Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SubGod22
    replied
    WBJ - Augusta-based Midwest Hemp strikes partnership with USDA-funded agrobusiness

Augusta-based tech startup Midwest Hemp Technology is now certified as a sustainable agricultural goods provider by a USDA-funded program.

The startup, which produces hemp seed food, oil, and industrial hemp products, including hurd, fines, and short strand fiber, announced a strategic partnership Monday with Grown Climate Smart, a subsidiary of Wisconsin-based agriculture business and exporter The DeLong Co. that certifies and supports companies with climate-friendly agriculture products.

Grown Climate Smart is a grantee of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Partnerships for Climate-Smart Commodity, a $3.1 billion initiative investing in sustainable production agriculture by small and underserved farmers.

"As more buyers in the hemp market look for sustainable and environmentally friendly products, our partnership with Grown Climate Smart perfectly fits these demands," Midwest Hemp CEO Sarah Stephens said in a news release. "This partnership is a significant step forward in our mission to showcase the environmental benefits of hemp."

The partnership will allow Midwest Hemp Tech to use Grown Climate Smart's sustainable commodity certification on its products and explore funding opportunities across Midwest and national markets.
    This should only help the business continue to improve and grow.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JJClamdip
    replied
    Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I was not pleased when he got out soon after the incident. He needs to pay the consequences. The innocent grandmother deserved much better. Many more citizens could have been harmed.
    From the Eagle this morning. https://www.kansas.com/news/local/cr...290835609.html
    Last edited by JJClamdip; August 8, 2024, 04:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied
    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Looks like a punk in that video. Hope prison treats him well.
    I was not pleased when he got out soon after the incident. He needs to pay the consequences. The innocent grandmother deserved much better. Many more citizens could have been harmed.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

That's the location of the old Aero Plains Brewery (which, I believe, Slape and Howard attorneys bought and used as their office). While Aero Plains had its shortcomings as a business, it had one of the best functional designs of a microbrewery/bar combo that I've seen in my travels. Glad to see it's going to again be utilized for that purpose.
    AeroPlains had some impressive product too. Disappointing that they couldn’t make a go of it.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post

I would assume rich daddy with an expensive lawyer.
    Looks like a punk in that video. Hope prison treats him well.

Leave a comment:

• JJClamdip
    replied
    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

How in the hell is he free on bond after pleading guilty?
    I would assume rich daddy with an expensive lawyer.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
    I bet this little dirtbag gets less time in prison than the Jackie Robinson vandal.

How in the hell is he free on bond after pleading guilty?

Leave a comment:

• JJClamdip
    replied
    I bet this little dirtbag gets less time in prison than the Jackie Robinson vandal.

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    That's the location of the old Aero Plains Brewery (which, I believe, Slape and Howard attorneys bought and used as their office). While Aero Plains had its shortcomings as a business, it had one of the best functional designs of a microbrewery/bar combo that I've seen in my travels. Glad to see it's going to again be utilized for that purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    It’d be kinda cool to see a trolley or cable car go between the new biomed building and Ascension via Christi (why’d they change the name from St Francis anyway) on a regular basis throughout the day.
    Not sure if traffic between the 2 facilities will financially justify the need but I assume we’ll see quite a few students and others going back and forth.
    Maybe something 100 years more modern than a cable car and all the visual pollution that comes with it? Maybe a maglev bullet train!!

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Wichita is getting another brewery.

KSNT - Manhattan Brewing Company expands to Wichita, opening this month

A brewing company in the Manhattan area is expanding across the Sunflower State.

Manhattan Brewing Company announced on X, formerly known as Twitter, it is opening up a permanent location in Wichita. The new brewery will take up residence at a brick and mortar location, near the Arkansas River, 117 N. Handley Street.

Manhattan Brewing Company Co-owner Jake Voegeli told 27 News his brother bought the building, which used to be an old brewery. The business had several pop-up’s at that location, and after seeing success, decide to make it permanent.

“We had done three pop-ups right before, and then after the third pop-up that basically the day after, we’re like, ‘Yeah, we should definitely do this more permanently’,” Voegeli said. “We got together, we talked it out, and worked out an agreement and here we are.”

Even though the brewery is expanding to a town with a university, Voegeli said its staying true to its purple roots.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Here's something a little different, but I think it's worth noting as this is an area that probably doesn't get enough love around here.

Broadway World - Review: MATILDA THE MUSICAL at Music Theatre Of Wichita At Century II Concert Hall

On July 31, 2024, I had the privilege of seeing an incredibly scintillating production of MatildaThe Musical, presented by Music Theatre Wichita in the Century II Concert Hall. I’m ashamed to say I knew next to nothing about the book, but I have seen myriad clips of the musical numbers. I was fearful it was going to so heavy, with very evil adult characters, but I was so surprised at how the comedic elements took the sting out of some of the most horrific characters. With its lessons on the importance of education and standing up for what’s right, I was thoroughly entertained by the evening’s performance. As I watched Matilda unfold I thought this in some ways feels like a traditional British Panto, a strictly British form that typically features gender role reversal, a storyline of good versus evil, slapstick comedy, colorful, eccentric costumes, and audience participation. The plot is often derived from a fairy tale or nursery story. The performance style is a direct descendent of the 18th Century Mummers plays, which were inspired by the 16th Century Italian form Commedia dell’ Arte. Pantos are most popular at Christmas time, and are family friendly. Some of the characters, and of course the language, had a decidedly British feel. When the Royal Shakespeare Company, who initially developed and staged the original West End production, transferred it to Broadway in the Spring of 2013, they decided the show would be set in England despite initial pressure for the show to be Americanized.

Matilda the Musical is based on the 1988 novel Matilda by Roald Dahl. Dahl’s most well known book was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which was the inspiration for the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The RSC at Stratford-upon-Avon commissioned Matilda, with music and lyrics by Tim Minchin and a book by Dennis Kelly. The plot follows a telekinetic 5 year old Matilda Wormwood as she navigates obstacles caused by her family and her arch nemesis Agatha Trunchbull, Headmistress of Crunchem Hall. Matilda also helps her sweet teacher, Miss Honey, reclaim her life. The show began its life in November 2010 with a twelve-week trial run at Stratford-upon-Avon. It moved to the West End in November 2011 and made its Broadway premiere in 2013. Matilda the Musical won seven 2012 Olivier Awards, and five 2013 Tony Awards. The film adaptation was released in 2022, and is currently available for viewing on Netflix.

Before the show began, Artistic Director Brian J. Marcum and Managing Director Angela Cassette came out for their curtain speech and to introduce the Youth Ensemble, who presented a Mamma Mia medley to honor of the idea of works that move from movies to stage. To reiterate The Year of the Woman 2024 Season theme, Marcum introduced the winner of the “Nominate Your Teacher" essay contest. The award for Outstanding Educator went to Maize Central Teacher Annalise Fischer.

Before I begin talking about performances, I need to point out that MTWichita is really knocking it out of the park in terms of set design this season. Every production I have seen this season has shown us exceptional scenic elements and production values. The Matilda set, designed by Michelle Ney, and working in collaboration with Projection Designer Michael Salvatore Commendatore, and Lighting Designer Yale Lubetzky, blew me away. There were so many tricks and changes that I stopped trying to figure out how everything was accomplished.The proscenium was ringed with with chalkboards, cages, and child’s blocks, all of which glowed in the dark. At first we see the surroundings in plain black and white, and in seconds everything is saturated with neon colors, and layered over the set are constantly morphing projections, like stars and letters, spikes, and fire, changing the color and mood of the set at any given time.
    I will continue to campaign for the Arts to get a new venue worthy of the value they are capable of bringing to the community. I never hear anything short of absolute praise for the work they do.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Wichita by EB - The Drone Light Festival returns to Wichita's Exploration Place

One of the coolest light shows will be returning to Exploration Place when the Drone Light Festival takes place on September 20-22.

This will be the festival’s third year as they look for a third consecutive sell-out success. Hundreds and hundreds of people made their way to Exploration Place in 2022 and 2023 to watch the synchronized drones.

The year’s festival will be bigger and better than last year. As a special bonus for 2024, this event marks the grand opening of the new Wichita Foundation Amphitheater and an all-new event plaza at Exploration Place.​
    Exploration Place is really a true gem for this community and it's only going to get better.

We need to keep Adam Smith here as long as possible.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Reminder that the Frontiers in Flight at McConnell AFB is around the corner.

Pensacola News Journal - The Blue Angels headline Frontiers in Flight air show at McConnel Air Force Base

The Blue Angels will head from the Pikes Peak Regional Air Show in Colorado Springs to the Frontiers in Flight air show held at McConnell Air Force Base.

The free, two-day Wichita air show will take place on Aug. 24-25. The base will open its gates at 9 a.m. for both days and thousands of guests will get a chance to witness the Blue Angels perform alongside several other professional performers.

Here’s what you need to know to watch the Blue Angels perform at the Frontiers in Flight air show.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X