This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    Not sure on NIAR but the Cessna stadium Concam is like a still photo. The only thing that changes is the tire tracks in the gravel on the east side.
    Any new updates on the additional bids and when construction will start again?
    Listened to ADKS a couple of weeks ago on KGSO and it sounded like the next phase is delayed until next year after the next Kansas T&F championships. I think due to lack of available funding to start construction to replace the west stadium. This is only my conclusion but the only one that I felt answered why to delay the project.

Comment

• KFH at 53:15 mark
      Sounds like east side kicks off in late September with next phase starting immediately after KSHAA track

Comment

• Wichita State named Academic Institution of the Year by SHPE

​Wichita State University has been named the 2024-25 Academic Institution of the Year by the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, the nation’s largest association dedicated to fostering Hispanic leadership in the STEM field.

The award is part of SHPE's Technical Achievement Recognition program, which recognizes impactful research, professional contributions and community engagement in the STEM community. It will be presented during the STAR Award Gala on Nov. 1 at the Anaheim Convention Center in California.

image.png

Comment

• Saw where the first pieces of steel are up in the new NIAR Center.

Comment

• Update on all of the things that have happened are happening or are about to happen on campus.

WSU - Fall 2024 WSU campus expansion and renovation update

I'm just putting the ones of most interest to me. There's more in the link.

Innovation Campus

NIAR Hub for Advanced Manufacturing Research

Construction on the NIAR HAMR building began in May. Construction is expected to be complete by the end of 2025.

The 170,000-square-foot building is partly funded by an EDA grant and will house advanced manufacturing research labs and associated offices. The building will be located on Innovation Boulevard between the Partnership Building 1 and The Suites. The first floor is primarily labs with offices on the second floor. 

Partnership Building 3B

P3B, located between Partnership Building 3 and The Smart Factory @Wichita, is under construction. It will house the Forensic Crime Gun Intelligence Laboratoryfor the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Shocker Athletics:

University Stadium (formerly Cessna Stadium)

Construction begins in October on Phase 1A at University Stadium. Phase 1A will be complete in time for the Kansas State High School Activities Association Track and Field Championship in May.

Phase 1A will include improvements on the east side of the existing track (underground utility work, seating area for approximately 5,500 on bleacher seats, free-standing field lights, fencing, ticket pavilion, restroom/storage buildings, and plaza).

Wilkins Stadium

Groundbreaking for the indoor practice facility is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Sept. 14 at Wilkins Stadium.

It will feature a 14,400-square-foot practice facility containing a full indoor infield, batting cages and storage areas. 

In September, construction will begin on three pickleball courts between Heskett Center and Hubbard Hall to replace the courts displaced by the indoor softball facility.

Downtown:

Wichita Biomedical Campus

Construction is under way on Phase 1 of the Wichita Biomedical Campus, a $300 million, 471,000-square-foot joint health sciences center, located at the southeast corner of Broadway and William. Phase 1 is a $221 million portion of the project with a size of 350,000 square feet.

Work on foundations and underground utilities will continue throughout 2024 on the eight-story building in the heart of downtown.

The Wichita Biomedical Campus is a joint project between Wichita State and the University of Kansas. Once complete, the campus will combine WSU’s College of Health Professions programs, including its Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic, WSU Tech’s health care program and the Wichita campuses of KU School of Medicine and KU School of Pharmacy.

Construction is anticipated to be complete by the end of 2026.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WSU - Wichita State president honored for visionary leadership

The Kansas Hospital Association has awarded Wichita State University President Rick Muma the 2024 Donald A. Wilson Visionary Award. The award, which was based on a nomination by leadership at Ascension Via Christi, recognizes Muma's efforts in developing the Wichita Biomedical Campus, building partnerships and advancing Wichita’s health education infrastructure.

KHA’s Visionary Award “recognizes hospital-related individuals who have made an outstanding, innovative contribution to health care delivery, health care financing or initiatives that improve the health and clinical outcomes of their community. The award recognizes a hospital-related individual who has been a change agent in the hospital industry,” according to its website.

Muma has been a significant driver behind the vision and development of the Wichita Biomedical Campus, a collaboration with the University of Kansas and WSU Tech. Phase I of the biomedical campus broke ground in downtown Wichita in May, and the first building is expected to open in 2026.

This bold initiative seeks to establish a health care corridor and learning ecosystem, fostering innovation and enhancing the region's medical infrastructure. Muma, who is a licensed physician assistant, has committed his life and career to educating future health professionals.

“I trained, learned, and researched at the Texas Medical Center in Houston, the largest medical complex in the world, and it was a transformative experience to be part of the advanced research, collaboration, and breakthroughs that happen in such a dynamic and innovative environment,” Muma said.

Through its high-tech labs and classroom spaces, the Wichita Biomedical Campus is expected to revolutionize healthcare education, fostering innovative teaching methods and technologies that will significantly enhance clinical outcomes across Kansas and the surrounding region.

“A health sciences center is not merely a structure of bricks and mortar. The Wichita Biomedical Campus has the potential to be the heartbeat of a vibrant and thriving community,” Muma said at the WBC groundbreaking celebration in May. “It promises to be a place where ideas are born, discoveries are made, and lives are changed for the better. With this facility, we are laying the foundation for a brighter, healthier future for generations to come.”

Muma has played a pivotal role in building strong partnerships within Wichita’s health care community. His ongoing efforts — including partnerships with Ascension Via Christi, the Kansas Behavioral Health Center for Excellence and the Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine — aim to significantly expand access for patients across Kansas and the region.

“Rick’s visionary leadership and unwavering dedication to healthcare innovation have transformed Wichita State University and set a new standard for excellence in our community,” said Via Christi Ministry Market CEO Kevin Strecker, who nominated Dr. Muma for the award. “His commitment to fostering partnerships and advancing medical education is truly inspiring. We are proud to have nominated him for the 2024 Donald A. Wilson Visionary Award, and even prouder that he received this prestigious honor.”

Muma will be officially presented with the Visionary Award at a luncheon on Sept. 5 in Overland Park.
              I know there have been some that have had issues with him for some reason, but I think he's done a fantastic job since officially taking over. The fact that he's embraced The Bardo Plan and expanded upon that, been a big supporter of athletics, and of course was a driving force behind the downtown bio-med campus are all reasons to appreciate and support Muma. I'm sure he's not perfect, but he's been damn good for WSU and Wichita.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Sharing this pic here because it not only shows a game at Cessna Stadium with a big crowd in 1969, but also a great view of the campus, and how relatively few buildings there were then.

image.png
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• That is a fantastic picture, but I'm kind of wondering how they got the picture? I don't think the angle is possible from Fairmount Towers, there's nothing else tall enough that I can think of....no drone technology. It has to be plane or helicopter doesn't it? Just seems a little odd for the day, to me at least. What's maybe even more odd is how almost nothing has changed in 55 years to the west side of the stadium. Most of the side parking is the same (a few spots nearest the track have changed to handicapped parking) and of course HLA was modified, but it ain't a lot different...especially when you are talking about more than half a century. I'm a little surprised that 21st was 4 lanes then.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                    Sharing this pic here because it not only shows a game at Cessna Stadium with a big crowd in 1969, but also a great view of the campus, and how relatively few buildings there were then.

image.png
                    A year prior to the plane crash with a full house playing West Texas A&M. Hmmm, interesting…
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Interesting comment in the September KBOR agenda about a "significant new proposal" mentioned by Muma.

"On the research front, the university continues to grow, with a projected 30 percent increase in research expenditures, reaching $370 million. This expansion, while beneficial, places stress on the system, but measures are being taken to manage it effectively. A significant new proposal is the School of Dentistry, addressing the state's dental health professional shortage. With 77 counties lacking adequate dental care and 20 counties having no dentists, the school aims to improve access to dental care across Kansas. The planning phase will involve determining the best approach, whether through a distributed model or by offering scholarships and loan forgiveness to attract dental students to underserved areas."

"President Muma from Wichita State University presented two significant funding requests to address critical needs in education and industry. The first request is for $93.0 million to establish a new School of Dentistry. Although the total estimated cost of the project is $100 million, utilizing existing basic science infrastructure at the Wichita Biomedical Campus could reduce this amount to $60-80 million. Bonding for this project would incur annual debt service costs of $4-5 million, with an additional $6 million needed for ongoing operations. Some operational costs would be offset by tuition revenue from thedental students. President Muma emphasized the importance of conducting a feasibility study and a program statement before proceeding with construction and operation of the building, highlighting the need for thorough planning and assessment."

Comment

• I'm just dropping this in here so hopefully I (or someone) will come back to it with more information. Listening to the OU President talk about an upcoming ballot initiative to help them build a big new basketball arena and gymnastics arena. It's not supposed to raise taxes at all, but he was vague and I know it's just 'coach speak' of sorts. I'm not sure why any money comes from government (tax payers) when the University is sitting on a couple of billion in their endowment fund.

He talked about how it's the new way to do things and it's been done X number of times in Texas and other states (didn't mention Kansas). I'll try to find more info.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker_torero View Post
                          Interesting comment in the September KBOR agenda about a "significant new proposal" mentioned by Muma.

"On the research front, the university continues to grow, with a projected 30 percent increase in research expenditures, reaching $370 million. This expansion, while beneficial, places stress on the system, but measures are being taken to manage it effectively. A significant new proposal is the School of Dentistry, addressing the state's dental health professional shortage. With 77 counties lacking adequate dental care and 20 counties having no dentists, the school aims to improve access to dental care across Kansas. The planning phase will involve determining the best approach, whether through a distributed model or by offering scholarships and loan forgiveness to attract dental students to underserved areas."

"President Muma from Wichita State University presented two significant funding requests to address critical needs in education and industry. The first request is for $93.0 million to establish a new School of Dentistry. Although the total estimated cost of the project is $100 million, utilizing existing basic science infrastructure at the Wichita Biomedical Campus could reduce this amount to $60-80 million. Bonding for this project would incur annual debt service costs of $4-5 million, with an additional $6 million needed for ongoing operations. Some operational costs would be offset by tuition revenue from thedental students. President Muma emphasized the importance of conducting a feasibility study and a program statement before proceeding with construction and operation of the building, highlighting the need for thorough planning and assessment."

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker_torero View Post
                            Interesting comment in the September KBOR agenda about a "significant new proposal" mentioned by Muma.

I often wonder about the dental school as it was brought up a few years back as a need in Kansas and this may have been when Bardo was still around. I know Wichita put forth some effort to get things rolling on some level. It would serve the community and state well and it would be nice for Wichita to be home to such a program since they won't let us have a med or law school.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                              Sharing this pic here because it not only shows a game at Cessna Stadium with a big crowd in 1969, but also a great view of the campus, and how relatively few buildings there were then.

image.png
                              I wish I'd had the opportunity to watch Wichita State football.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I wish I'd had the opportunity to watch Wichita State football.
                                I didn’t miss many football games in person or radio. It was enjoyable, even though we struggled.

Don’t want to sugarcoat anything. We were building a program at this point (October 4, 1969) and finished the season 2–8 (1–3 MVC)​. Previous season 0–10 (0–5 MVC)​. Of course the October 2, 1970 plane crash changed everything… we never recovered and apathy eventually took its toll.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20443629778...ssuid=&var=&wi dg et_ver=artemis&media=COPY
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X