X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIAR is a big deal

WBJ - Meet the highest-paid Wichita State University employees

One look at the top Wichita State University salaries for 2022-23 is all you need to see the importance of the National Institute for Aviation Research to the university.

NIAR employees, led by senior vice president John Tomblin's $1.05 million salary, take up 11 of 20 spots on the WBJ's compiled list of WSU salaries. Their combined annual salary of $5.3 million is 63.3% of the top 20 salaries.

You can see the top 20 salaries in the gallery attached to this blog.
    Slide show in link should be viewable and shows the list.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• This has been a topic since 2012 and yes things have slowed down a bit since it was started so I wanted to take a quick look and see where this started and where it is now. The following numbers don\t show total full time enrollments or or total number of hours but the raw numbers are amazing. Enrollment listed in 2012 was 12,696 and head count in 2023 with WSU Tech included which was not included in 2012 is 23,203. So as the topic high lights Wichita State was poised for massive growth. As the numbers have grown each year on the face of it we are now the #2 university in the state. #1 better watch out Go Shocks

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
        This has been a topic since 2012 and yes things have slowed down a bit since it was started so I wanted to take a quick look and see where this started and where it is now. The following numbers don\t show total full time enrollments or or total number of hours but the raw numbers are amazing. Enrollment listed in 2012 was 12,696 and head count in 2023 with WSU Tech included which was not included in 2012 is 23,203. So as the topic high lights Wichita State was poised for massive growth. As the numbers have grown each year on the face of it we are now the #2 university in the state. #1 better watch out Go Shocks
        A friend of mine works on campus and heard Muma say that WSU is positioned to be the largest-enrollment school in Kansas (though my friend wasn’t clear as to the timeline of when that could happen).

78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

A friend of mine works on campus and heard Muma say that WSU is positioned to be the largest-enrollment school in Kansas (though my friend wasn’t clear as to the timeline of when that could happen).
          It would make sense. There are a lot of city centered universities with huge enrollments and since we landed The Bardo who had an actual vision for Wichita and not just there to keep things nice and neat we've started to see that growth. The Innovation Campus was genius and the downtown medical facility along with the continued growth of Tech is only going to keep pushing enrollment numbers higher. Having solid athletics also won't hurt. I'd like to think by 2030 we might be pushing 28K, but I'm just throwing out numbers based roughly on current growth as well as the projected numbers they think they'll see at the Biomedical Campus. 30K by 2035?

Now I'm curious what the per credit hour sports/athletics fee is for students. Just wonder what kind of money is going to athletics through that and how much would be at 30K. I may look into that later.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

It would make sense. There are a lot of city centered universities with huge enrollments and since we landed The Bardo who had an actual vision for Wichita and not just there to keep things nice and neat we've started to see that growth. The Innovation Campus was genius and the downtown medical facility along with the continued growth of Tech is only going to keep pushing enrollment numbers higher. Having solid athletics also won't hurt. I'd like to think by 2030 we might be pushing 28K, but I'm just throwing out numbers based roughly on current growth as well as the projected numbers they think they'll see at the Biomedical Campus. 30K by 2035?

Now I'm curious what the per credit hour sports/athletics fee is for students. Just wonder what kind of money is going to athletics through that and how much would be at 30K. I may look into that later.
            The only caveat I would add would be that I want to see what happens starting in about 3-5 years. There is a thing called the Enrollment Cliff in higher education that is coming. Birth rates plummeted at the beginning of the Great Recession, which started in 2008. That age level hits college enrollment in about 2026.

I think a larger metropolitan university like WSU will probably still be okay (though likely not completely unaffected). However, we are going to see the fit hit the shan on small private KCAC-type institutions and maybe even smaller publics like Emporia and Hays. Kids are already choosing not to go to college at a staggering clip (not saying that is good or bad…just saying it’s happening), and the impending lack of kids in our general population is really going to put a crunch on that.

78-65

Comment

• If even we come close to surpassing KU's enrollment numbers, they will lawyer up and steal the biomed campus. They'll want Wichita and they will push hard for it.

"Due to breach of this, and breach of that, and only-med-school-in-the-state and yada yada yada"
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• WSU - WSU Innovation Campus wins Emerging Research Park Award

The Association of University Research Parks (AURP) has awarded Wichita State’s Innovation Campus with the 2023 Emerging Research Park Award at its annual international conference held this week.

Each year AURP recognizes a research park or innovation district that, within 10 years, has created an exceptional ecosystem which brings technology from inception to market, creates high-paying jobs, and contributes to the economic health of its region.

In 2012, WSU had a bold vision of what the Innovation Campus could be. And now — as the Innovation Campus nears its 10th anniversary — an underutilized area of campus has been transformed into 120 acres of state-of-the-art research facilities, collaborative partnerships and educational opportunities with more than 50 partner businesses to date.

The Innovation Campus boasts partners such as Dassault Systèmes, Deloitte’s Smart Factory @ Wichita, NetApp, Airbus, Spirit AeroSystems, Textron Aviation, the Law Enforcement Training Center, Hexagon, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and GoCreate, a Koch Collaborative.

It includes dozens of research and testing labs where WSU students work side by side with industry to gain hands-on learning experience while those businesses simultaneously benefit from the partnership and proximity to Kansas’ only urban public research university.

Wichita State has also built a research and entrepreneurial infrastructure on the Innovation Campus, including the Hub for Advanced Manufacturing Research, Digital Research and Transformation Hub (home to WSU’s National Institute for Research and Digital Transformation), Wayne and Kay Woolsey Hall (home to the Frank W. Barton School of Business), and WSU’s Advanced Virtual Engineering and Testing Labs, but also restaurants, a hotel and a YMCA wellness center. These facilities work in concert with faculty, students, business and industry to innovate the technologies of tomorrow and improve the wellbeing of our university community.

“What started as a golf course and a lofty dream a decade ago has now blossomed into an entire innovation ecosystem,” said Wichita State President Rick Muma. “Wichita State’s Innovation Campus is a shining example of what Shocker Nation can achieve through determination, meticulous planning, and the courage to lead Kansas into a brighter future.”
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A little more on WSU and Knowmadics

WBJ - Knowmadics, Wichita State partner to enhance satellite security in space

Performed through Wichita State's new National Institute for Research and Digital Transformation, the new collaboration is "designed to identify potential anomalies in satellite operations and, if possible, restore an affected satellite to full working order," Knowmadics says.

"Given WSU’s top-notch cyber degree program and their rich history in aerospace research and academics, they’re an ideal partner for this effort," Knowmadics said last month. "We are strong believers in the talent and innovation to be found at WSU. We consider ourselves fortunate to not only be able to leverage their current faculty and student body, but also to access the state-of-the-art resources and equipment at the new Digital Research and Transformation Hub building on the main campus."

In November, Knowmadics opened a Cyber Center of Excellence at Groover Labs in downtown Wichita for national cybersecurity initiatives, and has been growing its local presence since then.
                  Knowmadics says the new partnership with WSU is the first of several contracts to come with the university.

“We are excited to draw upon both the software and hardware-based R&D expertise at Wichita State,” said Paul Maguire, CEO of Knowmadics.

The program aims to strengthen the collection and transfer of data in satellite constellations and satellite-based communications, the university says.
                  “This is an excellent example of the type of collaborations that we envisioned when we created NIRDT at WSU," said Pierre Harter, the associate vice president of research operations for WSU Industry and Defense Programs. "One where industry experts like Knowmadics can couple with multi-disciplinary experts from WSU faculty and research staff to provide innovative R&D solutions, while providing meaningful applied learning opportunities for students.

“Knowmadics is a critical partner for us as we continue our journey in digital transformation."

Cybersecurity is considered one of Wichita's fastest-growing industries.

The talent from the 184th Wing of the Kansas Air National Guard at McConnell Air Force Base, which performs intelligence and reconnaissance operations for the Air Force, has helped attract cyber companies like Knowmadics, Novacoast and Millennium Corp. That's led to new efforts to bolster education and training opportunities in cybersecurity and IT.
                  This is an industry with great potential in the area.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WSU - Wichita State partners with Rocket City to aid military readiness

Two Wichita State University organizations have established a solid presence in Alabama’s largest metropolitan area.

The National Institute for Aviation Research (NIAR) and FirePoint Innovations Center recently hosted a grand opening event at the Big Spring Summit in the heart of downtown Huntsville, Alabama, showcasing 6,000 square feet of newly renovated space in the building.

Strategically located near the Redstone Arsenal, a hotbed of Department of Defense (DoD) and NASA aviation development, the satellite location allows NIAR and FirePoint to accelerate collaboration with Huntsville-based military units and their collaborators and provides the ability to conveniently hold meetings and events in downtown Huntsville, rather than obtaining clearance for visitors on base.

The grand opening celebration drew a crowd of more than 50 military, industry and university constituents, and included remarks from U.S. Senator Jerry Moran; Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle; Major General Thomas W. O’Connor Jr., U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command; WSU President Rick Muma; FirePoint executive director Steve Cyrus; and John Tomblin, WSU senior vice president for Industry and Defense Programs and NIAR executive director.

“Wichita State’s presence in Huntsville paves the way for a new era of collaboration and innovation, forging strong connections with the defense industry and offering our students valuable experiences to shape the future of aerospace technology,” said Muma.

Those in attendance were in agreement that the relationship between Wichita State, Huntsville and the military is based on simultaneously strengthening the warfighter and the economy.

“This is about a better economy for our country through the acceleration of science, technology and research; but perhaps more importantly, it is about defending our country in a time in which our adversaries are real,” said Senator Moran. “It’s that much more rewarding to celebrate job creation and economic growth when it is built on efforts to strengthen our nation’s defense.”

“What we end up with is a product that is a center of excellence for aerospace whether its rockets, whether it’s airplanes, whether its flying machinery, whether it’s missiles,” said Battle. “We end up with a center of excellence that protects the warfighter and protects the country.”

Both NIAR and FirePoint conduct research with Redstone Arsenal units including the U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command Aviation & Missile Center; Aviation and Missile Command; Program Executive Office of Aviation; and Material Command.

MG O’Connor praised Wichita State’s relationship with and support for the military, citing creative methodologies have pushed people to achieve outstanding results.

“There’s a lot of work to do,” he said. “If you look across the geopolitical environment, there are a lot of challenges that face our nation and our way of life, and there’s no doubt it that it’s going to take a collective effort to figure out how to remain ahead and create a strong national defense.”

NIAR’s office suite includes workspaces for six employees and a 22-seat conference room with a city-view and adjoining hospitality and flexible lounge space. Huntsville-based staff are currently focused primarily on programs related to additive manufacturing and hypersonic material development.

“Linking these two cities together in the development and support of future air and space vehicles will allow us to propel the U.S. forward in world leadership in aerospace,” said Tomblin. “Looking at future needs of long-range precision fires, hypersonics and advanced materials, the world of space and aviation will continue to collide. This expansion into Huntsville will aid in that by combining the strengths of the Air Capital of the World and Rocket City.”

FirePoint’s new Applied Innovation Center (AIC) in Huntsville is a collaboration, prototyping and testbed facility aimed at accelerating technology discovery and adoption throughout Army Aviation. The new facility features two on-site prototyping and testing labs along with the resources to support partnership collaboration between private-sector emerging technology companies that might otherwise go undiscovered, to tailor commercial solutions for Army Aviation specific requirements.

It also provides an open avenue for small, cutting-edge companies to get introduced to the DoD and overcome some of the challenges non-traditional businesses face in the defense market.

This early-stage collaboration lowers risk for both the Army and non-traditional tech firms. For Army Aviation, it provides an opportunity to integrate and test private-sector technologies to ensure compatibility prior to acquisition. For small businesses, it shrinks the yearslong process and steep financial investment required to sell technologies into DoD and allows them to engineer specific solutions based on clear need, direction and collaboration.

Ultimately, that means getting cutting-edge technologies into the Army Aviation pipeline faster and more economically for both sides.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• The first rendering is up for a biomed building. Here: https://www.wichita.edu/academics/wi...edical_campus/

Not a lot of details, but I can estimate the following:

I presume this would be the building located in the current parking lot bordered by Broadway, Topeka, and William. A second building (or buildings) will come in a second phase once the Wichita transit center is torn down. This rendering is likely looking Southwest from Topeka and William.

The building appears to be 8 stories of usable indoor space with a 9th story deck. Lots of glass. If built anywhere near what this looks like, this would be a significant and spectacular building in downtown Wichita that changes the game on office architecture in Wichita. The leaders have stated they wanted to make a statement with these buildings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker_torero View Post
                        The first rendering is up for a biomed building. Here: https://www.wichita.edu/academics/wi...edical_campus/

Not a lot of details, but I can estimate the following:

I presume this would be the building located in the current parking lot bordered by Broadway, Topeka, and William. A second building (or buildings) will come in a second phase once the Wichita transit center is torn down. This rendering is likely looking Southwest from Topeka and William.

The building appears to be 8 stories of usable indoor space with a 9th story deck. Lots of glass. If built anywhere near what this looks like, this would be a significant and spectacular building in downtown Wichita that changes the game on office architecture in Wichita. The leaders have stated they wanted to make a statement with these buildings.
                        Are you sure? It doesn’t seem to match any of the proposed floor plans as outlined on pages 31-40

I think you’re correct though with the belief that it will stand out as a very Positive design. Whatever the final design looks like

Comment

• I don’t think the floor plans in the architectural download are to be taken as gospel. I think those were likely used to help gauge space needs. But I could be wrong. It would align with the stack design that’s outlined as an option in that release. I’m basing my current assumptions on the following.

1) it’s an image released on the public website for the project, replacing a clearly photoshopped photo with a professional rendering
                          2) the KBOR minutes referenced official architectural renderings being submitted to them for review. Those have not been all publicly released. And if this is one of them, this would be the first released of what I assume are many
                          3) WSU pres was quoted as saying he wanted something architecturally forward thinking for Wichita (it was in the biz talk audio on here a while back. Unsure of exact quote)

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Are you sure? It doesn’t seem to match any of the proposed floor plans as outlined on pages 31-40

I think you’re correct though with the belief that it will stand out as a very Positive design. Whatever the final design looks like

Comment

• You're not wrong. I do remember him saying the same and was hoping I read it in one of the WBJ articles, but I've skimmed some of them talking about this with no luck, and I don't want to go listen to the podcast again just to find the exact words. But he definitely said that they wanted the building to stand out and make a statement. It wasn't going to be just some normal structure that would blend in with everything else.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              You're not wrong. I do remember him saying the same and was hoping I read it in one of the WBJ articles, but I've skimmed some of them talking about this with no luck, and I don't want to go listen to the podcast again just to find the exact words. But he definitely said that they wanted the building to stand out and make a statement. It wasn't going to be just some normal structure that would blend in with everything else.
                              WBJ BizTalk #329 at about the 30:00 mark until about 50:00 mark

The entire podcast is worth a listen as they discuss the downtown development (including Performing Arts Center) and the bio medical campus described as aspirational, bold, etc.

https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/...ct-summit.html

another option if you don’t have a Wichita Business Journal subscription: https://player.fm/series/biztalk-wit...329-ict-summit

Last edited by Veritas; November 15, 2023, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• This can't hurt future enrollment in the field.

Express Healthcare Management - FutureReady Health Care Center at WSU Tech South Accelerates Hands-On Learning for Students

The FutureReady Health Care Center at WSU Tech South, which opened its doors in August, is providing Wichita Public Schools students with invaluable hands-on learning experiences. This state-of-the-art facility offers three pathways for students to choose from: EMT, Pre-nursing, and Patient Care Tech.

Unlike traditional classroom settings, the FutureReady Center aims to enhance students’ educational journey by exposing them to a collegiate-level environment. Jena Roth, the WSU Tech dean of high school partnerships and community outreach, explains that this new facility allows students to step outside their comfort zones and explore new opportunities beyond their familiar K-12 environments.

The program not only prepares students for their future careers but also offers scholarship opportunities and partnerships with industry leaders, enabling them to pursue higher education if desired. The FutureReady Center plays a crucial role in increasing the accessibility of healthcare programs to students throughout the Wichita Public Schools system. By providing training that meets industry demands, the center ensures that students are well-prepared to enter the workforce as highly skilled and trained professionals.

Partnering with local hospitals, clinics, and long-term care facilities, the FutureReady Center allows students to engage with employers and gain practical experience working with actual patients. This applied learning approach bridges the gap between classroom knowledge and real-world practice, enabling students to develop crucial skills early on in their careers.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X