This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
    Can someone explain the "Timeline" slide putting construction of these buildings over 3 years when this is a "20 year plan?" Bardo's not really going to get those all up that fast, is he?
    I assume he believes he can do it or he wouldn't put that out there. Keep in mind those projects are only part of the 20 year plan not the entire plan. Also the mixed used development will be done privately. Who knows for sure, but Dr. Bardo may already have some Letters of Intent from private developers sitting on his desk.

IMHO, if Wichita wants to have a 1% sales tax that would produce a tremendous bang for the buck we should pass that to support Dr. Bardo's vision and get this done ASAP. Then the City has something to sell to business and industry to grow and diversify our economy and to bring jobs to Wichita. However, I am not sure about the legalities of doing that.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 16, 2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

East Baton Rouge parish has a 2% sales tax that goes to "local funding". The overall tax rate is 9% though, much higher than Wichita.

After seeing the Arena Tax come and go, and people visiting Wichita paying part of it, I think is a fantastic idea. Based on raising just under $205 million in two and a half years. Want to bring jobs to Wichita? You need qualified and trained people. Here is an opportunity to increase your qualified employee base.

IBM Center

LSU is using $14 million in funding from the state towards boosting Computer science graduates as part of deal to bring IBM to town.
      Last edited by Downtown Shocker Brown; August 16, 2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        If Wichita State can pull this off Dr. Bardo would certainly leave an enduring legacy. In fact, would he not be considered the greatest WSU President in school history?
        I would say if he accomplishes 50% of his plan he would still be the greates in school history. However, I believe that Dr. Bardo will swing for the fences, and probably pull it off. IMHO, Dr. Bardo already has to be one of the greatest Presidents in WSU history just because of his vision and the boldness to step up to the plate in the huge way that he has. It is much safer to utilize maintenance (status quo) leadership, but that appears not to be Dr. Bardo's style.
        Last edited by Shocker-maniac; August 16, 2014, 02:58 PM.
        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
          East Baton Rouge parish has a 2% sales tax that goes to "local funding". The overall tax rate is 9% though, much higher than Wichita.

After seeing the Arena Tax come and go, and people visiting Wichita paying part of it, I think is a fantastic idea. Based on raising just under $205 million in two and a half years. Want to bring jobs to Wichita? You need qualified and trained people. Here is an opportunity to increase your qualified employee base.

IBM Center

LSU is using $14 million in funding from the state towards boosting Computer science graduates as part of deal to bring IBM to town.
          I think that is a great suggestion from @1972Shocker:, and it would certainly be for the benefit of the Wichita economy. We sorely need to diversify our economy and that is exactly what the Bardo plan is attempting to accomplish.
          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Innovation campus: Big plans, big costs – and big gains?

Part of John Bardo’s job is to act the salesman.

The president of Wichita State University spent much of the past week laying out a detailed case about why the 20 or so new buildings for an innovation project he wants to create on what is now the campus golf course are worth the effort and money.
            He’s proposing that the state, businesses, industries and students join in a new partnership that, if accomplished, would increase the size of the campus by about 50 percent.

It would raise student fees and cost potentially hundreds of millions of dollars, much of that from the private sector or from donations. He plans to start with a $43 million “Experiential Building,” built partly with tax money. Plans call for spending another $70 million (including $12 million in state money) for a new business school alongside a new innovation building. During the next 20 years, if things work out as Bardo hopes, WSU and its partners will build business buildings, residence halls for students and graduate students, apartments for retirees wanting to live on a college campus, a 600-space parking garage, a hotel, ponds, fountains, walking paths, another student center and more, all constructed on the university golf course, which borders Oliver from 17th to 21st streets.
            Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/news/local/edu...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Even though it will probably never happen, I would still like to see WSU have a Dentistry and/or Optometry School. I'll keep dreaming.

Comment

If Wichita State can pull this off Dr. Bardo would certainly leave an enduring legacy. In fact, would he not be considered the greatest WSU President in school history?
                This conversation would have no possibility of happening had it not been for the tireless, exhaustive work of president Morrison. Not sure he can ever be surpassed for that title.
                For anyone looking for more info, find a copy of Uncloistered Halls. Really opened my eyes to the struggles this university has had to overcome.

Comment

My excitement is tempered somewhat by the little voice in the back of my head saying "I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be WSU's version of the Waterwalk." Big ideas are fantastic and I love the ballsy tenacity being exhibited by Bardo - something most of us have never seen in a WSU president - but we're talking about turning a 160 acre manicured, pastoral (but by no means magnificent) golf course into a speculative greenfield. That is a BIG chunk of land in the middle of the city. There is a very real potential for the parcel to look a lot worse than it does now, for a long time into the future, should these ideas not pan out.

Comment

Never used it but I think have a golf course on campus is a good thing. Sad to see they want to take it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      My excitement is tempered somewhat by the little voice in the back of my head saying "I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be WSU's version of the Waterwalk." Big ideas are fantastic and I love the ballsy tenacity being exhibited by Bardo - something most of us have never seen in a WSU president - but we're talking about turning a 160 acre manicured, pastoral (but by no means magnificent) golf course into a speculative greenfield. That is a BIG chunk of land in the middle of the city. There is a very real potential for the parcel to look a lot worse than it does now, for a long time into the future, should these ideas not pan out.
                      One thing is for sure: Without this vision, there would be no chance of an innovation center. So at least there is vision and it's championed from the very top. Worst case 3 or 4 buildings get built and they could lay out a pitch and putt course to keep the grounds in shape. I know there are a lot of people that would pay money for a quick par 54 (par 3 hole only) round of golf.

Don't despair, this president isn't gonna wreck us.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• President Harry Corbin's work to move the University of Wichita into the regents system is pretty historic as well.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Steve and Ted were discussing Dr. Bardo's plan on KNSS Radio this morning. They said Robert Layton, Wichita City Manager, said that WSU's Innovation Center and other plans are exactly the kind of thing the proposed 1% sales tax could be used to support. No assurances if it would be used or how much of it would be used to supports WSU's growth plans but the tone certainly seemed to be positive about using at least some of those funds in that direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            I know there are a lot of people that would pay money for a quick par 54 (par 3 hole only) round of golf.
                            Sierra Hills is OK, but it is a ways out and windy as heck. Greens seem hard.

I'm old enough to remember Gene O'Brien's Pitch and Putt out on the west side. Played that quite a bit especially when I was just learning the game. Pretty short holes mostly and small greens. You really only needed two clubs IIRC. A pitching wedge or 9-iron and your putter. I believe they had a driving range as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I'm old enough to remember Gene O'Brien's Pitch and Putt out on the west side. Played that quite a bit especially when I was just learning the game. Pretty short holes mostly and small greens. You really only needed two clubs IIRC. A pitching wedge or 9-iron and your putter. I believe they had a driving range as well.
                              Yeah, there is a really nice pitch and putt up in K.C. that would be a good model too. A pitch and putt in a business environment would be pretty darn sweet actually. You can take 3 clubs with you and get a full round in in just a couple hours and get decent practice where you probably need it most ... within 100 yards of the green.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                I know there are a lot of people that would pay money for a quick par 54 (par 3 hole only) round of golf.

Many moons ago I played a Par 3 course in Tulsa where I shot the round of my life, a smooth '72'. Hey, that's bogey golf. :p

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X