Another School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockerfan34 View Post

I think there's a reasonable argument that Uvalde could have been prevented if so. He didn't purchase the gun until he was legally able to do so. Even if the legal age was 21, that could have prevented this. These lone wolf school shooter types don't have connections to the street market that gang members have.
    Also a reasonable argument that Uvalde could have been prevented by hardening the school, but it probably wouldn’t pass, and most Democrats including Bid3n are against it. How about other mass shootings? Would they have been prevented by using one of these methods ? It’s a “Hit and Miss” proposition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Also a reasonable argument that Uvalde could have been prevented by hardening the school, but it probably wouldn’t pass, and most Democrats including Bid3n are against it. How about other mass shootings? Would they have been prevented by using one of these methods ? It’s a “Hit and Miss” proposition.
      I think making sure schools are secure is also a good idea. I'm a little hesitant to agree that having 2 military guards at every school is a reasonable idea. My suggestion would have done nothing to prevent the Tulsa shooter who purchased his rifle and within hours was attacking his doctor. I don't think anybody is suggesting their proposal will eliminate mass shootings but after a couple decades without any progress it seems like a good time to try something different.

Comment

I think there's a reasonable argument that Uvalde could have been prevented if so. He didn't purchase the gun until he was legally able to do so. Even if the legal age was 21, that could have prevented this. These lone wolf school shooter types don't have connections to the street market that gang members have.
        Would it had been prevented if Daniel Defense didn’t make AR-15s?
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
          Would it had been prevented if Daniel Defense didn’t make AR-15s?
          It looks like quite a few companies manufacture AR-15s, so I assume nothing would be different in this hypothetical situation.

Comment

It looks like quite a few companies manufacture AR-15s, so I assume nothing would be different in this hypothetical situation.
            There are also many different types of guns, even semi autos. Making one type unavailable to him doesn’t guarantee that he doesn’t choose something else. A few years ago there was a rash of incidents in china. There was a mass stabbing in one incident, and a kid that went in with a bow in another.
            I would also have you consider Switzerland. All men fit for service, and women by volunteer, between the ages of 18-34 are issued a Sig Sauer SG 550, chambered in 5.56, 7.62, or 300 blk. Until 2010 they were required to keep their weapon in their home. The Swiss have shooting competitions for all kids aged 13-17. The last mass casualty from guns was 2001.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• That's fair, and Im not really set on banning one particular weapon as a solution for that reason. I would prefer to increase the requirements to have these weapons.

Looking into Switzerland to answer the question of why they have less gun violence, which seems like a logical comparison.

It looks like they have what I would consider "common sense" gun laws that I would like to see here. Getting a permit-to-purchase approved by local police. Compulsory military service/training is one aspect that probably helps keep them safer although that isn't something as easy to translate to the United States. I think there would be value in having military quality training to possess military grade weapons.

I'm all for having a discussion on solutions. You seem to be in strong support of gun rights. Do you have any support for gun focuses laws or is that entirely a nonstarter?

Comment

I think there's a reasonable argument that Uvalde could have been prevented if so.
                unless he thought of maybe buying a different gun? Some of these guys are that clever
                Last edited by pinstripers; June 5, 2022, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• People who know guns, know that there are lots of other options out there that would be just as bad. The media and left has demonized one caliber of gun. .22 caliber still has the most deaths per year. But the dumbass in Washington thinks that you can save someone who is shot in the lung by one but not someone shot by a 9mm.

Bad people will do bad things. Plain and simple. Mentally ill people are capable of lots of things. These people will use whatever they can find to create chaos and mass harm. Banning certain guns will never stop this.

We need to solve the mental illness problem before anything will change. And I would also be for getting rid of all the violent video games kids have access to. That never comes up any more, and it really should.

Comment

That's fair, and Im not really set on banning one particular weapon as a solution for that reason. I would prefer to increase the requirements to have these weapons.

Looking into Switzerland to answer the question of why they have less gun violence, which seems like a logical comparison.

It looks like they have what I would consider "common sense" gun laws that I would like to see here. Getting a permit-to-purchase approved by local police. Compulsory military service/training is one aspect that probably helps keep them safer although that isn't something as easy to translate to the United States. I think there would be value in having military quality training to possess military grade weapons.

I'm all for having a discussion on solutions. You seem to be in strong support of gun rights. Do you have any support for gun focuses laws or is that entirely a nonstarter?
                    Yeah, repeal all federal gun laws. Return the power to the states 100%. States then regulate them just like cars and driving. If background checks can be done quickly with passports it can be done with weapon ownership. Some states will have more stringent laws, just like some states have vehicle inspections. Some, like Alaska, will have extremely loose weapons laws. No federal limits on what or how many you own. Make it quick turnaround on the different weapons classes just like M or A/B/C drivers license. Buy what ever you want in your license class, no background checks. Keep black powder completely unregulated, just like it is. You could even put .22 S/LR/WMR manual feed weapons in the “unregulated” category.

I think the answer to school shootings is to move the police precincts onto school property. I think teachers with the appropriate training and field tests can and should carry. I think Firearms 101 should be a required class to graduate HS. I think schools should allow video games during free time to monitor psychological tendencies, a la the computer game in Ender’s Game. I think FPS games available to kids contributes to pathological tendencies in kids with mental health problems. I think the lack of institutional care in mental health is a crying shame. I think psychotropic drugs contribute to nearly every mass shooting event that is not orchestrated by the alphabet LEOs.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        They sure do miss quite a bit don't they. Alright change of plans...instead of two armed guards at every school in America...how 'bout the FBI physically trail 24/7 any known psychopath. Detain or shoot said psychopath if and when they step close to a school. Circumvent the threat. Save lives.
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• “Hell, My grandma has an FBI file.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                            “Hell, My grandma has an FBI file.”
                            Lol - I hear ya...but hopefully she didn't ever go online and pronounce the evil deeds she intended. And if she did...just like you and me and most people shouldn't be appalled that some sort of agency came to talk to us for a minute.

Just checking grandma. You do realize we're "trying" to protect everyones children right.
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                              “Hell, My grandma has an FBI file.”
                              What for?
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

What for?
                                She lives in the US and owned and used many guns.

Comment

Working...
                                X