Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldn't his PhD advisor and dissertation committee noticed this during the time of the writing and reviews? And with the reporter being unwilling to state his allegations to Muma, it comes across as a hit piece.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
      Shouldn't his PhD advisor and dissertation committee noticed this during the time of the writing and reviews? And with the reporter being unwilling to state his allegations to Muma, it comes across as a hit piece.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Clearly a hit piece. Muma is raising too much money and having record enrollments which is making the other state universities look bad?

Let me guess, the author is a KU grad out of Kansas City or Lawrence?

Comment

• I personally think this author is spot-on. If you look at the Kansas Reflector website, you'll find a completely unbiased and down the middle approach to journalism. /s
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I guess the latest trend is micro-analyzing the papers and dissertations of university presidents? Muma by far isn't the first in recent years. Wasn't it the UPenn pres recently? While it doesn't really affect my opinion of Muma or his job leading WSU, it's not a good look.

How could a doctoral student, who has presumably written a number of papers by the time they do their dissertation, be so clumsy as to "forget" quotations in 5% of their paper? Not that I've been in grad school, let alone done a dissertation, but I'm pretty sure it's the most significant piece of academic work anyone will have done up to that point. I just don't buy the excuse they just forgot the quotes. That's something you learn in high school, if not earlier.

EDIT: In seeing the photo in the linked article of his first paragraph, it's not as if he was trying to pass those passages off as his own. The attribution is clearly there, just not punctuated properly. Still not a great look for a department chair - like he was at the time - to not know how to do that properly, let alone the academic review board that saw it.
            Last edited by RoyalShock; 16 hours ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              I guess the latest trend is micro-analyzing the papers and dissertations of university presidents? Muma by far isn't the first in recent years. Wasn't it the UPenn pres recently? While it doesn't really affect my opinion of Muma or his job leading WSU, it's not a good look.

How could a doctoral student, who has presumably written a number of papers by the time they do their dissertation, be so clumsy as to "forget" quotations in 5% of their paper? Not that I've been in grad school, let alone done a dissertation, but I'm pretty sure it's the most significant piece of academic work anyone will have done up to that point. I just don't buy the excuse they just forgot the quotes. That's something you learn in high school, if not earlier.
              They were requotations, meaning the original work was properly cited and quoted when he first quoted it and then he didn't quote/cite the passages when he reused them.

The 5% doesn't mean 5% of his paper was unquoted quotes. It means the unquoted text only shows up in a single chapter that makes up 5% of his paper. There may literally only be a few unquoted passages, we don't know, but we know it's small and has been independently reviewed as a nothing burger.

Edit: Unless I misinterpreted something from what I read. :)
              Last edited by Kung Wu; 16 hours ago.

Comment

• Nothing burger to a guy like me.
                Go Shocks!

Comment

Working...
                X