Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, SHOCKvalue, you could always move to Houston, where you could have a massage parlor in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Or a refinery built around an apartment complex (both are probably a little extreme), but we have no zoning here, so some of the 'stuff' that gets built in neighborhoods might be funny to the casual observer and horrible to the neighborhood.

A hazardous waste recycling company was recycling solvents and other dangerous chemicals in a residential neighborhood. It took about two years of complaining and state government's involvement (some of the waste they were recycling was highly toxic, there wasn't sufficient scrubbers to remove toxic waste as it was incinerated, so it was spewed all over the neighborhood) to make sure they got shut down.

Sometimes I wish there was some form of zoning in Houston to not only preserve the old neighborhoods, but also prevent businesses who would otherwise blight a neighborhood (as in the example above) from moving in. All the chemical smells and strange ash deposits on cars and homes pretty much crashed the value of the individual's investments in that neighborhood, I'm thinking that forcing the recycler to close probably fixed it, but not until all the toxic waste was hauled away.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
      Well, SHOCKvalue, you could always move to Houston, where you could have a massage parlor in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Or a refinery built around an apartment complex (both are probably a little extreme), but we have no zoning here, so some of the 'stuff' that gets built in neighborhoods might be funny to the casual observer and horrible to the neighborhood.

A hazardous waste recycling company was recycling solvents and other dangerous chemicals in a residential neighborhood. It took about two years of complaining and state government's involvement (some of the waste they were recycling was highly toxic, there wasn't sufficient scrubbers to remove toxic waste as it was incinerated, so it was spewed all over the neighborhood) to make sure they got shut down.

Sometimes I wish there was some form of zoning in Houston to not only preserve the old neighborhoods, but also prevent businesses who would otherwise blight a neighborhood (as in the example above) from moving in. All the chemical smells and strange ash deposits on cars and homes pretty much crashed the value of the individual's investments in that neighborhood, I'm thinking that forcing the recycler to close probably fixed it, but not until all the toxic waste was hauled away.
      There's a lot of places in this country that I would like to magically transport my life, career, family, and friends to, but Houston isn't even remotely on that list. I'll take living in Wichita any day over living in most of the major cities in TX, and that says something because I'm solidly 'meh' on ol' Doo Dah. Even if you put a gun to my head and said I had to relocate somewhere of size within the confines of TX, I don't know what other town would beat out Houston for last on that list.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        So that's going in on the NE corner.

Walgreens or CVS (can't recall which) recently wanted to build on the NW corner there but I believe the planning commission shot them down (not even sure it got that far, might have been a neighborhood advisory committee). Apparently the highest and best use of a hard corner at a busy intersection is a residential use. Only in Wichita, Kansas, America.
        It may seem odd, but how long has that corner been privately owned as a residence, perhaps by the same owner or family? It might well have been a residence long before any commercial was near. There is also a hard corner at the NE corner of 13th and Rock, but I doubt it will see a rezoning anytime soon. Might have something to do with the resident of that property!
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
          It may seem odd, but how long has that corner been privately owned as a residence, perhaps by the same owner or family? It might well have been a residence long before any commercial was near. There is also a hard corner at the NE corner of 13th and Rock, but I doubt it will see a rezoning anytime soon. Might have something to do with the resident of that property!
          The owner of the parcel that sits directly on the NW corner of 21st and Oliver is the head of the Marks gypsy clan. They were actually the ones that were going to sell in order to develop the corner. It was other adjoining property owners that raised a fuss and nuked it.

It wasn't about developers trying to force people off their property; it was about outside forces wishing to limit usage of land they do not own themselves. Not really a corollary to the Kochs, who own both the NE 1/4 section off of 13th and Rock, and the rather large chunk of vacant land that sits caddy-corner across the intersection.

The usage of land and its zoning naturally evolves throughout time. That's why we don't have wheat fields in downtown Wichita. It is also why residential properties don't sit on hard corners of busy intersections, generally.

Comment

There's a lot of places in this country that I would like to magically transport my life, career, family, and friends to, but Houston isn't even remotely on that list. I'll take living in Wichita any day over living in most of the major cities in TX, and that says something because I'm solidly 'meh' on ol' Doo Dah. Even if you put a gun to my head and said I had to relocate somewhere of size within the confines of TX, I don't know what other town would beat out Houston for last on that list.
            A little harsh don't you think? You have some bad experiences in Houston?

Comment

The owner of the parcel that sits directly on the NW corner of 21st and Oliver is the head of the Marks gypsy clan. They were actually the ones that were going to sell in order to develop the corner. It was other adjoining property owners that raised a fuss and nuked it.

It wasn't about developers trying to force people off their property; it was about outside forces wishing to limit usage of land they do not own themselves. Not really a corollary to the Kochs, who own both the NE 1/4 section off of 13th and Rock, and the rather large chunk of vacant land that sits caddy-corner across the intersection.

The usage of land and its zoning naturally evolves throughout time. That's why we don't have wheat fields in downtown Wichita. It is also why residential properties don't sit on hard corners of busy intersections, generally.
              Oh I know land usage should change as a community grows, and that good zoning has great benefits. Now I agree if the owner was willing to sell and the spot was logical for commercial, there should be better reason than NIMBY by the neighbors to ax it. Especially at a bustling corner like that one. As for that SW chunk on 13th and Rock, I surmised the Kochs owned it, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they don't want to develop it or at least make it available for some kind of use. It makes for a strange parcel of empty land.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                A little harsh don't you think? You have some bad experiences in Houston?
                Just not a fan of most of Texas in general. Sorry... not political or personal. I honestly don't understand the draw, at all. I can only imagine most are fixated on jobs and careers when they move down there, because I can't figure out what else it could be. Most everything in Texas to me feels like a really overgrown version of Wichita, but with way worse traffic and sprawl, and summers. It is a huge state, so obviously it doesn't all suck, but I'm not into most of the big cities there.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                  Oh I know land usage should change as a community grows, and that good zoning has great benefits. Now I agree if the owner was willing to sell and the spot was logical for commercial, there should be better reason than NIMBY by the neighbors to ax it. Especially at a bustling corner like that one. As for that SW chunk on 13th and Rock, I surmised the Kochs owned it, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they don't want to develop it or at least make it available for some kind of use. It makes for a strange parcel of empty land.
                  Well they have so much money that stuff that would cross the conscience of people like you and me does not for them. You or I understand that piece of ground would bring a really tidy sum, but that is lost on them due to their wealth, I would guess.

The story on that corner is that the Kochs bought it to prevent a Wal-Mart being built there - back 30 years ago or whatever.

But yeah... you'd think they'd sell it, at least in smaller parcels to prevent a big box, if that is what they don't want.

Comment

• $4.75 million from Dorothy and Bill Cohen.

Comment

• Sterve Clark, a former Board of Regents member, owned the SW corner of 13th and Rock from shortly after it was the polo grounds. Steve was holding it as an investment and was very cautious about the types of development he would allow. He sold a few chunks on the west end for some churches. He sold some chunks on the south end for residential. Last I knew he still owned the land under the Polo Club Office Park. Tenants signed long-term leases to build on that property.

He may have sold it to the Kochs. I lost contact with Steve a few years back. The Kochs didn't need to buy that parcel to ensure there would never be undesirable commercial development there.I think Steve may have been the first WSU alum to serve on the Board of Regents.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                        $4.75 million from Dorothy and Bill Cohen.
                        I think there's another $250K...

Donations to the Wichita State University Foundation support athletics, faculty and students across the university. Plan your giving today.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• RIP Luther...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Check your PM, Dan.

Comment

• Really like Luther, sorry he passed on.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                                I think there's another $250K...

http://foundation.wichita.edu/
                                Thanks.

I was going off of this tweet:

Daniel McCoy
                                @ICTBiz_dmccoy
                                Dorothy and Bill Cohen give @wichita:State honors college $4.75M. Will be renamed in their honor

Comment

Working...
                                X