No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what you guys need. I'm at Tracks Lounge in Omaha eating. Best effing chicken wings in any city I've ever been to. Hole in the wall dump. Unbelievable chicken!
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
      I think if you take a hard look outside of Wichita, as a city, you don't have it all that bad. I haven't been to Wichita in about a decade, but its a nice city. In general, cities in the central Plaines are just that, nice and plain. I'll be in Tulsa this weekend, its plain. Omaha, plain. Des Moines, plain. KC, larger, but the plainest, milktoast NFL city there ever was. Each city has unique attractions and drawbacks, but in the end, most of the time, you can't differentiate Lincoln from Topeka. Push for enhancements, but always be thankful you don't live in Akron.
      Is Lincoln that shitty of a town?
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I want someplace that offers Chicago style pizza. I've never had it, but damn if they don't look good when I see them on TV.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Yeah. Lincoln has about 300,000 in their metro, with an economy almost totally reliant on public funds from either the university or government agencies. There are no expressways or freeways through lincoln, so if you want to get from one side to the other, prepare for lots of stop lights. Not that I have any firsthand experience, but I understand its extremely easy for the single guy to get laid there, so they have that going for them. Along with chlamydia.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Yeah. Lincoln has about 300,000 in their metro, with an economy almost totally reliant on public funds from either the university or government agencies. There are no expressways or freeways through lincoln, so if you want to get from one side to the other, prepare for lots of stop lights. Not that I have any firsthand experience, but I understand its extremely easy for the single guy to get laid there, so they have that going for them. Along with chlamydia.
            Kinda sounds like Lawrence, but I wonder if they have a comparable number of switch-hitters, pinch-hitters, and team-swappers. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. “Celebrate Pride!”

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• This one barely has anything to do with the 316, but I'm putting it here anyway.

WBJ - Kansas wins another Gold Shovel Award for economic development projects

Apparently there are population based categories and Kansas has gone back to back in states under 3M. I believe KS has around 2.5M. Each state is asked to submit 10 investment projects which are then evaluated on job creation, new facilities, diversity of industry and total investment dollars.

• $459.2 million: Hilmar Cheese Co. in Dodge City, 247 new jobs
              • $322.7 million: Bartlett Grain Company, LP in Cherryvale, 50 jobs
              • $251.5 million: Hill's Pet Nutrition in Leavenworth, 85 jobs
              • $251.4 million: Summit Sustainable Ingredients, LLC in Phillipsburg, 55 jobs
              • $70 million: TriRx Pharmaceutical Services in Shawnee, 250 jobs
              • $55 million: Torch Research, LLC in Leawood, 490 jobs
              • $18.9 million: Charter Communications, Inc., in Overland Park, 510 jobs
              • $11.4 million: Netsmart Technologies in Overland Park, 593 jobs
              • $9.9 million: WellSky Corp. in Overland Park, 593 jobs
              • $1.5 million: MCI BPO in Wichita, 500 jobs

In Wichita, Marlowe Companies, Inc., an Iowa-based holding company that does business-process outsourcing, announced in April its new customer service center at Towne West Square. MCI plans to hire 300 full-time equivalent employees in its first year of operation in Wichita, and add another 200 more in the second year — but many of them will be remote workers, the WBJ reported at the time.
              Above are the 10 KS used. Only one is in Wichita, and it's not an exciting one by any means. Looks like six of them are KC based.

Wichita needs to get aggressive.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I want someplace that offers Chicago style pizza. I've never had it, but damn if they don't look good when I see them on TV.
                Big B's Beef used to offer it down at a restaurant in Delano I believe. From the reports it was pretty authentic.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

Big B's Beef used to offer it down at a restaurant in Delano I believe. From the reports it was pretty authentic.
                  I'll have to look into it. With as much pizza options as we have around here, I'm surprised we don't have a little more diversity in styles. Or maybe I'm simply not aware of it as few seem to advertise their differences, if there are any, outside of ingredients.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• EB - A sneak peek at the Chicago-style pizzas from Big B's Beef

Coming soon, one of the most requested dishes in Wichita will be available for all the diners in this town. Big B’s Beef is almost ready to unveil their Chicago-style pizzas to the public, but before that we got a sneak peek at what’s to come.

First, what you’ll need to know. The owners, Brian and Liz Bathgate, will be serving their pizzas out of Fusion Restaurant at 1812 W. Douglas. Since Fusion is only open for breakfast and lunch, that leaves the evenings open which is when Big B’s Beef will take over.

While Big B’s Beef has a food truck that’s been selling such Chicago-style foods like Italian beef sandwiches, Italian sausage, Chicago dogs and more, they wanted to bring another part of home to Wichita. That’s where the pizzas come into play.
                    This was from October of '21. Not sure if they're still sharing this space or have their own, but I hope to check them out in the not too distant future.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Hangar Hangout

This is an even taking place Saturday afternoon in my hometown. It's also a fundraiser for Junior League of Wichita.

The event will include access to hangars at Stearman Field, which are not typically open to the public, live bands, planes, pop up shops and a silent auction. The link provided is where you can purchase tickets and see what they're offering.

I haven't seen any of the hangars myself, but I have a brother who at one time worked for DirecTV and was called out to do a couple of installs, as most of the hangars also have livings space within them. Some live there permanently I believe, while others are there for when they're needed. I hear they're pretty nice.

I'll be curious if they have any special aircraft coming in for this event. It's not uncommon to see some old WWI or WWII planes there. Fort Reilly sometimes sends down a couple of Blackhawk's and/or a Chinook. You can also find a lot of locally made jets and such at any given time. Extending the runway a while back was one of the best things they've done there.

Shameless hometown plug. Sub won't be in attendance as I'm finally taking the Learn to Ride course over at Twister City this weekend so I can get my license and hopefully a bike in the near future.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

LOL!

That's what I was going to say.

I'm reasonably familiar with both Topeka and Lincoln. Lincoln beats Topeka by miles. It is also far larger.

Comment

• I've only been to Topeka a few times and I've never been impressed with any of it. Also, I wish I could remember the name of the place, but the absolute worst Mexican food I'd ever had. It somehow had decent reviews and when my ex and I were traveling, we tried to eat at local places. That place was so bad we ended up running to McDonald's just to be safe before hitting the road. That food was completely unseasoned at all. Even the salsa was bland as hell. So disappointing.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KWCH - Goodwill donates about $15K to Andover tornado relief

The link is to a video that I can't listen to on the work computer, but the check is for $15,783.31.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Former NASA astronaut to make appearance at Cosmosphere

HUTCHINSON, Kan. (KSNW) — Former National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut Nicole Stott will be at the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson for a book signing on Thursday, June 16.

Stott recently wrote a book titled “Back to Earth: What Life In Space Taught Me About Our Home Planet And Our Mission to Protect It,” which is inspired by her experiences as a crew member of the International Space Station and Space Shuttle missions.

The signing will take place from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. The book is for sale in the Cosmosphere gift shop.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I've only been to Topeka a few times and I've never been impressed with any of it. Also, I wish I could remember the name of the place, but the absolute worst Mexican food I'd ever had. It somehow had decent reviews and when my ex and I were traveling, we tried to eat at local places. That place was so bad we ended up running to McDonald's just to be safe before hitting the road. That food was completely unseasoned at all. Even the salsa was bland as hell. So disappointing.
                                Topeka has some good spots, just harder to find. Mostly chain restaurants.

Blind Tiger
                                College Hill Pizza Pub (no longer around, but man, it was good)
                                Burger Stand
                                Paisano's
                                Bobo's - highly recommend - dive place but amazing food
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X