This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    Whenever I hear anyone gripe about WSU's parking situation, I quickly and sarcastically respond with, "Yeah, Wichita State University is the first higher education institution in the history of humanity that has ever had parking issues."
    I don't give a **** about ever parking at KU

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
      Brookings: WSU among top collaborative R&D and innovation environments

http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/wsunew...ease/?nid=2904
      "If they do this study again in five years, I think we have a great shot at being No. 2,” says WSU President John Bardo."

"But for WSU to rank so high on Brookings' list, especially without a medical school that drives such research investments in many of the other top metro areas, is a measure of validation for the city and the university as a research and innovation hub."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        Okay, I know the building you are talking about. No idea what they do with it today. Nothing directly in context with students, I don't believe.
        The old ROTC building no longer exists. It was a wooden structure with the Army on one side and Air Force on the other. I agree that they should try and bring back at least one ROTC unit.

Comment

• I don't think they had the ROTC building when I was in school from 86 to 91, but I think we did have ROTC at that time, IIRC.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
            The old ROTC building no longer exists. It was a wooden structure with the Army on one side and Air Force on the other. I agree that they should try and bring back at least one ROTC unit.
            My first 2 years at WSU, I was part of a work/study program. My work was being a custodian in the ROTC building from 4:30 to 11:00 PM. That old building made some horrible moaning noises when the wind would blow. I can't remember the specific event, other than Viet Nam, that triggered the protest but we were evacuated a couple of nights for fear that protesters would torch it. It wasn't Kent State, that was before I was on campus. It wouldn't have taken long for that box to burn to the ground. The Air Force officers were a cool bunch but the Army side was pretty hard assed. The Master Sergeant was a cool dude. I still have a wooden ammo box half full of 22 LR that he gave me.
            One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

• WSU does NOT have a parking problem.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Yes they do. Have you ever tried to park an adult size car in the allotted parking slots made for student body cars. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  Yes they do. Have you ever tried to park an adult size car in the allotted parking slots made for student body cars. :)
                  Ah yes, the freshman four-door effect.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I remember the parking lot vultures always bitching. I never had problems in the late 90's to 2001. All I had to do was walk a few extra blocks. Last time I checked, exercise isn't bad. Now if there were complaints of not enough handicap spots, I could understand.

We all know that parking garages are slated to be built. Everyone that uses the lovely campus should just use some patience. Of course alot of people don't even know the definition of that anymore.

I had friends that went to that farm school up 177 and they said parking at WSU was awesome compared to there. And our buildings are fairly close, unlike many spread out campuses.

People just want to ***** and moan, so this is the topic they choose.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                      I had friends that went to that farm school up 177 and they said parking at WSU was awesome compared to there. And our buildings are fairly close, unlike many spread out campuses.
                      My brother-in-law has talked about how the long-range plan for that campus is to essentially do away with campus parking, which would maximize space for buildings.
                      78-65

Comment

• I've never attempted to park on the WSU campus except for sporting events. I have had many friends/family that went to WSU, and the only complaint I ever heard about parking was from females who took night classes. Apparently, depending on where the classes were, on certain nights (if I understand correctly, basketball or baseball nights), the places they normally parked were filled with fans, leaving no room for them, which in turn forced them to park some distance away from the building their classes were in. The complaints I heard were never about the exercise, but about safety. I think we could all agree that 21st and Hillside isn't exactly a great place for a single female to be walking very far alone to get to their car in the dark.
                        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                          I've never attempted to park on the WSU campus except for sporting events. I have had many friends/family that went to WSU, and the only complaint I ever heard about parking was from females who took night classes. Apparently, depending on where the classes were, on certain nights (if I understand correctly, basketball or baseball nights), the places they normally parked were filled with fans, leaving no room for them, which in turn forced them to park some distance away from the building their classes were in. The complaints I heard were never about the exercise, but about safety. I think we could all agree that 21st and Hillside isn't exactly a great place for a single female to be walking very far alone to get to their car in the dark.
                          There is a ton of parking on campus on game nights. You may have to park at a lot on the other side of campus near the engineering buildings, but I have never seen the campus parking lots so full on a game night that you couldn't find somewhere to park at night. In fact, quite often I park over at the engineering building parking lots on game nights just for the walk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            There is a ton of parking on campus on game nights. You may have to park at a lot on the other side of campus near the engineering buildings, but I have never seen the campus parking lots so full on a game night that you couldn't find somewhere to park at night. In fact, quite often I park over at the engineering building parking lots on game nights just for the walk.
                            And a pre-game beer at the Fieldhouse, and then a convenient post-game beer at the Fieldhouse on the walk back?
                            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                              And a pre-game beer at the Fieldhouse, and then a convenient post-game beer at the Fieldhouse on the walk back?
                              Not a bad idea!

Comment

• Like I said, I'm not very familiar with the parking situation, only that the females that I know that have taken night classes there were uncomfortable as far as their safety was concerned when they had to walk a distance to their cars alone in the dark. I don't know if it was warranted or not warranted, only that I have heard it from 3, so I assumed there to be at least some level of accuracy to it.

On another note, I have only been to the Fieldhouse once, and I saw my favorite sign ever inside. It was 10-12 years ago, but IIRC it said "Please do not throw your cigarettes on the floor, as we don't want our patrons burning their knees as they crawl out the door."
                                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                                X