Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle - City names site for new WSU-KU Wichita Biomedical Center: 'This is going to be big'

On Tuesday, the Wichita City Council will consider a last-minute agenda item that’s a memorandum of understanding between the city, the University of Kansas Medical Center and Wichita State University for the new Wichita Biomedical Center in downtown.

“This is going to be big,” said Assistant City Manager Troy Anderson. “This project is going to transform not only downtown but our entire region as it relates to healthcare (and) medical.”

The city has two sites — the southeast corner of Broadway and William where a parking lot is and the southeast corner of Topeka and William where the Wichita Transit center is currently — that it is offering to sell or lease to the institutions.
    We're getting closer. Construction is expected to start next summer and be finished in 2026.

At first I was thinking this would be one giant property with the two sites, but the way the Eagle has it they're just different corners, unless it was meant to read southwest corner of Topeka and William. I'm not familiar with the area so I'm not sure what either property looks like, but it will be huge for the city/region/state when it's up and running.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      Eagle - City names site for new WSU-KU Wichita Biomedical Center: 'This is going to be big'

We're getting closer. Construction is expected to start next summer and be finished in 2026.

At first I was thinking this would be one giant property with the two sites, but the way the Eagle has it they're just different corners, unless it was meant to read southwest corner of Topeka and William. I'm not familiar with the area so I'm not sure what either property looks like, but it will be huge for the city/region/state when it's up and running.
      Looks like both lots to be included.
      first the L - shape surface parking lot site and then across the street where the bus transit center is located

Comment

• WBJ - This looks to be the site of the new KU-WSU biomedical campus downtown

Under the MOU, the city would be responsible to construct a parking lot or structure "in close proximity," the size, scope and location of which will be determined over the next few months. The city plans to later set up an agreement to lease parking spaces to KU and WSU.

Both properties up for consideration total roughly 1.8 acres for a total of nearly 4 acres of planned development.

The MOU is meant to set the stage for further discussions and negotiations about a future development agreement and incentives, and does not represent contractual obligations

The proposed site is positioned in the heart of recent downtown redevelopment efforts south of Douglas Avenue.

In addition to the culinary school to the north, the recently opened Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine is at the northwest corner of Broadway and William, with plans for an AC Marriott Hotel and student housing nearby.
        Nearly 500,000 square feet. Sounds like the city will be building a parking garage somewhere nearby.

I do think being near NICHE isn't a bad thing as they'll have a number of food options available by the time the med center is open, which will help give dining options to med students.

This link gives a view of the area, or it should.

I believe someone is planning student housing in the area as well, but that may be the other medical school behind it. But one would think that you're going to see more apartments/shopping/dining show up in the area with the amount of people this will bring downtown. And some within the City seem to believe this will be the tipping point for getting a grocery store downtown.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WSU - Location for WSU/KU Wichita Biomedical Campus approved

The Wichita City Council approved a plan today that will move forward a project between Wichita State University and the University of Kansas to build a 471,000-square-foot health sciences center in the heart of downtown Wichita.

Council members agreed to sell or lease two tracts of land – at 214 S. Topeka (where the Wichita Transit Center, set to move to Delano, is currently located) and a parking lot at the southeast corner of Broadway and William.

With $205 million of the necessary $300 million raised for the project, construction on the Wichita Biomedical Campus is expected to start in early 2024 and be completed some time in 2026.

The campus will combine WSU’s College of Health Professions, WSU Tech’s Health Professions program and Wichita campuses of KU School of Medicine and KU School of Pharmacy into one location. There will be shared spaces for advanced laboratories, clinical research and technology.

Initially, about 3,000 students and 200 faculty and staff will be housed at the center, with opportunities for growth in existing and new programs.

The pooling of these collective health science and biomedical resources and experiences will result in remarkable opportunities for collaboration, innovation and research.

Once open, the Wichita Biomedical Campus will be nothing short of transformational for Wichita and the entire state in health care and health care education, says WSU President Dr. Rick Muma.
          Officially another step closer.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I’m very interested in seeing the architectural renderings for the site(s) and the proposed physical layout. You’d think they’d need to be pretty advanced as the timeline to start construction is tight. With two separate properties separated by Topeka it raises the question of whether a covered ped bridge will be built at a later phase to connect them.

The city now also has a drop dead date to move the transit center, something that from my perspective they’ve dragged their feet on since the design and plan of the “multimodal center” in Delano was announced.

Comment

• I believe they previously had a number of base renderings in different styles which I'm sure they've expanded on and can use as a starting point.

I would guess since Topeka separates the properties that there would be some sort of sky bridge that connects them.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Why wouldn't you just opt to close Topeka halfway from William to English, This would allow for one structure and eliminate the need for a sky walk.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Absolute worst place you could have ever chosen to locate it. Right next to the arena lmao. No surprise though because... Wichita.

Comment

• WBJ - Wichita State's NIAR receives $100 million contract to work on longtime Air Force aircraft

Wichita State University's National Institute for Aviation Research has received a five-year, $100 million contract to find digital engineering solutions on longtime pieces of the U.S. Air Force fleet.

NIAR said work will begin on four legacy aircraft: the B-52 Stratofortress, the C-130 Hercules, the F-16 Fighting Falcon and the B-1 Lancer. NIAR will work to complete the development of digital twins for the Falcon and Lancer.

"This contract will extend our reach in military sustainment R&D efforts, growing the Wichita workforce and providing additional applied learning opportunities for Wichita State students," said Melinda Laubach-Hook, director of NIAR's Sustainment Lab. "It is a natural extension of our existing Digital Twin work, and will expedite the DoD’s digital transformation initiative across legacy airframes, providing contemporary methods to manage sustainment and improve mission readiness rates.”
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker_torero View Post
                      I’m very interested in seeing the architectural renderings for the site(s) and the proposed physical layout. You’d think they’d need to be pretty advanced as the timeline to start construction is tight. With two separate properties separated by Topeka it raises the question of whether a covered ped bridge will be built at a later phase to connect them.

The city now also has a drop dead date to move the transit center, something that from my perspective they’ve dragged their feet on since the design and plan of the “multimodal center” in Delano was announced.
                      My best approach for what $300M might build in downtown Wichita in this class or category would start off with Google-ing what $150M has built in other downtown metros for similar purposes. This based on being a life-long Wichitan and watching the development of Water Walk, the baseball stadium, and the arena.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

My best approach for what $300M might build in downtown Wichita in this class or category would start off with Google-ing what $150M has built in other downtown metros for similar purposes. This based on being a life-long Wichitan and watching the development of Water Walk, the baseball stadium, and the arena.
                          That gave me a good laugh.
                          Last edited by Shoxing Me Softly; August 5, 2023, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• WSU - WSU engineering professor leads $2 million grant toward curbing nitrous oxide emissions

Bolstered by a $2 million National Science Foundation (NSF) grant, a group of Wichita State University researchers is hoping to create a paradigm shift from the use of harmful nitrous oxide-based fertilizers to more eco-friendly nitrogen fertilizers that would reduce greenhouse gases.

The project to curb nitrous oxide is a collaboration between researchers at WSU and Iowa State University, led by WSU’s Dr. Shuang Gu, associate professor in the College of Engineering, and Dr. Wenzhen Li, a professor in the College of Engineering at Iowa State. The ISU researchers also received $2 million from the NSF Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR).

The WSU team will work alongside the ISU team to explore fertilizers that have a lower environmental footprint by reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, including nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide, with the goal of enabling a shift toward more sustainable agriculture.

“Our research is important because nitrous oxide has 300 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide and contributed to 7% of United States GHG emissions in 2020,” said Gu. “A staggering 74% of nitrous oxide emissions come from agricultural fertilizer applications, a percentage driven largely by the ever-growing demand for food, fiber and energy.”

'A deeper understanding'

The project goal is to develop an electro-manufacturing system powered by renewable energy (wind and sunlight) to produce green nitrogen fertilizers that are fundamentally different from current thermo-manufacturing processes that consume non-renewable fossil energy (coal, petroleum and natural gas). The use of renewable energy rather than non-renewable fossil energy could alleviate the agricultural impact of climate change while ensuring the sustainability of Midwest farming and ranching.

Green fertilizer technology holds great potential to create higher-wage jobs for local farming and ranching regions, especially for low-income minorities in rural areas, thus expanding capabilities and opportunities for agricultural communities that are disproportionately affected by climate change. As such, they have partnered with Dodge City Community College (DC3) in mentoring minority students and training minority-teaching instructors in closely aligned areas, including agricultural science and farm and ranch management.

The project outcome should lead to a deep understanding of GHG nitrous oxide emission, nitrate upcycling, urea synthesis, carbon dioxide capture and conversion, and green nitrogen fertilizer utilization in agriculture. It should also open an avenue for new generations of technologies for nitrous oxide and nitrate sensing, anion-selective membrane and efficient chemical manufacturing.

“This research project brings together a multidisciplinary team of scientists from WSU and ISU that could enable an important paradigm shift,” said Dr. Anthony Muscat, dean of the WSU College of Engineering. “Their work has the potential to set the foundation for fostering collaborations and associations in both GHG nitrous oxide reduction and green fertilizer promotion across academia, government, industries, agriculture and communities.”
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Interesting new addition to campus life.

The Spy Who Billed Me - Wichita State University Teams Up with Starship to Bring Delivery Robots to Campus

Wichita State University (WSU) in Kansas has partnered with Starship to introduce autonomous food delivery robots to its campus. WSU is the first university in the state to implement this technology.

The delivery robots, known as Starship Robots, will enable staff members to fulfill orders and deliver them across campus. Students can receive their meals outside of their classrooms, eliminating the need to walk in the heat. The robots are 99% autonomous, capable of navigating foot traffic and completing deliveries without human intervention.

The delivery service offers personalization options, allowing users to select the robot’s personality and even choose the music that plays when their food is delivered. Initially, food options will come from various locations on campus, including the Rhatigan Student Center, the convenience store, and a ghost kitchen called the Black and Gold Grill.

To order through the Starship – Food Deliver app, users can download the app, customize their order, and drop a pin on the map to indicate their location on campus. Once the robot arrives at the designated spot, the user can unlock it using the app and receive their order securely.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Will the robot cuss you out & drop the food on the ground if you aren't a George?

Comment

Working...
                                X