Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Scientifically speaking, Vincent Van Gogh was a freaking genius!

Van Gogh's Painting Starry Night Is Scientifically Accurate, Says New Study

It’s probably fair to say that Starry Night is the second most famous painting ever made behind the Mona Lisa, but what its many admirers likely do not know is that its famous swelling skies are “alive with real-world physics.”

Van Gogh’s brush strokes create an illusion of sky movement so convincing it led atmospheric scientists specializing in marine and fluid dynamics in China and France to wonder how closely it aligns with the physics of real skies.

They explained that while the atmospheric motion in the painting cannot be measured, the brushstrokes can act as a stand-in.

And, after measuring the relative scale and spacing of the whirling strokes, the researchers say van Gogh “accurately captures” cascading energy.

They discovered what they described as “hidden turbulence” in the painter’s depiction of the sky.

“The scale of the paint strokes played a crucial role,” in this discovery, said study author Dr. Huang Yongxiang. “With a high-resolution digital picture, we were able to measure precisely the typical size of the brushstrokes and compare these to the scales expected from turbulence theories.”

To reveal hidden turbulence, the research team used brush strokes in the painting like leaves swirling in a funnel of wind to examine the shape, energy, and scaling of atmospheric characteristics of the otherwise invisible atmosphere.

They then used the relative brightness, or luminance of the varying paint colors as a stand-in for the kinetic energy of physical movement.

“It reveals a deep and intuitive understanding of natural phenomena,” said Dr. Huang. “Van Gogh’s precise representation of turbulence might be from studying the movement of clouds and the atmosphere or an innate sense of how to capture the dynamism of the sky.”

I'm not going to pretend to fully understand any of this, but it's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Van Gogh and have been since I was a kid. Learning his backstory and what he was challenged with just made me respect his art even more. A tormented mind that saw such beauty in the world and regardless of this study, I do believe that he was more aware of a number of things than a lot of people at the time.

But I just found this kind of cool that my favorite painter apparently captured something so remarkable in his greatest creation.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
      X