Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.tax-brackets.org/kansastaxtable

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
    The difference is that the Kansas tax is actually higher on the poor than it is on the richest (between 2-3 times higher actually). 2% might hurt the poor more than 30% for the rich, it is even worse when the poor actually pay a larger percentage by design.
    I couldn't believe that statement so I looked it up. You are incorrect.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
      The Sales tax on July 1 will increase from the scheduled 5.7% to 6.15%. That is an increase on everyone. Also next year many itemized deductions will be reduced. Koch Industries, I believe, may pay 0 Kansas income tax next year (I believe their companies are organized as LLCs.) As all LLCs, sub-chapter S Corps and Sole Proprieters will pay NO KANSAS INCOME TAX next year. The rest of us will get some rate reductions spread out over the next 5 years but we don't get to 0. To me it would have been a lot fairer to give everyone the same tax cut next year (instead of allowing LLCs, S-corps and Sole Proprietors to go to 0). I believe everyone should have been put on the same path in income tax reductions.
      The sales tax was scheduled to go down further but at the end of the day, the sales tax will go down to 6.15% from 6.3% on July 1. That is a reduction.

The elimination of state income tax on small businesses took effect on January 1 of this year. The stated goal is to get everyone to zero. It will take a while. Because of some political quirks last year, there was the opportunity to do it in one fell swoop for LLCs, Sub S, partnerships, etc.

I don't think you know nor does anyone else know, how the various corporate entities at Koch are structured.

Comment

Link didn't work. Here it is.

http://www.tax-brackets.org/kansastaxtable
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
          To say that cutting spending is a "tax on the middle class" is poppy cock. There is absolutely nothing that requires Universities to raise tuition. The amount of tuition increases in Kansas dwarfs the small cuts in higher ed. (I do agree with GoShockers89 that subsidized student loans are also at fault for higher tuition)

In the ten years from 2003 - 2012, state aid decreased -.1% while tuition increased 137% (inflation was 25%) http://kansaspolicy.org/researchcent...es/104135.aspx
          It is important to note that federal access to student loans is the biggest cause of tuition increases, not state aid to schools. However, cutting large amounts of aid to schools (not .1%) could cause a spike in tuition. To that otherwise is to disregard the long-term plans of the schools, which are not easy or simple to cut. The money will be paid one way or another.

Your statement that ". . .the poor are in worse shape. Call it whatever you want, but at the end of the day the poor in Kansas take home less than they did before Brownback", simply isn't true.

Only 1/3 of Kansan's deduct their mortgage interest. Who do you think takes more advantage of that deduction?
          You are correct, the tax credits I meant were the homestead property tax refunds that give some renters an average refund of $302 and child care tax credits that gave an average of $132 refund to help care for kids.

Besides which, the poor are still getting screwed for a profit in Kansas.

More govt spending does not equal better results regardless of whether you are lower or higher income.

I would have done things differently than Brownback, by cutting more spending and letting the sales tax go all the way back to 5.7%, but what's happened in the last two year overall is a good thing.
          Why not no taxes? No spending? No human services at all?

Because we need basic services, and establish governments so that those services are taken care of. I do not call many things "evil," but I make an exception for privatizing or defunding education, justice/safety, or healthcare. Those are things that are literally the reason government exists, and the reason each of those things are screwed up in this country is because we have tried to turn profits from them.

What has happened over the last two years is only good if you "got yours." If you care only for your bottom dollar and don't need a state to raise a family, I'm sure these measures are great for you. But please at least recognize that these cuts are coming directly from poor and middle class families across the state, and that the state is going downhill quickly for everyone else. I plan on moving out of Kansas because it is rapidly becoming another bust state, and because I have seen first-hand what Brownback has done and will do to the education system in this state.
          Last edited by CBB_Fan; June 5, 2013, 10:17 PM.

Comment

It is important to note that federal access to student loans is the biggest cause of tuition increases, not state aid to schools. However, cutting large amounts of aid to schools (not .1%) could cause a spike in tuition. To that otherwise is to disregard the long-term plans of the schools, which are not easy or simple to cut. The money will be paid one way or another.

You are correct, the tax credits I meant were the homestead property tax refunds that give some renters an average refund of $302 and child care tax credits that gave an average of $132 refund to help care for kids.

Besides which, the poor are still getting screwed for a profit in Kansas.

Why not no taxes? No spending? No human services at all?

Because we need basic services, and establish governments so that those services are taken care of. I do not call many things "evil," but I make an exception for privatizing or defunding education, justice/safety, or healthcare. Those are things that are literally the reason government exists, and the reason each of those things are screwed up in this country is because we have tried to turn profits from them.

What has happened over the last two years is only good if you "got yours." If you care only for your bottom dollar and don't need a state to raise a family, I'm sure these measures are great for you. But please at least recognize that these cuts are coming directly from poor and middle class families across the state, and that the state is going downhill quickly for everyone else. I plan on moving out of Kansas because it is rapidly becoming another bust state, and because I have seen first-hand what Brownback has done and will do to the education system in this state.
            Strawmen out the wazoo here. Wanting to cut more is hardly eliminating services. Having flat budgets is not defunding. Do you think that increasing the size of these programs will reduce those that want to profit from those programs? I am not following you.

I simply don't agree that these cuts are coming directly form the poor and middle class and that the state is going downhill. Do you measure the success of Kansas only by the amount government is spending on its citizens? Why that measure?

Opportunity is the best solution to poverty, not more government spending in my view.

Back to the topic. So state aid has been reduced -.1% and yet you said tuition would go up b/c of the current cuts. Is that still your point of view?

Comment

I don't know what percent a $3.3 million cut to WSU is, but it sounds like more than .1%. At any rate, I think they can absorb it just fine. I personally believe that universities have enough fat in them to take some budget cuts. I do however, have some concerns about budget cuts to public safety and services to DD kids (as I have expressed earlier).

Comment

I did not say that schools and universities don't waste any money. I said this does nothing to stop that waste. Simply cutting funds does not get rid of waste or corruption, nor does it stop the source of that waste. It just redistributes the cost to the students and their parents instead of all the taxpayers.
                What is your experience in this situation that lets you speak so matter of factly and as an expert on the subject? What is the source of the waste you are referring to that won't be stopped?
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I can't speak for exact waste, but this is my experience with schools. I send my kids to private school and am on the board. In K-8, we have three kids out of 450 that have physical disabilities. We provide all services and accommodations for them without state aid. We also have six kids that are mentally challenged, one profoundly. We provide all needed services for them as well, once again, without state or federal aid. Along with that, we also have the normal smattering of kids with ADD and other assorted learning disabilities. All of this is done at a per pupil cost of $3600. Our teachers make 8-12% less than their public school counterparts. With that, the per pupil cost is less than half of what it costs to educate the same kids in public schools. Our outcomes are also much better. So you tell me how this happens if money equates success and opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                    I can't speak for exact waste, but this is my experience with schools. I send my kids to private school and am on the board. In K-8, we have three kids out of 450 that have physical disabilities. We provide all services and accommodations for them without state aid. We also have six kids that are mentally challenged, one profoundly. We provide all needed services for them as well, once again, without state or federal aid. Along with that, we also have the normal smattering of kids with ADD and other assorted learning disabilities. All of this is done at a per pupil cost of $3600. Our teachers make 8-12% less than their public school counterparts. With that, the per pupil cost is less than half of what it costs to educate the same kids in public schools. Our outcomes are also much better. So you tell me how this happens if money equates success and opportunity.
                    In Kansas, special needs services are provided to private school children. They are supposed to be provided in the public school setting but because of scheduling conflicts, often or at least sometimes they are provided at the private school.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                      In Kansas, special needs services are provided to private school children. They are supposed to be provided in the public school setting but because of scheduling conflicts, often or at least sometimes they are provided at the private school.
                      Special needs are also provided to the private schools in Nebraska. Our school has chosen to self provide. It cuts down on interference and red tape. Parents of special needs children are made aware of their options and given assistance from the public schools. The public school initiate all testing and IEP's. We follow them to a tee and offer our own insights. By the second year, the IEP's are being done by our own resource personnel and simply reviewed by the public schools.

Comment

If this has already been stated here, I apologize. It takes a lot to unite the right and left that the Kansas Tax Reform Law is bad for the state.

"Neither of the analysts thought it would do much to meet its stated goals, to jump-start economic growth and job creation."

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/04/14/276...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                          If this has already been stated here, I apologize. It takes a lot to unite the right and left that the Kansas Tax Reform Law is bad for the state.

"Neither of the analysts thought it would do much to meet its stated goals, to jump-start economic growth and job creation."

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/04/14/276...#storylink=cpy
                          That is one voice from the right who simply thought that having one type of business with a different tax burden than other businesses as less than ideal. In a vacuum, I agree. However, the stated goal is to get C Corporations and individuals to zero too. There is simply no way to get everyone to zero in one or even two Sessions.

There are plenty from the right of center who think what Kansas is doing, in a broad sense, is good.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                            Some would consider this nitpicking since the end result is the same, but I think it is a very important distinction. That article says nothing about a tax increase for the poor. Rather, it is an elimination of credits (earned income credit and food sales tax rebates) that are essentially government handouts.

A reduction in welfare through taxes would be more accurate.
                            Do the poor have more buying power because of this, or less buying power?

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                              Do the poor have more buying power because of this, or less buying power?
                              Is the goal of government to provide the poor with more buying power or more opportunity?

The left's fiscal ideas haven't worked in like, oh, forever. It's past time to do things drastically different.

Comment

By the way, if I never hear the term "earned income tax credit" again, it will be too soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X