No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We finally know when the Orpheum will close its doors for renovations.

Eagle - Complete Orpheum restoration will start in June, will shutter historic theatre for a year

Wichita’s 102-year-old Orpheum Theatre will close starting in June of 2025 so that crews can start on a long-awaited, complete restoration of the aging but beloved downtown venue.

On Wednesday morning, a crowd of Orpheum supporters, staff, volunteers and Wichita dignitaries gathered in the theater at 200 N. Broadway for an announcement about the restoration plans delivered by the theater’s executive director, Stacee Olden.

Standing in front of the theater’s original, hand-painted fire curtain, which before this year hadn’t been lowered since 1990, Olden told those gathered that, as part of its Second Century Campaign, the Orpheum managed to raise $6.9 million of a $9.5 million goal consultants say will be needed to restore the theater to its original glory.

The theater will work to raise the remaining $2.6 million by June and then will close the theater to start on the first phase, which will include restoring all the interior walls, ceiling and lighting, installing new rigging and a fire curtain on the main stage, updating audio and lighting systems, restoring the proscenium arch over the stage, replacing electrical systems and putting in a new HVAC system to heat and cool the balcony and stage areas.
    All 650 seats will be replaced as well.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• KSN - Wichita to host NJCAA soccer championships through 2027

The National Junior College Athletic Association announced Wichita will host the men’s and women’s soccer championships through 2027.

Wichita was already selected to host the 2024 championships, but the NJCAA decided to allow the city to host the championships in 2025, 2026 and 2027 as well.

The 2025 tournament will be held from Nov. 16 to 22 at SCHEEL’s Stryker Sports Complex, near 37th and Greenwich in Wichita.

The 2026 and 2027 Division I Men’s Soccer Championships will take place November 15-21, 2026, and November 14-20, 2027.

“Visit Wichita was honored to host the DII men’s and women’s soccer championships in 2021 and the 2023 and 2024 Division I Men’s & Women’s Soccer Championships. Those events not only gave us an opportunity to showcase Sedgwick County and Wichita as a tremendous sports city, but also gave us the chance to show our ability to successfully host national sporting events of this caliber,” Josh Howell, vice president of sports development at Visit Wichita, said in a news release.

The 2024 NJCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Soccer Championships will be held at the SCHEELS Stryker Sports Complex in Wichita from Nov. 17-23.
      Events like these are always a good thing to be hosting. A lot of visitors to town and those businesses in northeast Wichita will greatly benefit.

Also, we need to go ahead and announce women's soccer at WSU.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Whoa, sweet!
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Wichita based Thrive Restaurant Group (Carlos O'Kelly's, HomeGrown) has acquired Modern Market Eatery out of Colorado (I think) after being a franchisee. It's been a while, but I believe Modern Market is in a similar vein to HomeGrown.

For reference, Thrive is the 2nd largest franchisee in the country for Applebee's and recently entered into an agreement for 30 Qdoba's in the Carolina's over the next few years. They also own Bakesale Treat Parlor which I believe is in Bradley Fair.

Looks like they want to start franchising HomeGrown and have added one of the execs from Modern Eatery to lead that quest.

Thrive is looking to build a new Wichita HQ in east Wichita and hope to have construction started within the next year. They also have offices in Denver (Modern Eatery) and somewhere in the Carolina's.

One would hope that with their long connections to the area that they'll be here forever. The more they grow the more need they'll have for local employees over time. I think they employ around 300 in Wichita.

I've still never eaten at HomeGrown. Every time I've looked into it there was a three hour wait, but I've heard good things.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Here's a unique local business I wasn't aware of. I'd heard about them (kind of) when they were at Towne West but heard they closed up shop. Didn't realize they relocated.

Wichita by EB - What to expect at High Voltage Garage

When I asked readers for suggestions on local businesses to cover, one place people kept mentioning was High Voltage Garage.

It’s a business I’ve been meaning to visit. They are also one of the places that moved out of Towne West Square earlier this year. You can now find them at 1199 E. Central Avenue, just north of downtown/Old Town.

So what is High Voltage Garage?

If you’re like me and totally unfamiliar with them, they are
            Wichita’s only indoor RC venue. Everything you need for an RC car can be purchased, built, or even rented.​
            Looks like this place has all of your RC needs. They have three tracks, one carpeted, one for drifting, and one for off road fun.

Looks like they have very reasonable prices for rentals or the track fees if you bring your own. I'm not sure how big the RC community is as the only RC I have is the occasional soda.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              Wichita based Thrive Restaurant Group (Carlos O'Kelly's, HomeGrown) has acquired Modern Market Eatery out of Colorado (I think) after being a franchisee. It's been a while, but I believe Modern Market is in a similar vein to HomeGrown.

For reference, Thrive is the 2nd largest franchisee in the country for Applebee's and recently entered into an agreement for 30 Qdoba's in the Carolina's over the next few years. They also own Bakesale Treat Parlor which I believe is in Bradley Fair.

Looks like they want to start franchising HomeGrown and have added one of the execs from Modern Eatery to lead that quest.

Thrive is looking to build a new Wichita HQ in east Wichita and hope to have construction started within the next year. They also have offices in Denver (Modern Eatery) and somewhere in the Carolina's.

One would hope that with their long connections to the area that they'll be here forever. The more they grow the more need they'll have for local employees over time. I think they employ around 300 in Wichita.

I've still never eaten at HomeGrown. Every time I've looked into it there was a three hour wait, but I've heard good things.
              Not sure about the 3 hour wait, but they are busy. And it's fine. They do everything right, but it's just breakfast folks. I mean, if you want to drop $20 PP for a decent breakfast, get after it. It's so easy to have exactly what you want, and with a tad bit of effort, just as good, at home and at 1/7th the cost or less. Breakfast is just so easy.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Not sure about the 3 hour wait, but they are busy. And it's fine. They do everything right, but it's just breakfast folks. I mean, if you want to drop $20 PP for a decent breakfast, get after it. It's so easy to have exactly what you want, and with a tad bit of effort, just as good, at home and at 1/7th the cost or less. Breakfast is just so easy.
                Personally I don't like to eat out for breakfast for the reasons you stated. That said, I don't believe Homegrown is more expensive than anywhere else in town.
                Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• I don't eat out for breakfast often, but I do have a friend that a couple of times a year we like to meet for a breakfast and catch up. We've been to Doo Dah a few times and a place in College Hill that is escaping me at the moment.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Here's something that I did not expect to come across.

Topeka Capital-Journal - What would Wichita airport changes mean for Kansas as it eyes global market?

As economic development staff continue to pursue international business opportunities, Kansas officials are looking into a potential customs expansion at the state's largest airport.

The Kansas Department of Commerce has an open request for proposals for a feasibility study for a U.S. Customs and Border Protection port expansion at Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport in Wichita.

A Commerce Department spokesperson denied an interview request, saying it would be "premature."

"The feasibility study is basically an information-gathering study to determine if there is enough demand, both in passengers and cargo, to support a larger Customs facility in Wichita," said Valerie Wise, the air service and marketing manager for the Wichita Airport Authority. "The current facility is limited to clearing 15 passenger aircraft and is the only Customs facility in the State of Kansas. ICT Customs is a port of entry which means it provides customs and immigration services for incoming flights.

"The ability to bring international cargo directly into Kansas before stopping to clear at a Customs Port could be beneficial to our manufacturers and could spur economic growth. Nonstop flights to certain destinations in Mexico could also be supported."
                    So, it's early, but it seems like they're working to increase the amount of cargo we can take in from international destinations while also potentially opening up some passenger flights, most likely to Mexico but perhaps to Canada as well. Like how they viewed domestic expansion of nonstop flights and what it would do for local businesses; and international opportunity would do much the same. The fact that Mexico and Canada are our top two foreign markets already for business could open up more avenues.

Who knows what the study will find, but it's something to keep an eye on.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• The bridge at 77th north of Park City is closing Monday and will be closed until November for repairs.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Didn't know that this show existed, but they'll be at WSU.

KSN - Amazon Prime series filming at Wichita State

A national TV show that streams on Amazon Prime will be filming at Wichita State University.

The College Tour” will be filming on the WSU campus from Sept. 9 through 17. The show travels to colleges and universities across the world, interviewing currently enrolled students to get a firsthand account of the school, including campus life, sports, housing, academics, career preparation, and everything related to higher education at the school.

Alex Boylan, who won season two of the reality TV show Amazing Race, is the show’s executive producer and host. This will mark the 13th season of the show, which has over 160 episodes.

This will mark the first time the show has filmed a college or university in Kansas.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - AGT finalist, comedian Preacher Lawson coming to Wichita

Preacher Lawson is coming to Wichita.

The comedian competed in the 2017 season of America’s Got Talent, making it to the final 10. He would return to compete in America’s Got Talent: The Champions in 2019, placing 5th overall.

In addition to other television appearances, Lawson has an active YouTube channel with over 28 million views.

Lawson will be in Wichita at Temple Live at the Scottish Rite on Friday, Oct. 4. The show starts at 8 p.m.
                          I've only seen short clips of Preacher, but he seems to be a pretty funny cat.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This is going to impact some people.

KSN - Ramp at busy Wichita interchange to close on Tuesday

The Kansas Department of Transportation says the ramp from northbound Interstate 235 to westbound Kansas Highway 96 in northwest Wichita will close on Tuesday.

KDOT says the closure is necessary to repair the concrete surface, paint bearings, patch deck, and joints.

The ramp is estimated to reopen in early October. The map above outlines the project and detour.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Just saw that the phenomenal Lindsey Stirling is playing Century II on the evening of December 2. Tickets are on sale now.

She is spectacular.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Ascension Via Christi's St Francis hospital expands part of emergency department

Ascension Via Christi continues to upgrade the emergency departments in its Wichita hospital footprint.

The organization announced that on Tuesday it is starting construction on an expansion and redesign of the emergency waiting room at its St. Francis hospital on the northern edge of downtown.

With a targeted completion of early 2025, the project will more than double the size of the waiting room area — to nearly 2,200 square feet — and boost seating capacity‬ by over 50%. Ascension Via Christi said the effort will improve the space’s functionality for the hospital's emergency care team.‬

"This project will enhance our patients’ comfort and well-being when they visit the ED while also providing‬ our emergency team with a more optimal space to deliver high-quality care," said Roddex Barlow,‬ president of Via Christi St. Francis, in a news release.‬

An Ascension Via Christi spokesperson confirmed the project cost is approximately $1.2 million. Eby Construction is the general contractor, and Alloy Architecture is the architect.

During construction, the hospital says signs will guide patients and visitors arriving by private vehicle to a‬ temporary entrance, while EMS vehicles will not be impacted. There will be no interruption in services, the organization added.
                                Ascension previously announced a $22M project to add 21,000 square feet to the emergency department at St. Joseph's.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X