• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Moriarty, would you stop with the negative waves!'

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/mlb...g-days/570553/

scroll till you find the video of the Mays-Bonds catch
      I haven't looked yet but I think I know what you reference. Deep right center field blast and Mays takes it away from Bonds crashing into the top of the 8' chain link fence at a post. Willie crumples to the ground and hangs on while Bonds takes the ball out of his glove to show the umps. Incredible catch!! Saturday game of the week.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktown View Post
        'Moriarty, would you stop with the negative waves!'
        7595b9.jpg

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
            That many all-star games by Mays, Musial and Aaron is mind-boggling.
            Some of that is due to the fact that there was a stretch of seasons where there were multiple ASGs played.

Still though, those three were obviously quite legendary.
            78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Some of that is due to the fact that there was a stretch of seasons where there were multiple ASGs played.

Still though, those three were obviously quite legendary.
              I believe there were four seasons that featured two All-Star games.
              Last edited by pinstripers; June 22, 2024, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• Rest in Peace MLB Hall of Famer, Orlando Cepeda. In 1961, Orlando Cepeda hit 46 longballs to top the National League. He drove in a staggering 142 runs while hitting .311. Cepeda finished second in MVP balloting that year.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  Rest in Peace MLB Hall of Famer, Orlando Cepeda. In 1961, Orlando Cepeda hit 46 longballs to top the National League. He drove in a staggering 142 runs while hitting .311. Cepeda finished second in MVP balloting that year.
                  May the "Baby Bull" rest in peace.

Comment

• Finally some great news for the Bites The Dust thread…..https://www.kwch.com/2024/06/26/man-...-say/?tbref=hp
                    An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                      Finally some great news for the Bites The Dust thread…..https://www.kwch.com/2024/06/26/man-...-say/?tbref=hp
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                        Finally some great news for the Bites The Dust thread…..https://www.kwch.com/2024/06/26/man-...-say/?tbref=hp
                        Probably related to this guy...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Maybe lesser known to many on here, but an impactful loss to the local softball community. I just found out about this today when I saw an article by Taylor on FB from yesterday.

KAKE - Remembering Rita Frakes and her legacy as a local teacher and coach

The Andover school district announced yesterday that beloved art teacher and coach Rita Frakes died after a many-year battle with cancer.

Rita Frakes was not just an award-winning art teacher.

“At one time we read that there were 300 students that could have taken her art class and 290 of them did,” said Diane Smith, best friend of Rita.

She was not just a softball coach with multiple state titles.

“She celebrated her girls like no other- I’ve never seen another coach do,” said Smith.

She was the loving wife to Susan Jae Eckel for 19 years.

Her best friends say she was a genuinely good person.

“She’s very passionate about anything she does- whether it's fishing or coaching or teaching or being with her friends- Rita is passionate,” said Smith.

Rita was diagnosed with breast cancer back in 2017- KAKE covered her resilience back then.

“She took it head on and she chopped the head off that snake many times,” explained Smith.

On July 5, 2024, she died after her final battle with cancer. Her friends say she died a fighter.
                          My niece played against her when she went to Andover, but a number of her club teammates played for her. I'm not sure if there's a more respected softball coach in the metro area than Rita was. The only comparison I can come up with is the volleyball coach that's been at Circle forever, Coach Nibarger. The ability to consistently get the best out of your talent and doing in a way that they actually like and respect you and find success on and off the playing field is a special gift that not everyone can fully embrace. She may have coached the rival school, but she was greatly respected by pretty much everyone.

Eagle - 'She brought the light': Andover Central mourns death of beloved coach Rita Frakes

The Clearwater and Andover Central communities are in mourning following the death of beloved coach and teacher Rita Frakes on July 5 following a seven-year battle with breast cancer. Frakes was 63.

A memorial service has been scheduled at 10 a.m. on Monday, July 15, inside the Northwest High gymnasium.

In the Kansas high school sports world, Frakes was considered one of the state’s best softball coaches. She led Andover Central to two state championships and earned state and national coaching awards following her 2018 title, which came a year after her initial diagnosis.

Even though her win-loss record was outstanding, it was her relentless enthusiasm in life that made a far greater impact on those who knew her.

“It didn’t matter who she was working with, she was going to make them feel their best,” said Andover Central girls basketball coach Stana Jefferson, who worked with Frakes for the past 19 years. “Every time you walked away from a conversation with Rita Frakes, you felt better. About your day, about your life, about what you could accomplish. She was that kind of person who brought the light to you.”
                          If you were familiar with her or not, I recommend reading through these articles and watching the video tributes. She's had a huge impact on a number of girls in the area for decades. Helped start volleyball and softball programs at Clearwater and brought life to the softball program at Andover Central.

KWCH - Former students, athletes remember impact from beloved teacher, coach, Rita Frakes

Thoughts and prayers are pouring in for the family of a beloved teacher and coach who died Friday following multiple battles with cancer. Rita Frakes impacted numerous former students and athletes over her more-than-40-year teaching career that included service in the Clearwater and Andover school districts.

Among those remembering Rita Frakes is flower shop owner Risse Zimmerman, organizing an arrangement for the funeral of her former art teacher, coach and longtime friend.

‘”This one will be a hard one,” Zimmerman said.

In 41 years of teaching, Frakes was a mentor for generations of students at Clearwater Middle School and Andover Central High School.

“She taught me the basics of primary and secondary colors and how they all go together,” Zimmerman remembered.

Beyond her lessons and workouts, Frakes left a mark on many for how she treated them.

“She just has that personality that you want to be around her,” Zimmerman said. “She is always encouraging. She made you want to do your best. She just loved all of her students.”

Now, Zimmerman is saying goodbye by doing what she does best.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Texoma - 'ALF' actor Benji Gregory found dead at 44, sister reveals

Benji Gregory, the former child actor who played Brian Tanner on all four seasons of “ALF,” was found dead in his car last month, his sister revealed on Facebook.

“It is with a heavy heart my family has suffered a loss way too early,” Rebecca Hertzberg-Pfaffinger wrote in a post shared Wednesday. “Ben was a great Son, Brother and Uncle. He was fun to be around and made us laugh quite often. Still, going through his things, I find myself laughing at little videos or notes of his, in between crying.”

Hertzberg-Pfaffinger told The New York Times that Gregory died in a parking lot on June 13 in Peoria, Arizona. In her Facebook post, she said her brother died of “vehicular heatstroke” alongside his service dog, though a representative for the Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office told TMZ that Gregory’s cause of death was still pending.
                            I always have loved me some ALF.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• RIP Shelley Duvall, 1949-2024

Shelley Duvall has passed, at age 75, from complications of diabetes.​

Known for her thin physique, large expressive eyes and powerful performances, Duvall was a standout playing opposite in Jack Nicholson in the horror film “The Shining” and Robin Williams in the comedy “Popeye.”

But hardcore fans of cinema also recognized her for her professional partnership with acclaimed filmmaker Altman, who first cast her as the love interest in the 1970 film, “Brewster McCloud.”

Miss Duvall wasn't a classic Hollywood beauty. She was adorable rather than stunning, but she was always worth watching, and in a time when Hollywood celebrities seem to feel the need to interject politics into everything, Shelley kept her views mostly to herself.

But Shelley Duvall was one of the people who just made movies, and she was always worth watching. From the waiflike Suzanne in "Brewster McCloud" to the neck-craning Olive Oyl in "Popeye" to Dixie in 1987's "Roxanne," that wonderful modern-day retelling of "Cyrano de Bergerac," Shelley Duvall always brought a spark of life to anything she appeared in.

Comment

• Eccentric fitness guru Richard Simmons, known for his unrelenting positivity, has died, according to his representative.

He celebrated his 76th birthday yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X