• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This girl is 13. Frickin awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
      This girl is 13. Frickin awesome!

Impressive! That competition looks FUN too. I'd try it if they do it around here?
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

From near death to inspiring the world. This Paralympic Snowboarder Sees Her Adversity as the Greatest Opportunity to Inspire

At the age of nineteen, Amy Purdy, who was an avid snowboarder, experienced flu-like symptoms that were later diagnosed as Bacterial Meningitis, a deadly blood infection.

Amy was given less than a 2% chance of living.

Losing both of her legs, hearing in her left ear, her kidney and her spleen, Amy was forced to reassess how she would embark on new adventures and achieve her dreams.

In essence, Amy had to decide how she wanted her life to go and how she would write the next chapter of her life.

While leaning into change is never easy, Amy embraced it as an opportunity. She promised herself two things: one, she would get back on her snowboard. “I was so passionate about snowboarding, which really is what got me through my darkest days. That and being grateful that I was alive.”

And two: something positive would be born out of this experience. That’s been her steadfast determination ever since.

Amy’s transition back into daily life was hard-fought, and she learned first-hand the myriad challenges that people with disabilities face every day. What struck a real chord was the complete lack of resources for engaging in active sports—which brought her the most happiness.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

When you hear so many stories of schools shutting down anything 'different' during graduation, but then we get this.

Video at bottom of article.

Jedi Student Sneaks Lightsabers Into Graduation and Challenges Principal to Battle-WATCH

Star Wars fanatic Hunter Wark-Pantoja had an elaborate plan to combine his favorite film with one of the most important moments of his life.

The 18-year-old walked to the stage and after receiving his high school diploma he pulled two lightsabers from under his gown and challenged Todd Clerkson to a battle.

Star Wars fanatic Hunter Wark-Pantoja had an elaborate plan to combine his favorite film with one of the most important moments of his life.

The 18-year-old walked to the stage and after receiving his high school diploma he pulled two lightsabers from under his gown and challenged Todd Clerkson to a battle.
          Despite media and a number of people online, I continue to believe most people are good and mean well.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Probably should have let the first guy in on the event. The guy handing him his diploma (from the angle and quality of the video) stepped back, apparently scared as ****, and probably justifiably so in todays world where a kid goes to suddenly unzip his gown and reach for something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Probably should have let the first guy in on the event. The guy handing him his diploma (from the angle and quality of the video) stepped back, apparently scared as ****, and probably justifiably so in todays world where a kid goes to suddenly unzip his gown and reach for something like that.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Man is Reunited With Sentimental Ring From Mom-After Losing it Picking Berries 50 Years Ago

54 years after the signet ring ran off, Dave got a call from his friend’s brother Peter who still owns the land. A metal detectorist working for Peter asked if he could detect in the very same field where the item had been lost, to which Peter agreed and informed him about the missing ring.

It was found seven inches deep in the ground with only one slight scratch ready to be polished out, and Dave went to collect it from Leicestershire later that week.

“The ring might not have changed but its owner has—so it’s a fairly tight fit,” Radley said. “I’ve had to have it changed slightly as I can just about get it on. But none of that matters because I’m so grateful to have it back”.

“My family wasn’t too well off in those days and I spent hours searching for it on the rows we had been. My mother wasn’t upset with me, just more upset because of how distraught I was.”

“When I got the call from Peter I couldn’t quite believe it—the joy I felt in that moment is indescribable.”
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

This one would be hard for most of us to even consider. But the man behind it isn't wrong. We truly don't know what others situations are and what may lead to certain decisions and a hopeless, helpless feeling that there's nothing you can do. I give this man much praise for taking this approach and trying to better the world by helping others.

Man Tracks Down Teen Who Mugged His Nephew to See if He Would Turn His Life Around

Davis went to the scene of the mugging after confirming the police were going to do very little. He was expecting to find an adult, but as Davis searched CCTV and doorbell camera footage near where the event took place and spoke to people in the area, he bumped into a kid who matched one of the pictures he had been given only to realize he was just a boy.

“Look, I know who you are, I know what you’ve done, and I can help you, but you’re going to have to return the bag,” Davis said, remembering the confrontation.

Afterwards Davis wrote to his social/charity work circles for help.

“Although what he did was completely wrong, he said he was broke and needed the money… he’s 16 years old and has no qualification.”

“Despite this he wants to work in computer engineering… this kid doesn’t need punishment, he needs help… if there is anyone that knows about career routes/training programs for him, please drop me a dm.”

As chairman of Southside Young Leaders Academy, a charity helping young African and Afro-Caribbean boys become leaders, Davis has dealt with many kids in the same situation, noting “sometimes people aren’t ready for whatever reason.”

“Sometimes children are so traumatized from what they’ve been through as young children that it’s really hard for them to have any connection or belief that they can do anything other than what they’ve been exposed to at such a young age.”

“I can see in this young man there’s something in him that wants to go on and do good. It’s just, can he see far enough into the future? To be able to take advantage of the good nature and goodwill of so many people?”
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Great stories above. Here's a song that has a great back story to it. Blessings Offer

Here's Blessings Offer's back story. He became blind at 10 years old. Some of you might recognize his newest hit "Brighter Days". It's a great positive song.

https://www.greenwichfilm.org/in-the...lessing-offor/

On my way to New York the other morning, I ran into Blessing again and spoke with him at length about his life and the documentary he is in the process of making. His story is nothing short of extraordinary.

Blessing was born in Nigeria with almost complete blindness in one eye. His parents, in the hopes that they could save some of his vision, made the gut wrenching decision to allow a 6-year-old Blessing to move to America with an Uncle to be able to get help at Yale Medical Center.

As any parent can imagine, letting a desperately loved child leave you because you know he will be better off elsewhere, is a truly selfless gift. Blessing went through countless surgeries on his eyes in the first few years, but his upbeat nature and his infectious smile were always with him.

Playing in the backyard of his uncle’s house with friends when he was 10 years old, Blessing was hit in a vulnerable part of his one “good” eye and lost his vision completely. He told me he was concerned that his parents would think of him as a failure for losing his vision. Instead of succumbing to darkness, Blessing began to lean increasingly on other skills and discovered his ability to connect with others through music.

The first time Blessing’s parents saw him sing was on The Voice. For Voice fans (I admit it is our favorite family show!) he got a four-chair turn and was on Team Pharell and then Team Adam. Blessings parents had never heard him sing until the moment his Voice was blasted out to the world on primetime television. After two decades, Blessing is ready for his homecoming. He wants to return to Nigeria to sing for his family and his people and to thank them for the wonderful life they let him live. As he told me on the train, everyone has something; I would rather have my challenge be visible to everyone than have a challenge in my head or my heart.

Official Audio for “Brighter Days” by Blessing OfforListen here: https://BlessingOffor.lnk.to/BrighterDaysID Follow Blessing:Instagram: https://www.instagram...

Another song by Blessings Offer and TobyMac

Official Lyric Video for “The Goodness” by TobyMac and Blessing OfforStream & Download here: https://TobyMac.lnk.to/LifeAfterDeathID Subscribe to TobyMac on ...
                    Last edited by Shockm; September 12, 2022, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Bengaluru Doctor Ditches Car Stuck in Traffic to Run 45 Minutes and Perform Critical Surgery

Heavy rains had, on August the 30th, caused p particularly infamous stretch of road in the capital of the state of Karnataka to become partially waterlogged. With traffic showing no signs of easing, gastroenterological surgeon, Dr. Govind Nandakumar, made a decision.

He knew he already had a patient prepped for surgery, and two other patients later in the day with scheduled procedures.

“I did not want to waste any more time waiting for the traffic to clear up as my patients aren’t allowed to have their meals until surgery is over,” said Dr. Nandakumar to the Times. “I did not want to keep them waiting for so long.”

The traffic in Bengaluru has prevented patients from reaching hospital emergency rooms before, so Nandakumar didn’t bother to chance it.
                      How many doctors are doing this? I know most don't get put in such situations, but it would be really easy to just blame traffic and make everyone wait. Props to Dr. Nandakumar for jumping out of his car and running to work instead of waiting for who knows how long to get there by car. I'm sure his patients that day were especially grateful for his efforts.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Anyone who helps dogs is okay in my book.

Woman Hailed as Hero For Using Drone to Locate Over 200 Lost Pups For Free

A dog lover has been hailed a ‘real-life superhero’ for using her drone to reunite families with their lost pups—most recently, just in time before a ‘deadly’ storm hit.

September 9th was a normal Friday for Erica Hart, as she abandoned her shopping trip to rush home and launch a drone search for a schnauzer before a rumbling thunderstorm made things worse.

Jamie Hollinshead phoned her from Clayton, Yorkshire, to say his rescue dog Hilda had bolted from their garden and they’d already searched for two hours.

The 33-year-old rushed to the last-known location and within 20 minutes spied the escaped pooch running down a residential road.

When the two-year-old dog darted into a nearby field and kept moving, Erica was able to direct Jamie and his wife to the best spot for intercepting her.

The couple from Clayton, who adopted the rescue dog this past April, has hailed Erica a ‘real-life superhero’ and believes Hilda could have been killed had she not been found before the thunderstorm hit minutes later.

“What she did is brilliant. She’s a hero, a real superhero.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Not exactly a fit for the thread, but it's a bit of a feel good story and brought a bit of a smile to me this morning, so here it is.

Cat Who Sneaks into School Gets His Class Photo Taken - And Portrait Packet is Sent Home to Mom

A cat performed the most head-scratching stunt in Wales recently on class picture day, leaving a group of proud moms “in floods of laughter.”

10 and 7-year-olds Meghan and Chloe Roberts were all dressed up and excited to have their picture taken at Drury Primary School, but their excitement couldn’t compare with that of Ziggy, their orange and white cat who regularly visits the school.

When Ziggy the “honorary student,” felt it was his turn, the 4-year-old effortlessly jumped up on the photo chair, looked straight at the camera, got his snap, and promptly left.

“Chloe handed the letter to me and I expected it to be her photos,” Chloe’s mom Emma Roberts told local Welsh news, The Leader. “But then when I looked I was just in floods of laughter and so were the other mums standing by me.”

“I asked her what had gone on and she said he just jumped on the chair. He didn’t need any encouragement, he just got up there for a photo. The school has just accepted him and he goes there at any opportunity. He’s there every day.”

Indeed the headmaster has described the cat’s attendance record as “an excellent example for other pupils.”
                          Cats don't get their own thread from me.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Catch It Kansas - Andover football players help cleaning crew after win at Eisenhower

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - One of the state’s best games last Friday ended with Andover eking out a 27-25 win at Eisenhower in Goddard. But it’s what members of the Andover High School football team did after the game that stood out for all the right reasons.

After the win, a group of Andover players noticed the cleaning crew in the stands, picking up trash. That crew included some students. Without hesitation, the group of Andover football players jumped in to help, shortening a typically two-hour job to about 45 minutes.

“It helped our crew tremendously and they did it without asking. They did it without any kind of ‘thank you’ at the time because most people left,” said Goddard, USD 265 Athletic Director Tony Douglas.

Douglas said Eisenhower students are inspired to help with cleanup after games home and away.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

It's always the young athletes that get the recognition. I left my hotdog wrappers in the Eisenhower stands and even tossed a few empty cups on the grounds to give the Andover kids an opportunity to feel good about themselves, yet not a single mention about me or guys like me in the article.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Good job Andover. It is great to hear about things like this.

Oh and well done KungWu. Way to do your part.
                                Go Shocks!

Comment

Working...
                                X