Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SubGod22
    replied
    WBJ - Wichita developer advances Derby housing to second phase due to demand

After finishing the first phase of a 63-acre residential development called Foxfire Addition, Wichita developer Paul Kelsey said the response was overwhelming.

"We don't even have 12 lots left to sell," Kelsey said about the second phase.

Kelsey is picking up construction in September on the second phase of Fox Fire, which will build the remaining 100 of the planned 150 slated single-family housing lots at the development near 55th Street South and Woodlawn.

Foxfire broke ground in June 2023 to build 150 single-family lots in four phases. The development had 45 lots under construction for its first phase and had 10 contracts for Phase 2 in April.

Kelsey will build 44 housing lots in the second phase with long-time engineering partner Baughman Co. Builders Don Klausmeyer Construction and Comfort Homes Inc. are Kelsey's partners for the project.

Kelsey said Foxfire has single-family homes priced upwards from $200,000. The homes will be from 900 to 1,500 square feet and typically have a basement with a family room and bathroom downstairs.
    I can't imagine paying $200K for a 900 square foot home.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    WBJ - NAI Martens report: Wichita's increased apartment construction not likely to lose steam

A report from one of Wichita's largest commercial real estate firms projects the city will see around 800 new apartment units in 2024 — similar to last year's numbers — with that development rate continuing for the foreseeable future.

That forecast comes as NAI Martens' recently-released 2024 Multifamily Market Update also highlighted rent growth of 3.5% and nearly 96% occupancy this year in the Air Capital.

The report said northeast and northwest parts of the city continue to drive apartment development, but that downtown could soon be leading the way.

"It is expected that there will be over 800 units added to the central business district within the next few years, making this the largest growing sector," the report said.

In an interview, NAI Martens senior vice president Jeff Englert said in addition to new apartment projects close to the $300 million Wichita Biomedical Campus — which is poised for a Phase 1 opening in early 2027 — a huge potential luxury apartment development across downtown is also a big driver.

Earlier this year, Vantage Point Properties CEO Paul Jackson shared plans for a 370-unit Class A building on the northwest corner of Washington and Waterman. Tied to issues around parking, there is a possibility the project will be scaled back to a 258-unit effort that would not be reliant on leasing parking from the city.

"I'm not sure you've seen a project that size downtown in a long time," Englert said.
    I believe there's also an apartment building planned for Riverfront near the river. I know there's a hotel and street level retail planned, but I believe an apartment is as well. And just down the street, once they begin that planned development beyond center field, I think there has been talks of more apartments built there with more retail on the street level.

Though the plan to charge for all parking in those areas might slow down some of it as parking is pretty crucial for any apartments built downtown(ish).

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    WBJ - Rock River Rapids and Derby Shores - how will the Derby waterparks be different?

Mangus said the city waterpark is a cheaper option — $10 for day passes with season passes ranging from $60 to $75. According to a private 2022 feasibility study that was part of the STAR bonds application, Derby Shores could cost $45 per person in daily admission costs. No season pass projection was made.

"It’s like comparing apples to oranges," Mangus said, noting that most lagoon visitors will come from the adjacent hotel.

The projects, he said, target different population demographics. He said Rock River Rapids is a community recreational waterpark run by the city’s recreation commission and is intended for Derby residents.

According to the waterpark’s 2023 annual report, 70% of its around 78,000 visitors last year were Derby residents, with 30% coming from Wichita, Haysville and other nearby cities. The city generated approximately $758,000 in revenue by September.

Derby Shores, meanwhile, is a private investment planned to attract out-of-state tourists with the help of STAR bonds.

The feasibility study showed that Derby Shores is expected to host 248,000 annual visitors — around 75,000 in its first year after construction — with 50% coming from more than 100 miles away and 40% from another state. The development is also projected to generate $3.4 million in revenue.
    I've seen people talk about not needing two waterparks in Derby, but they're very different options and experiences targeted at very different clientele.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    WBJ - Wesley Medical Center ups hospital renovations to $350 million

Last forecasted to invest $250 million in a slate of significant hospital upgrades, Wesley Medical Center says that total is now expected to reach $350 million by the end of 2026.

On Tuesday, Wichita's City Council unanimously approved a modification of a letter of intent, initially approved back in 2018, to issue no more than $350 million in industrial revenue bonds. With the vote, Wesley secures additional savings of approximately $7.5 million from a sales tax exemption on certain expenses tied to the ongoing renovations.

It was the second time the Council has approved an IRB modification for Wesley, after voting in 2022 to cap the maximum to $250 million.
    The hospital says it has made significant investments so far:
    • Relocation of pediatric support services: $26 million
    • Immediate care unit addition: $12 million
    • Women's services upgrades for labor and delivery and waiting areas: $11 million
    • Tower renovations: $13 million
    With several other projects in progress or approved for funding, including $69 million for operating room renovations and $54 million for a new rehabilitation hospital, HCA requested the new cap at $350 million, though the letter of intent is still on target to close at the end of 2026

During Tuesday's meeting, Babbitt said the largest single project will be a complete overhaul of the parking garage, which Babbitt said he thinks is probably around 50 years old. The garage will be demolished and replaced with a "modern garage with all the upgraded features," he told to the Council.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    WBJ - Moran: Boeing chair says company is 'here to stay' during Spirit AeroSystems visit

Kelly Ortberg, less than a week into his new role as Boeing CEO, paid Wichita a visit on Monday, touring the aerospace giant's biggest supplier, as well as WSU Tech's National Center for Aviation Training.

The former Rockwell Collins CEO got a first-hand look at Spirit AeroSystems, the city's biggest employer and the company that Boeing aims to acquire through a $8.3 billion agreement announced earlier this summer. He then toured NCAT — a facility that has been held up by state and local officials as an example of the Air Capital's ability to deliver skilled talent for the industry.

It seems the visit — which came at the invitation of Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) and included Boeing chairman Steven Mollenkopf — went well.

"I asked (Mollenkopf) what...his takeaway was. He said, 'I'm incredibly impressed with the workforce and we are here to stay,'" Moran told reporters following the tour. "(Ortberg) said he was 'super impressed' and 'looking forward to the future.'"

Moran, who noted Boeing is still early in the acquisition process, said it was important for Boeing to see first-hand the value of the workers and aerospace supply chain in Kansas and Wichita.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

All duplexes. We're going to devolve into Haysville.
    Not all, but many

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    Speaking of development and more housing.

WBJ - Paul Kelsey to build single, multi and twin homes on 35-acre site in Goddard

There has been a lot of activity in Goddard
    All duplexes. We're going to devolve into Haysville.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Speaking of development and more housing.

WBJ - Paul Kelsey to build single, multi and twin homes on 35-acre site in Goddard

A Wichita developer has plans to expand his work in Goddard by adding single- and multi-family housing to the north of the city.

Paul Kelsey said he is developing a 35-acre development called Maple Tree on the southwest corner of 199th West and Maple Street. The development will have 93 housing lots, which include 60 single-family lots, 24 duplex lots and nine twin homes.

Added to Kelsey's other projects, the developer has more than 500 units of housing planned for the suburb west of Wichita.

There has been a lot of activity in Goddard

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied

Personally, I'd never consider a duplex or any variation thereof. I will say that there are people who do not want a lot of lawn to maintain and I can respect that. Myself being a dog owner there is absolutely no way I would ever put myself in a situation where they didn't have plenty of room to run around and enjoy outside. I pretty much hate my current house as it's old and small and doesn't allow me to do things I'd like to do. The positives are it was cheap when I bought it as I purchased it from a family member who just wanted what they spent on it. They also purchased it from another family member, and it has a good sized back yard that the dogs love.

I do have a friend that lived in a duplex after his divorce and he said it actually wasn't that bad. We had a lot of get togethers over there for Chiefs/Shockers/UFC and never had any issues with the neighbor and she never seemed to have an issue with us. So apparently they're not all bad. I can't speak to how these will be constructed, but it does give another living option for those that want to rent or own.
    You're correct that there is a customer base that are looking for this type of housing (mostly rentals). In the short term, they are likely money makers. However, in the long term, when inflation and long term interest rates come under control, I think that most people will go back to purchasing neighborhood housing, instead of renting, because it will be a better investment, and the people who have built these urban city types of apartment housing in smaller bedroom communities will have extra housing that will be deteriorating. IOW, Too many being built and bad long term investments.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

If it's like other new developments popping up around the outskirts of Wichita, it's a bunch of duplexes. There's a development just south of there called Fox Creek - https://icttownhomes.com/fox-creek (one of them for sale - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...51713026_zpid/) - and your "house" is half of a duplex and most are thin with the garage in the front, no side lawn, and very small backyard. Goddard has a bunch of them now too, as well as Valley Center and Bel Aire. Some of the developments are rentals and some where you have to buy. Hopefully anyone thinking of buying one of those duplexes maybe rents in one first to see if they like sharing a building with a neighbor and having very little outside space.
    Personally, I'd never consider a duplex or any variation thereof. I will say that there are people who do not want a lot of lawn to maintain and I can respect that. Myself being a dog owner there is absolutely no way I would ever put myself in a situation where they didn't have plenty of room to run around and enjoy outside. I pretty much hate my current house as it's old and small and doesn't allow me to do things I'd like to do. The positives are it was cheap when I bought it as I purchased it from a family member who just wanted what they spent on it. They also purchased it from another family member, and it has a good sized back yard that the dogs love.

I do have a friend that lived in a duplex after his divorce and he said it actually wasn't that bad. We had a lot of get togethers over there for Chiefs/Shockers/UFC and never had any issues with the neighbor and she never seemed to have an issue with us. So apparently they're not all bad. I can't speak to how these will be constructed, but it does give another living option for those that want to rent or own.

Leave a comment:

• AndShock
    replied

15 years for cutting down a statue to melt; but only 2 1/2 years for being a public nuisance, evading police and ultimately killing someone in a hit and run.

What the heck is wrong with our judges and district attorney's office?
    $$$$ is the only thing that matters when it comes to “criminal justice”. I could go on a big rant but the tl;dr is that if you can afford a good lawyer nothing that bad will ever happen to you. If you can’t, you will get screwed if you commit any criminal offense no matter how minor. Most people appearing for a municipal court case don’t even have a lawyer at their appearances.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post

Lots of money, his father is a M.D., https://www.statcareks.com/meet-the-providers, I bet he is real proud of the f*****g moron he raised.
    Well his kid had been doing a good job of sending him customers until he went a little too far. Just needs to dial it back a bit, and only cause "accidents".

Leave a comment:

• JJClamdip
    replied

15 years for cutting down a statue to melt; but only 2 1/2 years for being a public nuisance, evading police and ultimately killing someone in a hit and run.

What the heck is wrong with our judges and district attorney's office?
    Lots of money, his father is a M.D., https://www.statcareks.com/meet-the-providers, I bet he is real proud of the f*****g moron he raised.

Leave a comment:

• Ted Lasso's Neighbor
    replied
    Maize is set to grow a bit more.

WBJ - Wichita developer to break ground on 40-acre Maize development

It's pretty sad that entry-level housing these days starts at nearly a quarter million dollars. I own a home I was able to purchase a number of years ago. I'd like to upgrade, but housing prices are so our of whack right now that I can't afford to buy anything that doesn't need a lot of work done. I joke that I need to get married so I would have access to a second income in able to afford a home.

With that said, the area needs homes and there will be people that can afford them. I doubt many will be entering the home owners market for the first time.

I need to reach out to my contacts about the housing development being planned in my hometown. Those are supposed to be affordable but not cheap and I can't remember if I heard an expected starting price for them or not. I do know about a year ago or so I read something from a developer that due to the cost of materials and labor, it's nearly impossible to construct a new home for under $200K unless you're doing the bare minimum. Even then, I believe the developer said you'd still be looking at $180K or so.

If it's like other new developments popping up around the outskirts of Wichita, it's a bunch of duplexes. There's a development just south of there called Fox Creek - https://icttownhomes.com/fox-creek (one of them for sale - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...51713026_zpid/) - and your "house" is half of a duplex and most are thin with the garage in the front, no side lawn, and very small backyard. Goddard has a bunch of them now too, as well as Valley Center and Bel Aire. Some of the developments are rentals and some where you have to buy. Hopefully anyone thinking of buying one of those duplexes maybe rents in one first to see if they like sharing a building with a neighbor and having very little outside space.

Leave a comment:

• Ted Lasso's Neighbor
    replied
    I have a feeling the 15 year sentence was part of a deal initially. Probably along the lines of here's what you'll get unless you tell us the names of the other people with you that night. I don't think anyone else was convicted, so he must not have talked. Maybe after a year or two he'll talk and get a reduced sentence.

On a side note, anyone see Lutz's statement at the sentencing. I saw a video on kansas.com but here's another site with it - https://breakingone.com/news/league-...c901952b8.html Looks like Bob rolled out of bed and headed to court and read a rambling statement and his son Jeff filmed him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X