This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Sterve Clark, a former Board of Regents member, owned the SW corner of 13th and Rock from shortly after it was the polo grounds. Steve was holding it as an investment and was very cautious about the types of development he would allow. He sold a few chunks on the west end for some churches. He sold some chunks on the south end for residential. Last I knew he still owned the land under the Polo Club Office Park. Tenants signed long-term leases to build on that property.

He may have sold it to the Kochs. I lost contact with Steve a few years back. The Kochs didn't need to buy that parcel to ensure there would never be undesirable commercial development there.I think Steve may have been the first WSU alum to serve on the Board of Regents.
    The parcel we're talking about was acquired by the Kochs in May of 1988, from Woodlawn Development Corporation, which looks to be associated with the Ablah family. The only activity before that was with a guy named Bill Morin. It was platted in January of 1986 in exactly the same manner that it sits vacant today.

Wal-Mart bought the chunk of land they now sit on in August of 1989. They bought the land from the same people who sold the SW corner of 13th & Rock to the Kochs - the Ablah's via Woodlawn Development Corporation.

That info seems to jive pretty well with the story I've always heard, and unless Clark was a partner with the Ablah's, it is not clear how he was invested into either deal.

(All public info, BTW.)

Comment

• With all of the discussion on zoning I am surprised no one mentioned the the Sedgwick County comminisioners approved the rezoning of the former Braeburn golf course to facilitate the development of the Innovative Campus. From the Eagle "The University expansion will encompass a 120 acre site and bring as many as 10,000 additional people to work and study and in some cases live on the campus." The endowment/gift to the university was a really great deal but the zoning change ensures the project continues moving ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
        With all of the discussion on zoning I am surprised no one mentioned the the Sedgwick County comminisioners approved the rezoning of the former Braeburn golf course to facilitate the development of the Innovative Campus. From the Eagle "The University expansion will encompass a 120 acre site and bring as many as 10,000 additional people to work and study and in some cases live on the campus." The endowment/gift to the university was a really great deal but the zoning change ensures the project continues moving ahead.
        I assume 17th from Hillside to Oliver, as well as Oliver from the NE Expressway to at least central is going to need some expansion and repairs of the street. Some of that stretch as I recall is pretty rough and tight. 10k additional people either working/studying/living on campus could make for some interesting congestion.
        Are there any announced plans for street expansion repair?
        That area will truly become a crown jewel of the Wichita metro area.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
          I assume 17th from Hillside to Oliver, as well as Oliver from the NE Expressway to at least central is going to need some expansion and repairs of the street. Some of that stretch as I recall is pretty rough and tight. 10k additional people either working/studying/living on campus could make for some interesting congestion.
          I know they announced a lot of infrastructure work that would be needed, but I don't recall if street expansion was on that list.

Comment

• New partnership worth $600,000 will provide jobs to WSU students

Ennovar, the Institute of Emerging Technology and Market Solutions at Wichita State University, announced details of a new extensive partnership with California-based Social Networking Technology Inc. The one-year contract worth more than $600,000 will provide for 18 student support positions in the fall semester and up to 30 positions by the end of the contract.

ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• According to the The Wichita Business Journal, it looks like more growth is coming for the Innovation campus:

Wichita State president hints at future innovation campus tenants

The plan to create an innovation campus at Wichita State University is building momentum. And interest from private companies wanting to partner with the university is increasing.

Wichita State is negotiating with several major computing firms and international companies about being part of the university’s innovation campus. He also mentioned the possibility of a partnership with a crash test company from Spain.

Last edited by Shocker-maniac; May 13, 2015, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Looks like we will soon be seeing tangible results of the innovation campus with construction starting on the first building by the first of June and the end of June for the second building.

Wichita State nears construction starts on first two innovation campus buildings

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/n...t.html?ana=twt

Comment

• Wichita State tech institute hires consultant to explore solutions opportunities for water, energy industries

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/n...ultant-to.html

Comment

• Dondlinger & Sons low bidder for Wichita State’s experiential engineering building

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/n...a-state-s.html

Comment

• WSU professors join forces on bacteria study that could have agricultural impact

Wichita State University microbiology professor Mark Schneegurt and ornithology professor Chris Rogers have discovered that one of North America’s most common migratory birds – the Dark-eyed Junco – carries on its feathers a remarkable diversity of plant bacteria, the greatest ever found on wild birds.

Wild birds interact with the environment, contacting soils and plants with their feathers. Those feathers filter the air, gathering particles of soil and plant matter. Because microbes are everywhere in nature, feathers naturally carry a diverse community of microbes. And as for Juncos specifically, these migratory birds can fly 200 or more miles a night, making them highly capable of spreading bacteria over large swaths of land.

The pair have also found many isolates that actually degrade bird feathers. Not good for the birds, but of possible interest to biotechnology companies. Schneegurt says these bacteria could be used to break down enzymes in laundry detergent, as well as other industrial and potential medical uses.

http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/stories/story.asp?si=2863

Comment

• Wichita State one of15 recipients of NASA award for research

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/na...ard-recipients

Comment

Curious as to whether work has started on the 17th / Oliver intersection.

Comment

Curious as to whether work has started on the 17th / Oliver intersection.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article11332934.html
                            I would probably be able to tell you if they didn't have to close Braeburn. :(
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                              I would probably be able to tell you if they didn't have to close Braeburn. :(
                              Closing Braeburn was the plan 50 years ago when WSU acquired it. They took long enough getting around to it.
                              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Innovation campus partnership #2 announced.

Comment

Working...
                                X