New Chiefs QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BenWSU View Post
    Chiefs get Alex Smith for 2nd round pick this year and conditional pick in 2014
    Damn that's too much

Comment

Conditional 2014 could be as high as a #2

Comment

Why must every Kansas City sports trade suck?

Comment

Meh. This trade is unremarkable in my opinion. Don't let his numbers fool you. Yeah, he completed 70 percent of his passes last year, but prior to the 49ers changing QBs, their offense was a west coast dink and dunk style. When you're only throwing 5 to 15 yard routes, you're going to complete a high percentage of your passes.

Who's he going to throw to? Is Bowe coming back? Jonathan Baldwin? Aaron Rodgers would look like crap throwing to the receivers we have on our team. If Bowe comes back, he's going to need another solid WR on the other side to remove the double teams he constantly sees.

I don't think it's a bad trade. If the Chiefs give Smith the players he needs to be effective then the trade will work out. We still need a compliment WR for Bowe (assuming he comes back), two offensive lineman to shore up that group, and a healthy tight end who can be relied upon to play a full season.

Still lots of pieces that are needed, this addition is okay, could be good, depends on what else the Chief get and do.

Comment

Woo hoo this has been soooooooooooooo excited for Matt Cassel part 2. We are going to the super bowl guys
            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Alex Smith highlight reel

Comment

When trying to find a comparison for Alex Smith, the name that came up for me is Rich Gannon. Both are guys who hailed from non-BCS schools who ran offenses for running quarterbacks in college (Gannon with Tubby Raymond's Wing-T at Delaware and Smith with Urban Meyer's Spread Offense), both were considered to have sub-par arm strength and were criticized for throwing mostly "dink and dunk" passes, both held starting positions but had people regularly consider them a serviceable but not a "franchise" quarterback. Obviously we know that eventually, when given a shot, Gannon ended up becoming an NFL MVP and leading his team to the Super Bowl (in his 14th season in the league). Alex Smith is entering his 8th season, so we can't compare their later careers, but we can compare their first 7 seasons:

Completion % Yardage (Best Season) TDs INTs QB Rating (Average) QB Rating (Best Season)
                Rich Gannon 56.4% 2,278 (14 games) 43 43 67.3 81.5 (15 games)
                Alex Smith 59.3% 3,144 (16 games) 81 63 79.1 104.1 (10 games)

In fact, each of the last 4 seasons, Alex Smith has had a QB rating as good or better than Rich Gannon's best QB rating in his first 7 seasons.

Gannon has an advantage in the rushing department, averaging 14.4 ypg and 4.8 ypc in his first 7 seasons to Smith's 9.5 ypg and 3.6 ypc.

Let's go a step further and compare Alex Smith last season before going down to injury and Rich Gannon's MVP season:

Yardage per Game Completion % Average Yards per Completion TDs INTs TD:INT QB Rating
                Rich Gannon 293.1 67.6 7.59 26 10 2.6 97.3
                Alex Smith 173.7 70.2 7.97 13 5 2.6 104.1

Am I saying that Alex Smith is as good as Rich Gannon eventually was or that last year compares to Gannon's MVP season? No, Gannon was the center of that offense and put up those numbers with a lot more yardage and pass attempts than Smith last year. What I am saying is that Smith compares very favorably over his first 7 season to Gannon, while be very comparable in how each QB was viewed in terms of potential. Those that claim that Smith can't be a franchise QB should remember Gannon before making definite claims.

I understand the comparisons to Cassell, and maybe Smith career as a Chief will head in that direction, but there is just as much reason to compare him to Gannon. Obviously, which direction he goes will determine whether what the Chiefs gave up is worth it, but after being the team to underestimate Gannon and ship him off to Oakland in favor of the stronger armed Elvis Grbac, it would be nice if we ended up on the receiving end of a quality QB who was replaced (in spite of success) by a stronger armed QB (not that I am saying Kapernick is another Grbac by any stretch).
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

chiefs resign bowe and colquitt to 5 year deals and tag Albert
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

It would appear that they are planning to put Albert out there in a possible trade because he wants more money than they think that he is worth. I've heard that he wants Top 5 money and he's not a Top 5 Left Tackle. Perhaps get their 2nd round choice back?

Comment

I'll go out on a limb here and say that Alex Smith will make the Chiefs fans proud to be fans again. Give me two years before you smack me around though.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        It would appear that they are planning to put Albert out there in a possible trade because he wants more money than they think that he is worth. I've heard that he wants Top 5 money and he's not a Top 5 Left Tackle. Perhaps get their 2nd round choice back?
                        especially with all the games he missed last year. Once your back starts giving you problems, it hard to shake.

Comment

Working...
                        X