No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local clothing brand trying to make an impact, and also using local HS talent as brand ambassadors and supporting them through NIL. This includes Shocker commit T.J Williams.

Eagle - Former Shocker basketball player launches Wichita clothing brand promoting inclusivity

A former Wichita State men’s basketball player is trying to make an impact on the Wichita community through a clothing brand promoting inclusivity.

Wichita native Tony Johnson, who played for the Shockers from 1990-92, has recently launched One4Us, an apparel line inspired by the 14th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which grants equal rights to all citizens.

Johnson and his wife, Tuyet, have made it their passion project to produce high-quality and fashionable clothing while using their brand to help raise awareness on social justice issues in Wichita, like bail bond reform.

“It’s not just for people of color, it’s for anyone who can identify with the mission that we’re trying to accomplish and that’s to include everyone,” Johnson said. “We want to make everyone feel like they’re special and they belong in our society.”

This past weekend the clothing brand hosted its debut event at Knockout Sneaker Boutique, located at 600 E. Douglas. Heights star T.J. Williams, a WSU basketball signee, signed autographs as a brand ambassador.

With the ability to support high school athletes through Name, Image and Likeness, One4Us has made it a priority to connect with local high school athletes to help give back to the community.

Northwest volleyball standout Nina Mitchell is also a brand ambassador, while NFL players and Wichita natives Breece Hall and Davontae Harris have also been seen wearing the brand.

“We want to invest in Wichita athletes and help give these high school athletes a platform to showcase themselves,” Johnson said. “We’re ICT proud, so building those relationships is really important to us. We want all of us to be able to grow and be proud of our city and represent each other and support one another.”
    One4Us
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WBJ - Report: Wichita rents are up - but apartments remain more affordable than peer cities

Apartment rents have seen a big cooldown in some places throughout the country.

That's not the case in Wichita, though getting a rental in the city remains more affordable than other peer metros across the U.S.

In December, according to Rent.com data, the city had the 13th largest year-over-year effective rent increase — 3.91% — in the country.

However, Wichita's median effective rent of $872 per month was the least expensive of the top 100 U.S. cities analyzed. Tulsa came in second at $975.

Cities like Omaha ($1,179), Oklahoma City ($1,001) and Kansas City ($1,291) also had notably higher rents.

The new data follows separate reports last fall from NAI Martens and Kansas City-based MMG Real Estate Advisors that showed Wichita rents showcasing resiliency.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Wichita tech startup Weavix raises $23M in venture capital funding

A Wichita-based startup raised more than $23 million last week in a Series B funding round.

New York-based venture capital and private equity firm Insight Partners led the investment into technology-based Weavix, which produces a smartphone-type communication system for on-the-ground industry workers.

The company says the funding will allow it to expand its product line into new industries, as well as hire 150 new employees this year.

"I’m truly excited to work alongside some of the largest and most accomplished industry leaders who share a commitment to enabling and solving the unique challenges faced by the frontline workforce," said Augusta entrepreneur Kevin Turpin, founder and CEO of Weavix, in a news release. "... Our new partners best prepare Weavix to set the stage for the rapid growth trajectory we expect this year.”

It's the second major investment into the Wichita tech company in recent years. In January 2022, Koch Disruptive Technologies, a division of Wichita-based Koch Industries Inc., invested $10 million in the company.
        Things are looking pretty good for this young company (2021). Love seeing a local tech company grow and expand.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Freddy's continues to grow

WBJ - Freddy's announces series of development agreements to expand U.S. reach

Earlier this month, Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers reaffirmed its goal of hitting the 800-location mark by 2026.

It's now announced multiple multi-unit development agreements that could help it get there.

On Monday, the Wichita-based fast-casual chain said it recently inked deals with several franchisees to bring more than 30 new restaurants online across New Mexico, Texas, Idaho, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arizona, Oregon and Utah.
          They opened a company record 62 restaurants last year and I believe have something like 130 in the works prior to this announcement. Including a number in Canada. I believe that they've previously said that 2024 may top the record set in 2023.

The Freddy's franchisee growth tied to the development agreements includes:
          • ERC Hospitality, which already operates 34 Freddy's, planning to build 13 new locations in New Mexico and El Paso, Texas.
          • EMS Management committing to open nine new Freddy's restaurants in Idaho, Oregon and Utah.
          • TR Hospitality, which already has a Freddy's presence in Tyler, Texas, planning to move forward with three locations between Longview, Tyler, and Lindale, Texas.
          • Ram-Z, which has nine restaurants and a university campus location in Oklahoma and Texas, signing on for five new units — on top of 13 already in development — to be built in Oklahoma and northwest Arkansas.
          • Jaytoo committing to launch three Freddy's locations in Arizona, where it already has 13 of the brand's restaurants and five more currently in development.
          • Meyer & Lovinger Restaurant Partners looking to open its third Missouri location — this one in Neosho.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Four Wichita health-care projects taking shape in early 2024

Health care has remained a stable sector of the commercial real estate industry in Wichita in recent years.

These four ongoing or recently completed projects are prime examples.

From senior living to behavioral health, these expansions taking shape across the metro aim to expand access to health care.
            This is an important industry in the area and one that will only continue to grow as the metro grows.

Oxford Senior Living renovates former KMH

After acquiring the shuttered Kansas Masonic Home in late 2023, Oxford Senior Living has started renovations ahead of a soft opening planned for March 1. The campus, at 402 S. Martinson near Seneca and Maple, will be renamed Oxford Vista and offer independent and assisted living, as well as memory care, according to a news release.

There will be 20 memory care beds, 54 independent living apartments, 63 assisted living apartments and a skilled nursing unit with 90 nursing home beds will come later in 2024, said Oxford Senior Living president Chris Dennis.
            There never seems to be enough facilities like these. I know absolutely nothing beyond that.

NMC Health plans $3.4-million expansion to emergency department

Newton Medical Center is planning to expand its emergency department in order to better serve patients in need of behavioral health services during emergency situations, according to a news release from the hospital.

NMC Health says patients currently experiencing a crisis are treated in regular ER rooms, but their needs require specialized 24-hour, one-on-one care.

The expansion, the hospital says, is a result of an increase in patients seeking emergency care for behavioral health crisis in recent years.
            I don't know what goes on in Newton, but this seems like a nice step forward to better assist those in crisis, rather than trying to treat them rather quickly in an ER.

Wesley opens new $10.9-million oncology unit

Wesley Healthcare celebrated a grand opening earlier this month of its new oncology unit. The 33-bed Sarah Cannon Oncology Unit, HCA Healthcare's oncology service line, is designed to provide specialized care to cancer patients and their families.

The $10.9-million project renovated Wesley's eighth floor with updated patient rooms, strategically placed nursing stations and a new family room with several amenities.

Initially announced in 2022, the new unit will also increase patients' access to clinical trials and to certified oncology nurse navigators — individuals who are trained to guide cancer patients through the health-care system.
            This is a big deal for the area. Being able to even better serve those fighting cancer.

ComfortCare Homes opens new Morningside location

A Wichita provider of long-term residential care for those living with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia will celebrate a grand opening this week of a new location.

ComfortCare Homes, which is licensed by the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services as a Home Plus facility, has expanded its Morningside campus in northwest Wichita with a newly-built home that will serve 10 residents with full-time nursing care supervision. Located near the southeast corner of 29th Street and Tyler Road, the campus already has two homes that were constructed in 2020.

"The two west-side ones that we did before were just really successful and families really loved that they're still the Home Plus model, but updated, nice location," Micala Gingrich-Gaylord, ComfortCare’s CEO, said in a July interview. "We had such an interest on the west side of town."
            Having facilities like this can go a long way for families that have someone suffering with severe dementia/Alzheimer's. They're also planning some renovations and additions to the east side location.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This seems like a nice way to expose and promote to the youth and inspire the next generation of musicians.

KSN - Wichita Symphony creating new 'Youth Concert Band'

The Wichita Symphony Orchestra is creating a new youth concert band.

The band is for children in sixth to eighth grade. No audition is required, but children will need to apply to be considered.

Tuition is $125, with need-based scholarships available. Practices will be held on Mondays from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Duerksen Fine Arts Center at Wichita State University.

The deadline to apply is March 1. For more information or to apply, click here.

For more about the Wichita Symphony and its programs, visit their website.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                This seems like a nice way to expose and promote to the youth and inspire the next generation of musicians.

KSN - Wichita Symphony creating new 'Youth Concert Band'

The WSO really does a lot with their youth programs. This new one for middle schoolers is in addition to the existing Youth Wind Ensemble for high school students, and then there are three youth orchestras that have been around for a long time. Lots of talented young musicians in the 316!
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Another restaurant looking to make a move into Wichita.

WBJ - Wienerschnitzel on hunt for a franchisee to bring its chili dogs to Wichita

As national franchises and fast-food chains continue to arrive in Wichita, a California-based brand believes it has something unique to bring to the table.

Wienerschnitzel, which has more than 320 locations in 11 states, is looking for a franchisee that can open the hot dog chain's first Kansas location in Wichita.

The company would like to sign a three-restaurant development deal for the market and ideally open its debut location within 18 to 24 months, said Ted Milburn, director of U.S. franchise development at Galardi Group, the parent company of Wienerschnitzel, Tastee Freez and Hamburger Stand.
                  Milburn said the brand doesn't have a specific portion of the area where it wants to open first, choosing instead to lean on the expertise of the franchisee when making that decision down the road.

In Dog N Shake, Wichita does already have a longtime, locally-based restaurant with a hot dog focus.

Milburn said his hope is that Wienerschnitzel would be complementary.

"If anything, we'd like to think we would help with their sales, and we could help bolster the notion of a good hot dog in the market," he said.
                  And Milburn believes Wichita's track record of producing entrepreneurial businesses — from Pizza Hut to Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers and beyond — could serve Wienerschnitzel well.

"It's known for entrepreneurial history — this just falls in line," he said.

In addition to Culver's recently breaking ground on its first local restaurant, Wichita has seen a string of national brands show interest in coming to the city.

The likes of Fatburger, Dutch Bros and Paris Baguette made local debuts in recent years, while Whataburger, Hawaiian Bros and The Melting Pot are among those with goals of opening their first Wichita-area locations by early 2025. Shipley Do-Nuts is another national company with local arrival ambitions.
                  No mention of Jack in the Box which makes me wonder if they couldn't find any franchisee takers and have backed away. Dog N Shake isn't in the most convenient location and it only has one location doesn't it? I haven't been there in years. I've never had Wienerschnitzel and its direct competition would be pretty limited. Outside of Dog N Shake, Sonic is the only other place I can think of that does a chili dog. I'm sure there are others. Freddy's does hot dogs, but I'm not sure they have a chili dog option. Are there any others in the area?

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    Another restaurant looking to make a move into Wichita.

WBJ - Wienerschnitzel on hunt for a franchisee to bring its chili dogs to Wichita

No mention of Jack in the Box which makes me wonder if they couldn't find any franchisee takers and have backed away. Dog N Shake isn't in the most convenient location and it only has one location doesn't it? I haven't been there in years. I've never had Wienerschnitzel and its direct competition would be pretty limited. Outside of Dog N Shake, Sonic is the only other place I can think of that does a chili dog. I'm sure there are others. Freddy's does hot dogs, but I'm not sure they have a chili dog option. Are there any others in the area?
                    Four DogNShake locations in the ICT. E Central, S Hillside, S Seneca, and W Maple.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Four DogNShake locations in the ICT. E Central, S Hillside, S Seneca, and W Maple.
                      I figured there were more than just the one. I think my ex and I would occasionally hit the East Central one which is near 135 if I recall correctly, but it was always out of the way for us. I'm not sure I've ever seen any of the other three.

Heck, most places that move into town seem to focus on NE and NW Wichita so if they went that route there really wouldn't even be nearby competition for the Dog N Shake's.

I decided to Google the locations and I'm almost certain now that I've never driven within visual site of the other three. Though one of them wouldn't be too far to go for lunch when I'm in the office. It's outside my normal radius for food should I eat out, but I may have to go find it at some point.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Not my scene, but I'm guessing this is usually a good event for IBA

MSN - Monster Jam coming to Intrust Bank Arena in February

Monster Jam is coming to Intrust Bank Arena in February.

The 12,000-pound monster trucks will tear up the dirt in competitions of speed and skill.

The shows will be at 1 and 7 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 24, and at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 25.

There will be a pit party from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday. Tickets to the pit party must be purchased in addition to a ticket to Monster Jam for 1 p.m. on the same day. At the pit party, guests will be able to see the monster trucks up close and personal. Guests will also be able to meet drivers and crews, get autographs, take pictures, and enjoy other family-friendly activities.
                        Ticket prices start as low as $15. Which makes it about three times more affordable than attending a WSU game there.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Yahoo! - Kansas gains more residents than it lost in 2022

The website StorageCafe looked at moving trends across the United States. It found Kansas saw 26,000 more new residents than it lost, according to census data.

Nationwide, Kansas is the 11th most sought-after state for those looking to relocate. Kansas comes in just behind Oklahoma, which took the number 10 spot, and ahead of Kentucky, which is 12th.

Breaking down those numbers by generations, Millennials, meaning those born between 1981 and 1996, increased their numbers in Kansas by 9,288, ranking Kansas as #10 in the number of new residents from that generation. Baby Boomers, those born between 1946 and 1964, represent the next largest number, with 2,561 new arrivals.

Kansas is also popular with the “Silent Generation,” those born between 1928 and 1945. The state saw 2,318 new residents from the “Silent Generation,” placing Kansas at #7 nationally.

Just 941 members of Generation X, people born between 1965 and 1980, moved to Kansas in 2022. Kansas also lost 1,412 members of Gen Z, which is people born between the mid-1990s to the mid-2010s.
                          The Top Ten:

Florida
                          Texas
                          North Carolina
                          Arizona
                          Georgia
                          South Carolina
                          Connecticut
                          Tennessee
                          Mississippi
                          Oklahoma
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Wichita to host RiverCity Tattoo & LifeStyle Expo

Organizers are preparing for a large tattoo, piercing, beard, and jewelry event this May in Wichita.

They say the 2024 RiverCity Tattoo & LifeStyle Expo will be the first tattoo event of this size in Kansas in almost 20 years. It will be May 17-19 at Century II Exhibition Hall.

There will be nearly 50 tattoo artists offering live tattooing. Other booths will feature hair stylists, cosmetologists, paintings, jewelry, piercings, and clothing. There will also be competitions.
                            I'm glad they got all the city code BS figured out to allow this to go forward as desired.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This is pretty cool. Didn't realize they now had a location in Vegas to sell their product.

KAKE - Cocoa Dolce preparing thousands of chocolates to send to Las Vegas for Super Bowl

Chocolatiers filling molds, decorating truffles, and packaging thousands of chocolates. This is the scene in the Cocoa Dolce chocolate headquarters in downtown Wichita as it's making thousands of chocolates to send to its Las Vegas store for the Super Bowl.

"It's gonna be a busy busy place. We're sending tens of thousands of chocolates," said Ben Hesse, Cocoa Dolce's chief operating officer.

Cocoa Dolce will be sending more than 20,000 chocolates to its brand new store at the Fontainebleau resort in Las Vegas. The storefront opened in December of 2023 but all chocolates are made locally in Wichita. The resort has big plans for the Super Bowl and Cocoa Dolce is a sweet part of it.

"We're collaborating with Fontainebleau on an exclusive collection of chocolates for the big weekend which will be in each of the nearly 4,000 hotel rooms," said Hesse excitedly.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Here's a new business coming to town that I'll never fully understand, but I hope they have the clientele for it to be successful. There's nothing wrong with options and diversity of them.

WBJ - Kalene Hoffmann set to bring gourmet toast and juice bar franchise to Wichita

By late summer, Kalene Hoffmann, who in 2022 brought the city its first Bodybar Pilates studio, plans to open a gourmet toast and juice bar called Toastique in Cambridge Market at the southeast corner of 21st Street and Webb Road.

The restaurant will be located in Suite 115 at 9747 E. 21st St., near her Bodybar location in Suite 107.

Hoffmann said that with her Pilates studio in "a really good place" as a business — one of her members, Bridgett Combes, recently announced plans to open a Bodybar of her own in northwest Wichita — the timing was ideal for this type of franchise that also has a healthy lifestyle focus.

"It works perfect to have both businesses right next door to one another," Hoffmann said.
                                All I know about any of this is that Mrs. Hoffmann is easy on the eyes.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X