X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-...190839696.html

Why can't some women orgasm?

Comment

• 'Secret Room' Where Michelangelo Hid Beneath Trap Door is Covered With His Drawings - And Now Opens to Public

The walls of a “secret” underground room discovered in 1975, covered in sketches by the persecuted Michelangelo, are now being unveiled to the public for the first time.

The Italian Renaissance master sculpture who carved David and decorated the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel hid in the tiny chamber for about two months in 1530 while evading a death sentence ordered by Pope Clement VII.

The pope, who was a member of the powerful Medici family, was enraged at the artist for aiding a rebellion against their reign, the same family whose magnificent tombs Michelangelo carved in the chapel just above his hiding place.

50 years ago, museum officials were searching for a suitable space to create a new exit for tourists visiting the Medici chapel, where the artist had adorned the family tombs with sculptures depicting the passing of time.

They discovered a trapdoor beneath a wardrobe that led to a 10-foot wide room. Stripping two layers of plaster from the walls revealed the existence of the drawings sketched by the maestro using charcoal and sanguine wooden sticks.

“He drew things from the past as if he was taking a trip down memory lane … it was like having an album of his works,” said Paola D’Agostino, the director of the Bargello Museums, which includes four other state museums besides the Medici Chapels.

“(It’s) a place of extraordinary charm,” said Massimo Osanna, Italy’s Director General of Museums.
      Interesting story about my favorite Ninja Turtles namesake that I didn't know about, and a cool little room where he hid for months.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I'm a little in awe of this one. The speed in which this massive building was constructed and the spectacular design as well as the green efficiencies is insanely impressive.

Epic 'Floating' Science Fiction Museum is Erected in One Year to Wow Fans at 81st World Sci-Fi Convention - LOOK

A spectacular seven-pointed spaceship seems to be touching down on a lake in Chengdu for the 81st World Sci-Fi Convention, but in reality, it’s a new museum designed especially for the event that will go on to host future tech and pop culture events for years.

It’s a far cry from a flat, rectangular convention center, and being that Chengdu is home to one of the most published science-fiction magazines history, it’s in the right place.

At just under 60,000 square meters (three times the size of the Sydney Opera House,) the building is the latest masterstroke from Zaha Hadid Architects of London, and will feature an integrated exterior envelope that weaves together interior galleries and outdoor paths just as the building integrates land with the water of Jingrong Lake.

“From every angle, it will always look different; it will always look unusual or unexpected,” said Paulo Flores, one of the project directors at Zaha Hadid Architects, which designed the museum.

Incredibly, this structure went from brainstorming to ribbon cutting in just 12 months in order to host Worldcon, also known as the World Sci-Fi Convention. Chengdu, the capital of China’s Sichuan Province, has been gradually climbing the ladder of Chinese cities for livability and prosperity.
        Zaha Hadid Architects used a lot of digital rendering and computing power to virtually sculpt the incredible curves, waves, and points of the building, which meets the highest criteria of China’s Green Building Program, and it has been designed to maximize efficiencies of shading, heat dispersion, and solar power.
        There are a handful of pictures in the link and they're all impressive.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Here's one way to help your indoor environment down the road.

Small Business to Sell "Superplants" to Remove 30x More Indoor Pollutants Than Normal Houseplants

A company in France has developed genetically-enhanced houseplants that remove 30 times more indoor air pollutants than your normal ficus.

Paint, treated wood, household cleaners, insulation, unseen mold—there is a shopping list of things that can fill the air you breathe in your home with VOCs or volatile organic compounds. These include formaldehyde and other airborne substances that can cause inflammation and irritation in the body.

The best way to tackle this little-discussed private health problem is by keeping good outdoor airflow into your living spaces, but in the dog days of summer or the depths of a Maine winter, that might not be possible.

Houseplants can remove these pollutants from the air, and so the company Neoplants decided to make simple alterations to these species’ genetic makeup to supercharge this cleaning ability.

In particular, houseplants’ natural ability to absorb pollutants like formaldehyde relies on them storing them as toxins to be excreted later.

French scientists and Neoplants’ co-founders Lionel Mora and Patrick Torbey engineered a houseplant to convert them instead to plant matter. They also took aim at the natural microbiome of houseplants to enhance their ability to absorb and process VOCs as well.
          I don't know what a typical houseplant goes for, but I'd guess it's probably more than $6. These specially modified plants will run about $180, but do the work of 30. They're also designed to require less water which would be significantly less than 30 plants.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Barcelona Church Under Construction for 141 Years Finally Gets its 4 Towers - Named Matthew, Mark, Luke, John

It’s one of the most famous buildings in Europe: partly because it isn’t finished yet more than 100 years since it was started.

Sagrada Familia Cathedral in Barcelona is just a few years away from completion, however, as the towers of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John have been fully erected. When the ultimate tower is finished—slated for 2026—the building will be finished, 144 years after it was started.

The original designer, Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi, wanted the facade to contain 16 spindly towers which would each be dedicated to a biblical figure: 12 for the apostles, 4 for the evangelists, one for Mary, and one for Jesus.

It was last Wednesday that the final sculptural element was placed on the tower of Matthew, and the day after that, John’s tower was crowned with an eagle.

The basilica celebrated the triumph on Facebook.

For local Christians, they will get to enjoy this building on November 12th for the basilica’s inaugural mass, when the four towers of the evangelists will be illuminated. They will remain so until after Christmas.

On Sunday, the Barcelona Symphony Orchestra gave the debut musical performance at the Sagrada Família. Led by head conductor José Rafael Pascual-Vilaplana, the concerto featured a repertoire chosen for the occasion that paid tribute to the symbiosis of nature, faith, and art represented in the Sagrada Família’s art and sculpture.

The towers have been the final pieces of this massive, complicated, and oft-interrupted puzzle which first hit snags upon Gaudi’s death in 1926 when only 10% of the building had been finished.
            It's an impressive structure. I'd like to know more about its development and the time frame for it, but it's interesting nonetheless.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I hope that Lily Wu can initiate some follow through on things here in Doo Dah. Like the follow through on the great goat experiment in Riverside where the goats did their part and the city didn't follow up on clearing out what they needed to. And how about the group that flew to San Antonio to seehow they approached their "unhoused" population? Anything ever come to fruition on that. Just seems things seem to languish after the initial flurry of activity.

Comment

• https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-m...224610570.html

Florida man throws package of Oreos at wife while arguing over empty coffee maker

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-m...224610570.html

Florida man throws package of Oreos at wife while arguing over empty coffee maker

Must have been a package of ‘Double Stuffed Oreos’… that can be dangerous.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Deflategate Talk about a problem of cosmic, uh, proportions. A recent rat study conducted by NASA-funded researchers found that deep space travel might inflict long-lasting erectile dysfunction symptoms on male astronauts— a problem that may persist long after astronauts return to Earth. According to the research, which was published in the journal Faseb, the galactic […]

funny, I don't remember going to the moon

Comment

• This is fascinating

Thousands of Years Ago, a Woman Underwent Two Surgeries to Her Head - and Survived Both Procedures

Researchers don’t know why, but a late-Neolithic, early-Copper Age woman underwent two cranial surgeries throughout her adult life—newly found archaeological remains from Spain have revealed.

Imagine for a moment everything that a successful surgery requires: orderlies, razor-sharp implements, anesthetic, disinfectant, and anatomical knowledge of the affected are the bare necessities for a procedure, none of which are common finds among Stone Age habitations

Yet in a burial site at Camino del Molino, located in Caravaca de la Cruz in Southeastern Spain, the skull of a 35 to 40-year-old woman was found with expertly made trepanations, or surgical entries into the cranium.

Trepanations mean the surgeon was trying to access the dura mater, the outermost layer of tissue surrounding the brain and spinal cord, and forensic analysis showed it was neither a wound of violence, nor some form of ritual cannibalism, because the areas around the trepanations were clean; without fractures, and the woman lived months after the second of the two procedures was finished.

It’s a stunning demonstration of medical knowledge and acumen for a people who had only just barely worked out the smithing of copper tools.

It also demonstrates the value that these primitive societies placed on the lives of loved ones, as this woman might already have been a grandmother and near the end of her life, yet was operated on twice in her twilight years, which would have included a substantial period of recovery during which she contributed no food or labor to the community while still consuming food collected by others.

The funerary site of Camino del Molino contains 1,348 individuals, and this woman who had lived a full life for a Neolithic/Copper Age human, lived months after the second of two surgeries in the same part of the brain was concluded. She eventually died during the period of the funerary pit’s second use phase which stretched from 2566 to 2239 BCE.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This one is just fun

The Comedy Wildlife Photo Winners Are Here - And They're Absolutely Adorable

The funniest photography competition in the world announced their winners and the grand prize winner was a kangaroo playing air guitar.

Up against 5,300 entries from 85 countries, Jason Moore from Australia with his ‘Air Guitar Roo’ prevailed in the closest voting ever.

Taken in the outer suburbs of Perth, Jason visited a yellow field of wildflowers where a “mob” of adult kangaroos and joeys were playing and feeding—and apparently listening to music.

“When I saw this Roo striking the air guitar pose, it immediately brought a smile to my face, and I knew that I had captured something really special. “

As the Comedy Wildlife Photographer of the Year champion, Jason won a safari in the Masai Mara, Kenya, and other prizes.

The competition was founded in 2015 by Paul Joynson-Hicks and Tom Sullam, both professional photographers and conservationists to create a fun and free-to-enter photography competition unlike any other.

Air Guitar Roo

Dispute

The Happy Turtle Dragonfly
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Apparently Stanley Thermos are the best on the planet?

A Stanley Thermos Survives a Car Fire, so Stanley Replaces Both the Mug and the Car

Kia Sorento owner Danielle lit up TikTok with a viral video of her approaching her car which had recently caught fire. Within the torched interior, stood a solitary undamaged item.

It was a Stanley thermos, and it was the reason for the 84 million shares and 60k comments that festooned the post.

“Everybody’s so concerned about if the Stanley spills, but what about if it melts?” she asks in the video, then she grabs the Stanley thermos in the cupholder and shakes it. “Fire yesterday,” she says. “Still has ice in it.”

@danimarielettering Thirsty after you catch on fire? @Stanley 1913 is like no problem i gotchu #fyp #carfire #accident #stanleycup ♬ original sound - Danielle

The firestorm of comments was filled with people egging Stanley on to reward Danielle for this incomparable advertisement, and it didn’t take long for Stanley to reply.

“We’ve all seen your video. Wow, what an ordeal and we’re all really glad you’re safe,” said Stanley Company President Terence Reilly, in a video response.

“I’ve seen a lot of comments that we should send you some Stanleys. Well, we are gonna send you some Stanleys. But there’s one more thing. We’ve never done this before and we’ll probably never do it again, but we’d love to replace your vehicle.”
                          Almost put this in the Sliver of Hope thread due to Stanley offering to replace her vehicle, but I'm simply more impressed by the fact that the car was on fire, the thermos looks pretty much fine and she claimed there was still ice in it. Maybe I should go buy one of these...
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• So what is the real purpose of those large signs in the median on Kellogg and 96? Obviously they aren't there to warn drivers of an impending slow down and which lanes are affected in traffic accidents. Two times today one east bound and one west bound I had to maneuver around accidents with the only warning on the signs Don't drive Drunk and Speed causes accidents. Who monitors accidents and who doesn't put that information out in a TIMELY manner. Thank you very much

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              So what is the real purpose of those large signs in the median on Kellogg and 96? Obviously they aren't there to warn drivers of an impending slow down and which lanes are affected in traffic accidents. Two times today one east bound and one west bound I had to maneuver around accidents with the only warning on the signs Don't drive Drunk and Speed causes accidents. Who monitors accidents and who doesn't put that information out in a TIMELY manner. Thank you very much
                              I have seen them with "Accident Ahead" and "Slow Traffic Ahead" notices. My guess it is law enforcement that reports things to be posted, so it isn't as fast as if there were dedicated personnel putting eyes on the cameras at all times and posting alerts.
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• named the pin-fly

Comment

Working...
                                X