No announcement yet.

Sliver of Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The gift that keeps on giving. MacKenzie Scott is at it again.

Girl Scouts Receive $84 Million Donation From MacKenzie Scott to Aid Recovery From Lack of Income During Pandemic

Girl Scouts of the USA will need to give MacKenzie Scott a badge for philanthropy after her donation last month of $84.5 million—their largest gift ever from one person.

The generous grant will help make up for the absence of funds raised from cookie sales and membership during the pandemic.

The former wife of Amazon Founder Jeff Bezos awarded the donation to the national group and 29 local councils selected by Scott—including $4.2 million to the Girl Scouts of Minnesota and Wisconsin River Valleys and $4.9 million to Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles.

“This is a great accelerator for our ongoing efforts to give girls the tools to become the next generation of powerful women leaders,” said the group’s CEO Sofia Chang. “We’re excited to prove how Ms. Scott’s investment in girls will change the world—because when one girl succeeds, we all succeed.”

The group says the grant will also foster an expanded focus on career readiness and mental wellness.
    I guess I don't need to buy cookies this year.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

7th Grader Buys New Shoes For Bullied Classmate

"I could tell it was upsetting him," Romello told WGRZ. "It just put a real bad ache in my stomach to see somebody have to go through that, and to be to be picked on just based off appearance."

"I had saved up my allowance, and so I asked my mom to take me to the shoe store to get Melvin some shoes, and the next day I came and gave them to him," he added.

"I'm really appreciative of what he did for me," Melvin told the local news outlet. "I'm doing chores at home so I can earn some money to try and pay him back for what...what he did for me."
      Another good story of a young person doing good.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Farmers helping farmers isn't new, but the actions taken to help someone in need should never go unrecognized. Plus a dog was saved which is always a good thing.

A Farmer Was Injured Saving A Puppy. His Town Rallied To Bring In His Harvest

A German shepherd puppy ran into the middle of the road causing Scott Legried, 50, to crash into a cornfield. He suffered multiple injuries including a broken shoulder blade, broken ribs, two cracked vertebrae, a collapsed lung and a concussion.

"I got knocked out and when I came to, I couldn't move," he told The Washington Post. "I couldn't even reach up to get my cellphone from the dash of my truck. I remember saying, 'Lord, I'm going to need some help here in the next five or 10 minutes'."

A motorist driving through the area found Legried and called 911. He was taken to the hospital.

Doctors told him he would need several months to recover before he could drive a tractor again. This meant he would not be able to bring in his October harvest of soybeans and corn.

When his community heard the news, they organized a plan to harvest Legried's crops. More than a dozen farmers from Frost and surrounding towns showed up at Legried's farm with their combines, trucks and grain wagons. Others organized lunches for the group. They also chipped in to mow Legried's lawn and feed his dogs while he was in the hospital.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Here's something a little different.

She Just Loves Cleaning and Now Helps Women in Need By Scrubbing Homes for Free While Traveling the World

A woman loves cleaning so much that she gave up her job and is now traveling the world scrubbing homes for free, helping women who need a huge hand.

Auri Katariina was a service manager at a cleaning company in Finland in the summer of 2021, when she decided to quit and follow her unique passion.

“My dream is to clean for free all over the world, and help people whilst doing something I absolutely love,” said the 29-year-old, who has become a bit of a social media sensation, by sharing her cleaning tips.

“I’ve always loved cleaning, and I began posting videos online of me just cleaning my family and friends home’s two years ago.

“Then one day, a woman asked me for help because she was struggling so much and her home was so messy. She had three kids and her husband had just taken his own life, so she was finding it really difficult.”

Auri, who says she’s “in heaven” whenever she cleans, was more than happy to help—in fact, she was “excited” to help.

“I went on a weekend and cleaned her home for two days. By the end she was crying and her kids were hugging me and thanking me. I could see the transformation in the house and how happy they were and it was the best feeling ever.”

The young woman from Tampere has gone as far as the USA and UK to help people who are in desperate need of decluttering and cleaning.

Now, thanks to her huge TikTok following of 7.8 million fans, and the 2.1Mil on Instagram who watch her viral videos that share cleaning tips—and, before-and-after photos—a corporate sponsor has reached out to cover her expenses.

She decides where to clean from reading requests she gets online, but chooses only the dirtiest, grimiest homes belonging to people most in need.
          This is one of the longer articles on this site I've come across. It's also a topic I never would have thought about, but it is amazing what kind of impact a clean home can have on people. I know for myself, I usually do pretty good for a while at keeping things pretty tidy, but at some point, be it anxiety or depression, something pops up and things start to be a little less tidy. And due to those mental issues, it can be tough to get back on it and it can spiral a bit. Now, my home never gets anywhere near as bad as the ones this lady seems to go to, but once I do get in a better mental state and can do what needs to be done, it's amazing how much different my mental state is. I'm happier. I'm more at peace. I'm a bit more optimistic about things in general. I sleep better. I eat better. It can go a long way. Sometimes I wish I had a bit of that cleanliness OCD in my life.

But props to this young lady for her passion to help others through cleaning. I have no doubt she's making a huge impact on the lives of those she helps.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Here's one that doesn't completely surprise me.

A Homeless Man in Chicago Changed My Flat Tire: "He Really Saved Me"

One of the most popular posts this week on the massive Reddit community website evoked all the feels that come with a simple act of kindness—especially when the compassion is shown by a homeless man.

The spontaneous helping hand was captured in a photo by a Reddit user who described the incident for folks on the MakeMeSmile sub-reddit, who gave her 86,000 thumbs up.

She was stranded in Chicago with a flat tire, wearing a skirt and heels, when a homeless man came to her rescue and changed her tire.

“I only had $60 on me, but I very gratefully gave it to him for saving me,” she said.

She was going to be late for an important dinner, and surely would have missed it if she had to wait for a service to arrive at the corner of Federal St & Ida B. Wells Dr.

“He really saved me,”
            I've often said that I believe most of us are good people and want to do good.

There was a quote pulled from Reddit that I think hits the mark here, "a solid chance the dude didn’t even expect anything. Humans love feeling useful and it’s really really hard to feel anything but worthless when you’re homeless.”

I do think many are held back from doing things they'd like to do. Maybe we don't know where to start or how to start. Maybe it's our anxieties that hold us back. I know that's the case for me.

But most of humanity, on the individual level, are good and strive to be so.

Do good.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If you haven't seen or heard this story over the weekend, I challenge you to spend a few minutes watching the story, then the race.

Dry eyes not allowed.

The story:

The race:

Bill Mott trainee Cody's Wish catches Cyberknife at the wire to win the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile, giving his namesake and connections an emotional victory.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                If you haven't seen or heard this story over the weekend, I challenge you to spend a few minutes watching the story, then the race.

Dry eyes not allowed.

The story:

The race:

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/cody...-dirt-mile-win
                I should cuss you out for cutting onions in my office, but I can't say that you didn't warn us.
                78-65

Comment

It's no secret I'm a big fan of dogs. So here's a group going above and beyond to save them.

Nation's Largest No-Kill Rescue Shelter Opens in Alabama to Save 5,000 Dogs a Year

These are Macon County Kennels, the largest no-kill rescue shelter in the U.S., and newly opened in Alabama to help combat a pet overpopulation crisis in the southeastern United States.

It was renovated from an old greyhound training center into a facility that has the capacity to save, rehabilitate, and adopt out up to 5,000 dogs per year.

Located in Macon County, the intention of the founders were to service a region encompassing eight states including Florida, and to help dogs find new homes across America.

“The opening of a second Big Dog Ranch Rescue location is something I’ve prayed for over the years,” Big Dog Ranch Rescue Founder and CEO Lauree Simmons said. “It’s a great day for us and, more importantly, it’s a great day for the dogs.”

Ironically, Big Dog Ranch Rescue hasn’t always had this big dog ranch. Since starting their work in 2008, they estimated they’ve saved 53,000 dogs from being euthanized.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Another Trucker is Named a Highway Angel for Rescuing Crash Victims After Witnessing High Speed Collision

A truck driver from Greenville, Texas, was named a ‘Highway Angel’ for stopping his travels to administer aid to two injured drivers after witnessing an incredible crash.

One morning two weeks ago, Tony Doughty was driving eastbound on Interstate 40 near Albuquerque, when he witnessed a red car ram into a Jeep while going around 70 miles per hour. He watched the Jeep flip over before the car crashed into a concrete barrier.

The accident unfolded while Tony was driving on the opposite side of the highway. While most people would call 911, how many people would pull over, instead of continuing down the road?

Doughty, a 15-year trucker who drives for Minnesota’s Bay & Bay Transportation, stopped in his tracks.

“I jumped out of the truck and grabbed my EMT bag,” said Doughty, who’s been a volunteer firefighter for 12 years.

Just as he was about to cross the highway to get to the crash site, a police officer who also happened to be driving by, stopped.

When discovering Doughty’s first responder background, he said, “You’re coming with me, buddy!” and the men ran to the crash scene.
                    Good people doing good. It never gets old.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

TikToker Raises $170,000 For Older Walmart Worker So She Can Pay Off Her Mortgage And Retire

Devan Bonagura recently posted a TikTok of a Walmart employee named Nola as she sat alone in the Walmart break room.

"Life shouldn't be this hard," he wrote in text over the video, which has been viewed more than 26 million times on the social media platform.
                      In response to encouragement from commenters, Bonagura set up a GoFundMe page the same day for Nola.

In a second video, Bonagura talks with Nola and learns that she needs to keep working to pay off her mortgage. She would need $170,000 to retire.

"That's what's holding me at work — the house," she says in the video.

In less than a week, the GoFundMe page raised $171,000 from nearly 13,000 donors.
                      He's allegedly been threatened by either his employer or Walmart with some sort of legal action if he didn't remove the video and take down the GoFundMe. I'm not sure under what grounds they could do anything, but I'm not a legal expert. Sounds more like trying to use their positions over him to threaten him in hopes it would scare him away. If that's all true, props to him for standing his ground and helping this lady out.

And for the record, it's not Walmart's fault that she needed so much money to pay off her mortgage and such, but it sounds like they've been attacked and vilified because of the video, but that's from people who can't separate the two things.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Simply amazing. F*ck the odds!

A Baby Born Weighing 1.18-lb Has Finally Come Home After Spending 4 Months in Hospital Fighting for Life (LOOK)

A baby born weighing less than a loaf of bread at just 535 grams has finally returned home to sleep in her own room.

Lauren Ormston’s pregnancy was initially smooth sailing. All her scans came back healthy—even the one at 20-weeks—and she expected to welcome her baby on July 1st.

But on March 4, she began to get severe pains in her abdomen and when she went to the hospital in Surrey, England, she learned she was going into premature labor.

She was immediately induced and two hours later gave birth to baby Isla, weighing just 1.18-lb. Doctors told the 27-year-old and her fiancé that the baby had only a 10% chance of survival due to her size. Laura could only cuddle Isla for a few minutes before she was taken to a ventilator.

“I lived each day, never knowing if she would make it,’ said the first-time-mom.

Baby Isla was later diagnosed with a level two bleed on the brain and a hole in the heart.

”She looked so small and fragile, like she would snap at the slightest bit of movement,” Lauren, from Hartley Wintney, Hampshire, told SWNS news. “I was so worried, but I knew my baby girl was a fighter.”
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Here's a story I guarantee you're not going to see every day, or year.

Three Mermaids Save a Scuba Diver From Drowning: 'Not Just Pretty Tails And Smiles'

A fairytale rescue saved an experienced diver from drowning when a trio of mermaids suddenly showed up off Catalina Island in California.

Pablo Avila lost consciousness while scuba diving with his son and a friend on Oct. 23, which coincided with the second day of a mermaid training course nearby.

A 33-year-old mermaid performer and diver from Miami who was leading the certified diving course in open water jumped into action when they all heard calls for help.

Elle Jimenez and two of her students, all donning their mermaid fins, used their training—and their tails—to speedily take control of the situation.

Mermaid student Elaina Marie Garcia, a certified diver who also works as a firefighter, said Mr. Avila was foaming at the mouth and unconscious by the time they reached him.
                          It's amazing how often that right place, right time is almost destined.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Props to our Amazon overlord

Jeff Bezos Just Gave $100 Million to Dolly Parton for Her Charity as the 3rd Winner of His 'Courage & Civility Award' Prize

At a recent event, Amazon Founder Jeff Bezos named Dolly Parton as the latest winner of his Courage and Civility Award.

The award recognizes leaders who “aim high, find solutions, and always do it with civility”. Each awardee receives 100 million dollars to invest in the charities of their choice.

In Dolly’s case, the mega-donation could be invested in her Imagination Library, which two months ago hit the milestone of 190 million free books gifted to children.

“(She) embodies these ideals so thoroughly,” said Bezos, who stepped down from CEO of his company last year to focus on philanthropy.

“She gives with her heart. What she’s done for kids and literacy, and so many other things, is just incredible.”

In her acceptance remarks, Dolly said, “When people are in the position to help, you should help.” She thanked Bezos and said she believes he gives from the heart too.
                            Dolly is an angel and her mission in literacy has been truly fantastic. This money is going to go a long, long way.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Another youngster saving the life of a classmate!

4th Grader Uses Heimlich To Save Student From Choking

Lunchtime at Racine’s Fratt Elementary School in Madison took a sudden and serious turn on Tuesday. Essie Collier, a fourth grader, noticed one of her classmates was in distress.

"I just saw that she was holding her neck, and I rushed up there as fast as I can," Essie said.

Teacher Samantha Bradshaw said Essie wrapped her arms around the student and began performing the Heimlich. Her classmate's airway was cleared, and within seconds the girl was breathing fine.

"I have never seen a student react in that way before," Bradshaw said.

Essie said that she learned the technique two years earlier from a YouTube instructional video, when she was 7, and that the lesson stayed with her.
                              Video at the bottom of the article. Looks like she was interviewed by local news. I'm always impressed when someone so young is able to react and help in such a way. Mad props to Essie!
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

This is beautiful. I love the effort.

Adorable Grandmother Took Notes During 30 Marvel Superhero Films so She Can Relate to her Grandkids

A grandmother was filmed taking notes during a Marvel superhero movie marathon, which at this point includes 30 films, all so she can be closer to her grandkids and talk to them about their interests.

Cheryl Skiados, who is in her 70s, was filmed by her grandson Jackson King, partway through her Marvel movie-fest.

Whether you live in Kuala Lumpur, Kingston, or Vancouver, grandparents can probably all relate over “the kids today.”

Skiados has 13 grandkids in total, from age 6 to 22, and they’re all big Marvel fans. Rather than writing off their interests as frivolous, as grandparents are wont to do, she decided to try to get on the same level as the whippersnappers.

“I just moved in with my grandparents, and my grandma is making her way through all the Marvel movies,” said 18-year-old Jackson. “She is watching them in the order they came out and she asked if I wanted to watch one with her, so of course, I said ‘yes’.

“I think it really shows how much she cares about her grandchildren, because she is willing to sit there for hours on end and watch superhero movies, and take notes on them, just so she can have something extra to talk to her grandkids about.”
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X