2013 Severe Weather - Act II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Severe Weather - Act II

Spring/summer might finally be arriving. SPC has a Day 6 (Sat - May 18) outlook that is worth watching. This will likely be a multi-day event (possibly Friday - Sun) and it will move around as we get closer to the date - but for the SPC to highlight this far out usually means they are getting strong severe weather signal in the long range models.

Capture.jpg

GFS has been consistent on a nice negatively-tilted trough ejecting out into the plains around Saturday to Sunday. Still a long ways out with things likely to change but it's nice to see at least something interesting in the forecast. One of the early concerns right now is some pretty warm temperatures aloft working in there. That would be a real wrinkle if that trend continues..
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      GFS has been consistent on a nice negatively-tilted trough ejecting out into the plains around Saturday to Sunday. Still a long ways out with things likely to change but it's nice to see at least something interesting in the forecast. One of the early concerns right now is some pretty warm temperatures aloft working in there. That would be a real wrinkle if that trend continues..
      Yep.

Have to believe the warm 700mb temps are going to verify to some extent - can cooling spread over in time to use maximum instability? We will see. Should be some nice rains across Central KS,
      Last edited by wsushox1; May 13, 2013, 09:28 PM.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

The SPC has now moved the threat more north and east of the SC Kansas for Sat (D5) and Sunday (D6). The threat seems to be mitigated in our area by lack of moisture and strong cap. The Wichita NWS office believe the threat will be more Sunday/Monday as better forcing and cooling moves into the region.

Capture.JPG

Interestingly the Wichita office is predicting a potential for severe weather in N. KS on Wednesday near the warm front and strong storms elsewhere which the SPC has not flagged yet except as an area of general storms.

Capture.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          The SPC has now moved the threat more north and east of the SC Kansas for Sat (D5) and Sunday (D6). The threat seems to be mitigated in our area by lack of moisture and strong cap. The Wichita NWS office believe the threat will be more Sunday/Monday as better forcing and cooling moves into the region.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]803[/ATTACH]

Interestingly the Wichita office is predicting a potential for severe weather in N. KS on Wednesday near the warm front and strong storms elsewhere which the SPC has not flagged yet except as an area of general storms.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]804[/ATTACH]
          Last night's GFS seemed to show an very, very subtle Showrtwave moving through causing an MCS like structure in the overnight hours.

Poor Frontal Timing is what is really gonna do us in - and cause parts of SC KS to possibly blank on Precipitation.

Comment

Anyone tracking models showing a Tropical Disturbance in the Gulf the last week of May?

It seems like if it comes to fruition it would hit parts of OK and KS woth much needed rainfall.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
              Last night's GFS seemed to show an very, very subtle Showrtwave moving through causing an MCS like structure in the overnight hours.

Poor Frontal Timing is what is really gonna do us in - and cause parts of SC KS to possibly blank on Precipitation.
              Timing is always the tough thing. Accuweather graphic

Capture.JPG

Comment

SPC highlight for Sat (Day 4), Sun (Day 5) and Mon (Day 6). The Wichita office kind of figured out there is very little chance that anything much is going to happen today with the cap and lack of moisture.

Capture.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                  Anyone tracking models showing a Tropical Disturbance in the Gulf the last week of May?

It seems like if it comes to fruition it would hit parts of OK and KS woth much needed rainfall.

Thoughts?
                  I saw a feature off of the West of Mexico moving into the Gulf of Baja?

Comment

Sunday looks to be quite active as the timing of the storm has slowed down.

Comment

Very interested to see tonight's GFS/NAM. Things are definitely getting interesting and as wsushox mentioned, the models are slowing the system down, which puts Sunday in the driver's seat. I've already looked at the Wichita NWS forecast discussion and "severe weather outbreak" has already been dropped. Again, still a ways out, but things have definitely increased favorably for our area in the severe weather department.
                      Last edited by ShockerFever; May 15, 2013, 10:45 PM.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

This is a very powerful sounding - tonights GFS for KICT on Sunday at 7pm.

Also depending on Whether or not a secondary low can form Monday afternoon to keep moisture around Monday might be a SVR day as well.
                        Last edited by wsushox1; May 16, 2013, 01:38 AM.

Comment

NM
                          Last edited by wsushox1; May 17, 2013, 12:22 AM.

Comment

The show remains to be Sunday afternoon and evening.

Capture.JPG

Comment

Ehhhh

I don't know about this set-up anymore system has now been trending stronger and more progressive. Southerly winds at 500mb.

That's also a really favorably positioned dryline and one I'm not sure is going to be realized.

If the NAM and the GFS were to verifiy verbatim from this morning, and last nights run - the show is going to be in OK and well "East of Turnpike"

Comment

Working...
                              X