyed many corporations in the private sector. Why not just adopt a retirement contribution system for teachers rather than keep the pensions?
                                You're a smart dude. Teachers are getting rich in Kansas. There is a teaching shortage for Math and Science teachers in Kansas. You are an Engineer. Why don't you jump in and help out?

Comment

Working...
                                X