No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBJ - Via Christi St. Joseph to break ground on emergency department expansion

Ascension Via Christi St. Joseph has set a date and a budget to expand its footprint.

The hospital at 3600 E. Harry St. will break ground Wednesday on a capital improvement project for its emergency department. The project is expected to cost $22 million, which will be funded through the state's American Rescue Plan Act funds approved by Gov. Laura Kelly and the Kansas Legislature.

"We have waited for this day for a long time," St. Joseph president Claudio Ferraro said in a news release. "This‬ project will bring major improvements and enhancements to our existing emergency department,‬‭ increasing safety, security and space for everyone who comes through our doors."

The improvement project will add 21,000 square feet to the emergency department, totaling 36,000 square feet. It will also add 20 beds to the facility's existing 29 beds and an 11-bed psychiatric observation area for behavioral health patients. The project will also expand waiting areas in the facility.
    Sounds like a much needed upgrade for St. Joe.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Interesting development in real estate

Will Harmon, industry vets launch Wichita affiliate of international commercial real estate firm

A California-based commercial real estate brokerage firm — with a growing presence in the U.S. and internationally — has arrived in Wichita with some familiar local names at the helm.

Sperry recently announced the launch of Ad Astra Commercial, which is the company's first Kansas affiliate.
      Barnard said Ad Astra is looking to bring large national tenants across sectors, from office to industrial and more, into Wichita. The firm works to leverage the Sperry network to be in tune with trends across the country.

He said Ad Astra can aid property owners with the development process when they have a piece of land they believe has potential, but don't know what to do with it.

"We can help people see it all the way through," Barnard said.
      While all four Ad Astra team members said they see opportunities to bring regional and national investors and companies into Wichita, their goal is to help local clients just as much.

Kellner-Ledesma, who has worked with Harmon at ERA, Keller Williams Hometown Partners and Keller Williams Signature Partners, said she believes the firm will collaborate well with those in local real estate.

"That's a huge advantage," she said.
      Sometimes there can be positives about bringing in larger, national types that maybe see a vision about what to do with a property that is lost on locals. And lets be honest, Wichita hasn't been seen as an ambitious, forward thinking area when it comes to development. Although, there has been some improvement on some of that in recent years. If Ad Astra can help bring in people that believe they can profit and add something to the area than great. If that's locally, regionally, or nationally, I don't really care.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More news in the future Bio-Med District

WBJ - Ascension Via Christi sells properties near St. Francis within biomed corridor

There's more real estate movement in the city's core within an envisioned biomedical corridor spurred by the $300-million Wichita Biomedical Campus.

It's coming from Ascension Via Christi, which has been described as the corridor's "northern anchor," and could mean dirt moving by year's end on more high-impact downtown development.

According to county records, Ascension recently sold a series of parcels just south of its St. Francis hospital to local developers, including Philip Bundy. The land is located north of Pine Street and between St. Francis Avenue and Santa Fe Avenue.
        The land purchased is nearly the entire block between St. Francis and Santa Fe. It appears to be a parking lot for now.

Ascension Kansas exec Kevin Strecker seemed to indicate that construction should begin in the next three months.

It will be interesting to see what it ends up being.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I knew it wouldn't be quick, but for as dangerous as K254 is, the State is in no hurry to actually do anything about it. As Wichita and surrounding areas continue to grow, it's only going to get worse. Just read where they project completion around 25 years from now. That's a little discouraging.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I just love that we have a growing and supportive entrepreneurial network in Wichita and that NXTUS exists.

WBJ - NXTSTAGE Enterprise Engagement Series kicks off with insight for entrepreneurs

Startups in and around Wichita are poised to get an inside look at how enterprises do business — and who they want to do it with.

NXTUS initiated Wednesday its third annual NXTSTAGE Enterprise Engagement Series.

The series will have 21 Kansas startups learn from local and national enterprise businesses — including Koch Supply Services, Lange Real Estate, Spirit AeroSystems and Hutton Development — on how to do business with them through weekly workshops and information sessions. The program will run through Sept. 30, when startups will pitch to enterprises at the Start-Up Enterprise Summit at the Cargill Protein headquarters, the kickoff event for Wichita Startup Week.

Mary Beth Jarvis, founder of NXTUS, said the program provides small and early stage startups with a unique "playbook" in which enterprises provide their basic preferences and mention their experiences with previously contracted small businesses — among other things.

She added in her organization's research of engagement programs, a free-flowing and transparent conversation between enterprises and startups was missing around the country.

"We tried to Frankenstein it together for something that's worked in another market ... but all we could find was like networking or sponsoring new funding (events), which is great, ... but we didn't see how to grow together," she said. "They (enterprises) don't roll up their sleeves like they do here. They've never been asked to spell it out, to provide a roadmap. So that's what we've developed."
            This appears to be another fantastic event put on by NXTUS
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              I knew it wouldn't be quick, but for as dangerous as K254 is, the State is in no hurry to actually do anything about it. As Wichita and surrounding areas continue to grow, it's only going to get worse. Just read where they project completion around 25 years from now. That's a little discouraging.
              I’m sure short sighted on my behalf, but this is an example of the competition between NE Ks and SC Ks.
              With the potential stadiums moving to WYCO, we’ll be on the continued short end.
              We need some strong leadership in the statehouse that walk softly and carry a loud voice!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                More news in the future Bio-Med District

WBJ - Ascension Via Christi sells properties near St. Francis within biomed corridor

The land purchased is nearly the entire block between St. Francis and Santa Fe. It appears to be a parking lot for now.

Ascension Kansas exec Kevin Strecker seemed to indicate that construction should begin in the next three months.

It will be interesting to see what it ends up being.
                It’d be kinda cool to see a trolley or cable car go between the new biomed building and Ascension via Christi (why’d they change the name from St Francis anyway) on a regular basis throughout the day.
                Not sure if traffic between the 2 facilities will financially justify the need but I assume we’ll see quite a few students and others going back and forth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

I’m sure short sighted on my behalf, but this is an example of the competition between NE Ks and SC Ks.
                  With the potential stadiums moving to WYCO, we’ll be on the continued short end.
                  We need some strong leadership in the statehouse that walk softly and carry a loud voice!
                  I hadn't even thought about that. I'd hoped, I guess, with 254 being one of the worst stretches of road for traffic accidents/fatalities in the state that it would get a bit more priority.

I know there are a set amount of funds and such, but with the future addition of the Integra site and the growth that will help bring, along with continued development in NE Wichita, Andover, and hopefully Benton, there's going to end up being even more traffic along there.

Benton has already secured a planned development of around 100 houses (maybe more) to begin in the next year or so, which we hope will help spur some other development in the area. The city is currently struggling to get out of this tweener stage where we need more rooftops to bring in business but need more business to secure more rooftops. There's a lot of land in and around town just waiting for activity and some land owners who I believe are very open to selling for such developments. And Stearman seems as popular as ever and brings in a lot of people and money from outside the immediate area.

Word is Andover may be getting yet another small grocery store on the north side of town where the old Butler Andover facility was recently torn down and put up for sale. They're also building more houses on the north side.

There's a Grass Creek development a few miles north of Andover that has started to see more action this past year. Land isn't cheap (I looked) but it's a nice area a couple miles southwest of Benton.

I'm not sure what, if anything, Towanda has planned. I think I've heard that they've grown to their south a bit, but I generally only hit up the high school or Gambino's so don't see much.

El Dorado continues to try and grow their industrial presence and has a lot of land to offer those who are willing to set up shop there. They can probably do more to bring someone in as they have a pretty good location with access to K254, K196, K177, I35, US54, and US77. I'm not sure if they're lacking leadership over there or if there are other things that are holding them back in that area.

As per usual when talking about my hometown and county I get a little carried away.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                    It’d be kinda cool to see a trolley or cable car go between the new biomed building and Ascension via Christi (why’d they change the name from St Francis anyway) on a regular basis throughout the day.
                    Not sure if traffic between the 2 facilities will financially justify the need but I assume we’ll see quite a few students and others going back and forth.
                    I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see something along those lines down there eventually. There will be a benefit to make the connections in that corridor easier and more efficient.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• If anyone is interested, there's a new podcast in town that could be interesting to follow as they find their groove. It was around 25 minutes.

Wichita by EB - 07/31/24 - The Wichita Dinner Table

On the inaugural episode of the Wichita Dinner Table, we launch the newest online talk show.

Joined by Emmy award-winning Annette Lawless, Troy Trussell with Trussell Media Studios and Live Local, and the Kansas Gastronomist. We discuss upcoming events, what’s going on in the city and just general chatter about what’s good in Wichita.

On the July 31st episode, we discuss new openings in town, school around the corner, and positive things we are seeing in town.
                      This is a potential feel good podcast with some respected members of the community that will showcase some of the great things in the area. I think we're all familiar with Eddy (EB) and if you follow him on socials you're probably familiar with TKG as well.

They dealt with some audio issues but I like where this could be headed and it's hosted by people who truly do love the 316.

Video to the podcast is in the link.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A nice improvement on the way for Ike

MSN - Changes coming to concessions at Eisenhower National Airport

Wichita’s Eisenhower National Airport says you will soon see changes to the pre-security Aviator’s Café concession stand.

The stand, which is in the center of the airport vestibule between ticketing and baggage claim, offers baked goods, grab-and-go items, fresh, made-to-order sandwiches, wraps and salads, and a full-service bar for travelers before they head through the security checkpoints towards their gates. It is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

A portion of the space is now undergoing renovation to be converted into a mini-convenience market called Grab & Go. Grab and Go will allow travelers, guests, and airport staff to purchase food, drinks, and other items 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
                        Nothing major, but something that should improve the overall quality of experience for those coming and going from ICT.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• For those keeping track, Towne West made it 17 days with power before being disconnected again. This is the 7th time this year Evergy has had to disconnect them.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More Eisenhower news

KSN - Eisenhower National sets June passenger record

Wichita’s Eisenhower National Airport has set a new record for travel.

The airport says 175,880 passengers flew in and out of Wichita in June. That number beats the previous record of 169,541 set in June 2019, before the pandemic.

According to airport figures, total passengers are up 8.04% for the year. The airport says the increase can be attributed to American Airlines’ new service to Washington, DC and Phoenix.

Additionally, the airline has increased seating for flights to Dallas-Fort Worth Airport by 8.6% and to Chicago by 87.4%. United has also increased flights to Houston by 35%.
                            One would think if these numbers continue to look positive it will only help ICT land more direct flights in the future. I know they're looking at getting another in the northeast and I believe another out west as well.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• And on water...

City of Wichita - Wichita Escalating to Stage 2 Drought Response

City Manager Robert Layton declared that Wichita is moving to Stage 2 of the City’s drought response plan. In July, levels at Cheney Reservoir dropped below the original Stage 2 trigger of a 12-month average of Cheney conservation pool water levels below 69% full.

Staff determined that the most prudent action at this time is to enact Stage 2 restrictions for two months to get the City past prime irrigation season with a goal to reduce community-wide usage by 10%. The City will monitor levels and will extend Stage 2 into the fall months if necessary.

Beginning August 5, all City of Wichita water customers, including residential users, businesses, wholesale and commercial customers, will be limited to watering their lawns to once a week, based on their location.

Outdoor water usage is limited to one day per week, determined by location:
                              1. Monday - Northwest of Central and Broadway intersection
                              2. Tuesday - Northeast of Central and Broadway intersection
                              3. Wednesday - Southwest of Central and Broadway intersection
                              4. Thursday - Southeast of Central and Broadway intersection
                              5. Friday, Saturday, Sunday - no outdoor water usage allowed

Some exemptions for businesses dependent on water use for their operations such as nurseries, hospitals, car washes and more are applicable. Wichita Public Works staff will monitor accounts of excessive water users and send a warning letter should water use continue to be high throughout Stage 2 restrictions. If high water use continues after they receive a letter, water users will be levied a $50 penalty the next time they exceed their average winter consumption, and a $100 penalty for each subsequent violation. Consumers with water usage or drought concerns may report them on the Wichita Report app or by contacting the call center at (316) 942-4482.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I've been a bit busy the past few days so there may end up being more posts than usual today.

WBJ - Everhome Suites, an emerging extended-stay hotel brand, plans to open first Wichita location next year

A new extended-stay hotel brand is coming to northeast Wichita.

Everhome Suites, which is a part of international hospitality giant Choice Hotels International (NYSE: CHH), is advancing plans to build a four-story hotel near 37th and Rock Road, according to city-county records.

The company confirmed to the WBJ that it expects the 123-room hotel to open in November 2025.
                                Looks like this will be a little north of the QT on Thorn Dr. I believe this is west of the building that used to be home to Via Christi.

Choice Hotels bills Everhome as a "midscale" extended-stay brand with a focus on newly constructed buildings.

Rooms have fully-equipped kitchens, spa-style bathrooms and what the company calls "me" spaces — with movable workstations, additional storage and full-size closets.

On-site amenities include a 24/7 fitness center, self-service marketplace and guest laundry facilities.

The Wichita Everhome Suites will be the company's first in Kansas.
                                I know a year or two ago there was talk of trying to develop that stretch of land between QT, Central Plains Steel, and the Thorn Building (Via Christi). To the best of my knowledge, this will be the first new construction in that particular area and I'm not sure if they've filled any of the space that Via Christi departed in the Thorn Building. Hopefully more construction will come in the near future in that area.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X