General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I was not pleased when he got out soon after the incident. He needs to pay the consequences. The innocent grandmother deserved much better. Many more citizens could have been harmed.
    From the Eagle this morning. https://www.kansas.com/news/local/cr...290835609.html
    Last edited by JJClamdip; August 8, 2024, 04:46 AM.
    An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WBJ - Augusta-based Midwest Hemp strikes partnership with USDA-funded agrobusiness

Augusta-based tech startup Midwest Hemp Technology is now certified as a sustainable agricultural goods provider by a USDA-funded program.

The startup, which produces hemp seed food, oil, and industrial hemp products, including hurd, fines, and short strand fiber, announced a strategic partnership Monday with Grown Climate Smart, a subsidiary of Wisconsin-based agriculture business and exporter The DeLong Co. that certifies and supports companies with climate-friendly agriculture products.

Grown Climate Smart is a grantee of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Partnerships for Climate-Smart Commodity, a $3.1 billion initiative investing in sustainable production agriculture by small and underserved farmers.

"As more buyers in the hemp market look for sustainable and environmentally friendly products, our partnership with Grown Climate Smart perfectly fits these demands," Midwest Hemp CEO Sarah Stephens said in a news release. "This partnership is a significant step forward in our mission to showcase the environmental benefits of hemp."

The partnership will allow Midwest Hemp Tech to use Grown Climate Smart's sustainable commodity certification on its products and explore funding opportunities across Midwest and national markets.
        This should only help the business continue to improve and grow.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Boeing CEO Kelly Ortberg will visit Wichita, Spirit AeroSystems on Monday

On Monday, Boeing CEO Kelly Ortberg will tour Spirit AeroSystems, the aerospace giant's biggest supplier, the office of Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) confirmed to the Wichita Business Journal. Thursday marked Ortberg's first day on the job, as he replaced Dave Calhoun.

Ortberg will be joined in Wichita by Steven Mollenkopf, Boeing's chairman of the board, Moran's office said.

A Boeing spokesperson also confirmed to the WBJ that Ortberg planned to visit Spirit in Wichita, as well as employees at other Boeing factories next week.

On Day 1 as CEO, Ortberg is meeting with employees on the production line at Boeing's 737 Max factory in Renton, Wash.

Monday's high-profile Wichita visit, before the former Rockwell Collins CEO has even been on the job a week, could be seen as pointing to how high Ortberg is prioritizing the Boeing-Spirit relationship in the immediate term — even as Boeing's $8.3 billion agreement to buy the Wichita manufacturer isn't expected to close until mid-2025.
          The visit will also involve a trip to WSU Tech and the National Center for Aviation Training. Mayor Wu and other state officials will be involved in welcoming the Boeing leadership.

Still a lot of questions surrounding their defense and space contracts
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Lange Real Estate announces groundbreaking for Park City downtown project

Park City's downtown development has a groundbreaking date.

Lange Real Estate announced Thursday that Park Centre, a 48-acre development described as the suburb's downtown area near the southeast corner of 61st Street North and Hydraulic Avenue, will break ground at 9 a.m. Friday.

“Park Centre is a significant step in the continued growth of Park City,” Lange Real Estate president Rachel Lange-Mills said in a news release. “This groundbreaking ceremony marks the start of a project that will enhance the community, offering residents and visitors a vibrant downtown area where they can live, shop, and gather together."

In partnership with Park City, the project will construct a 416-unit apartment complex, an 89-unit townhome complex and an 89,000 square-foot space for a senior living center. In addition, the project will have 96,000 square feet of commercial space.
            I'm really excited for Park City and the projects they have planned.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Kansas Oil and Gas is not in a good place right now.

WBJ - Kansas independent oil, gas producers weigh uncertain future

Attendees at next week's Kansas Independent Oil & Gas Association convention in Wichita will have plenty to talk about during a time when the industry has stabilized post-Covid, but production is low and indicators of greater long-term prosperity are unclear.

Data from the Independent Oil & Gas Service show 29 rigs running in Kansas during July, half the number at the same point in 2022.

"Costs are very high and a lot of companies are uncertain about the future of oil and gas prices," said Dana Wreath, executive vice president at Wichita's Berexco oil and gas company and chair of the KIOGA board of directors. "So they're just not really sure where we're headed, and there's a lot of uncertainty from both the economic and regulatory point of view."

Kansas production is on track for roughly 26 million barrels in 2024, which would be at least a 74-year low, according to the Kansas Geological Survey.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This could be less than good.

WBJ - Report: Cargill to condense its divisions, including Wichita-based protein

Cargill leadership has told employees it will streamline changes in its structure — including the protein division based in Wichita, according to Reuters.

Specific effects of a consolidation from five divisions to three were not immediately clear in Wichita, where Cargill Protein North America has had a presence for more than 40 years, including a 6-year-old, $70 million headquarters in Old Town.

"Our recent performance and the market trends unfolding in front of us have proven a clear and pressing case for change," CEO Brian Sikes wrote in a Wednesday memo to staff, obtained by Reuters.

A Cargill spokesperson told Reuters the company has a plan to "evolve and strengthen its portfolio," though there were no specifics. Wichita Business Journal attempts for local comment have been unsuccessful.

The company plans to combine the Food and Bio divisions with the Protein and Salt teams, to be labeled Food. An Ag and Trading division will include Cargill Risk Management and Metals, and a third division will be called Specialized Portfolio.

The memo said Jon Nash, a former Protein president in Wichita, will lead the Food division.
                Cargill has over 1100 employees in Wichita. No word on how this will all play out and if Cargill will be leaving Wichita or, I suppose, potentially adding to it. Could they expand their current building?
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Maize is set to grow a bit more.

WBJ - Wichita developer to break ground on 40-acre Maize development

A Wichita developer is set to break ground on a housing development in Maize.

Schellenberg Development Co. will begin building Oakmont, a 40-acre residential development on the east side of 119th Street West between 37th and 45th North, directly south of Eagles Nest. The development will have 99 single-family housing lots, said residential development manager Dylan Schellenberg.

Marv Schellenberg, founder and president of Schellenberg Development, said the project is focused on entry-level housing with prices starting at $225,000.
                  It's pretty sad that entry-level housing these days starts at nearly a quarter million dollars. I own a home I was able to purchase a number of years ago. I'd like to upgrade, but housing prices are so our of whack right now that I can't afford to buy anything that doesn't need a lot of work done. I joke that I need to get married so I would have access to a second income in able to afford a home.

With that said, the area needs homes and there will be people that can afford them. I doubt many will be entering the home owners market for the first time.

I need to reach out to my contacts about the housing development being planned in my hometown. Those are supposed to be affordable but not cheap and I can't remember if I heard an expected starting price for them or not. I do know about a year ago or so I read something from a developer that due to the cost of materials and labor, it's nearly impossible to construct a new home for under $200K unless you're doing the bare minimum. Even then, I believe the developer said you'd still be looking at $180K or so.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another “stunt rider” this one going to jail.

Poor kid, he put on weight, f**k him, the article doesn’t mention that he was arrested again while out on bail for the same stunt riding behavior. You just can’t fix stupid.
                    An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Disgusting behavior. He absolutely knew he hit a person and then fled the scene anyway.
                      Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                        Another “stunt rider” this one going to jail.

Poor kid, he put on weight, f**k him, the article doesn’t mention that he was arrested again while out on bail for the same stunt riding behavior. You just can’t fix stupid.
                        15 years for cutting down a statue to melt; but only 2 1/2 years for being a public nuisance, evading police and ultimately killing someone in a hit and run.

What the heck is wrong with our judges and district attorney's office?
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

15 years for cutting down a statue to melt; but only 2 1/2 years for being a public nuisance, evading police and ultimately killing someone in a hit and run.

Well he did turn himself in, cried at the sentencing and she was on drugs, from a sketchy motel in a bad area of town.

So I guess that means something.

Comment

• I have a feeling the 15 year sentence was part of a deal initially. Probably along the lines of here's what you'll get unless you tell us the names of the other people with you that night. I don't think anyone else was convicted, so he must not have talked. Maybe after a year or two he'll talk and get a reduced sentence.

On a side note, anyone see Lutz's statement at the sentencing. I saw a video on kansas.com but here's another site with it - https://breakingone.com/news/league-...c901952b8.html Looks like Bob rolled out of bed and headed to court and read a rambling statement and his son Jeff filmed him.
                            Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              Maize is set to grow a bit more.

WBJ - Wichita developer to break ground on 40-acre Maize development

It's pretty sad that entry-level housing these days starts at nearly a quarter million dollars. I own a home I was able to purchase a number of years ago. I'd like to upgrade, but housing prices are so our of whack right now that I can't afford to buy anything that doesn't need a lot of work done. I joke that I need to get married so I would have access to a second income in able to afford a home.

With that said, the area needs homes and there will be people that can afford them. I doubt many will be entering the home owners market for the first time.

I need to reach out to my contacts about the housing development being planned in my hometown. Those are supposed to be affordable but not cheap and I can't remember if I heard an expected starting price for them or not. I do know about a year ago or so I read something from a developer that due to the cost of materials and labor, it's nearly impossible to construct a new home for under $200K unless you're doing the bare minimum. Even then, I believe the developer said you'd still be looking at $180K or so.

If it's like other new developments popping up around the outskirts of Wichita, it's a bunch of duplexes. There's a development just south of there called Fox Creek - https://icttownhomes.com/fox-creek (one of them for sale - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...51713026_zpid/) - and your "house" is half of a duplex and most are thin with the garage in the front, no side lawn, and very small backyard. Goddard has a bunch of them now too, as well as Valley Center and Bel Aire. Some of the developments are rentals and some where you have to buy. Hopefully anyone thinking of buying one of those duplexes maybe rents in one first to see if they like sharing a building with a neighbor and having very little outside space.
                              Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Lots of money, his father is a M.D., https://www.statcareks.com/meet-the-providers, I bet he is real proud of the f*****g moron he raised.

Comment

Working...
                                X