East Side vs. West Side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Side vs. West Side

I've lived on both sides. Currently on the far west side.

East side = Worse traffic but more entertainment and new places tend to always build out east
    West Side = Better traffic (except for Maize rd), IMAX, New Market Square

Opinions? Which side do you prefer?

I work on the west side, but have spent most of my life on the east side, being as I'm a BuCo kid. I can't really say one is better than the other, but I'm more comfortable on the east side and can more easily navigate it so I guess I prefer it.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I live at 13th/Greenwich and I don't think traffic is bad at all in this part of town. Tons of dining and entertainment. If they'd only repave a few of the roads. I actually preferred Derby but they insist on putting stoplights every 50 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
        I live at 13th/Greenwich and I don't think traffic is bad at all in this part of town. Tons of dining and entertainment. If they'd only repave a few of the roads. I actually preferred Derby but they insist on putting stoplights every 50 yards.
        Yeah, once you get east of Webb, traffic isn’t as bad. I lived off Webb and my God the traffic was way worse than I thought it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          I work on the west side, but have spent most of my life on the east side, being as I'm a BuCo kid. I can't really say one is better than the other, but I'm more comfortable on the east side and can more easily navigate it so I guess I prefer it.
          My wife grew up in Andover so she’s the same way. It’s been adjustment on the west side for her.

Comment

I grew up near Central and Ridge. Right after high school, my parents moved to 135th and Maple, and I continued to shack up with them through my undergrad program at Friends. I'm partial to the west side, has a less pretentious feel. Totally a subjective thing.

By the way, LOL at the talk of "traffic."
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I live behind New Market Square and will say the traffic typically isn't bad at all.

I have just about everything I could need within a few miles which is nice.

​​​​​Entertainment is sparse but I don't typically spend much on entertainment anyway. It would be nice if something like the Sandbox which is planned for Derby would go into NW Wichita. I rarely ever go to the East side other than for a Shocker game.
              Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
                I live behind New Market Square and will say the traffic typically isn't bad at all.

I have just about everything I could need within a few miles which is nice.

​​​​​Entertainment is sparse but I don't typically spend much on entertainment anyway. It would be nice if something like the Sandbox which is planned for Derby would go into NW Wichita. I rarely ever go to the East side other than for a Shocker game.
                The only reason we go to the east side is Costco and my wife likes Whole Foods.

You live on the west side of maize rd? If so, we actually wanted to find a place in that neighborhood but nothing was for sale at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

The only reason we go to the east side is Costco and my wife likes Whole Foods.

You live on the west side of maize rd? If so, we actually wanted to find a place in that neighborhood but nothing was for sale at the time.
                  Yes, behind Target. We bought a little over 10 years ago. I couldn't imagine buying at current prices though.

I've visited Whole Foods in other cities and they're nice.
                  Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

West siders are squinty eyed bastards. Can’t trust them.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                      Racist comment.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                        That's cause we catch you east siders doing some shady shat!

Comment

Ohhh.... fun, fun! Like a "which oil is best" thread on an auto/bike/boat forum. Good times!

Has Kung Wu chimed in?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                            Ohhh.... fun, fun! Like a "which oil is best" thread on an auto/bike/boat forum. Good times!

Has Kung Wu chimed in?
                            To this day when I go out east probably 20% of people are masked. What is that all about?
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

New retail/dining dollars from out-of-state corporations and their RE site selection consultants say east side, and it is not even really close. The disparity is massive, at least in the scale/context of the Wichita market.

West side is more uniform, from a single-family home perspective, as well as in a demographic context. On the east side you go from getting shot on your porch as a weekend activity, to the Kochs and Wichita County Club, in like three football fields or something. Way, WAY more diverse out east, if you're a weirdo who is fixated on race.

Like cool, old homes/neighborhoods? East side all the way. West side has no compliment whatsoever to College Hill. West side is a total bust in that regard unless you consider all or one of the 11,493 Westlink or Westlink Village additions as a "cool, old neighborhood".

If you enjoy the outdoors the east edge of Wichita is basically the start of the Flint Hills, which while nothing amazing, at least offers something. Past the west edge of Wichita is land so flat I'm surprised the flat earth-er types don't have an annual convention.

I would disagree on traffic. Don't really see much diff, and I'm all over this town every day with what I do for a living. The caveat would be holiday shopping season - east side is pretty bad then.

Comment

Working...
                              X