No announcement yet.

NFL 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who still want to watch football, the USFL will kick off a 10 week season starting tonight (April 16). There are 8 teams (notable head coaches include Jeff Fisher and Todd Haley) and all the games throughout the regular season will be played in Birmingham, AL (https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2...ight-work.html). There's a game tonight (simulcast on Fox and NBC) and 3 on Sunday throughout the day. The full schedule can be found at https://www.theusfl.com/schedule After the regular season is over, the top 4 teams will play in playoff format in Canton, OH, with the championship on July 3.

Some new stuff compared to the NFL will include 2 forward passes behind the line of scrimmage allowed, a 3rd PAT option to go for 3 points after a TD by trying to score on a scrimmage play from the 10 yard line, choosing between an onside kick or running a play with the situation being a 4th and 12, and overtime will be a shootout where each team runs a play from the 2 yard line and try to score and they alternate until each team has done it 3 times and then a sudden death if still tied. There will also be some new tech stuff like some receivers wearing helmet cams, more players mic'd up, and computer chips in the football to make marking the football more accurate.

A list of new stuff can be found at https://www.theusfl.com/the-usfl/usf...-and-much-more and https://www.foxsports.com/stories/us...-and-much-more and a basic overview of USFL can be found at https://www.foxsports.com/stories/us...u-need-to-know
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Tom Brady will join Fox Sports once he retires - https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/1524010608680521728 - according to reports it's a 10 year, $375 million contract (Romo makes $18 million a year and ESPN is paying a combined $33 million for Aikman and Buck)

Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; May 10, 2022, 02:35 PM.
      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• It'll be another reason I'm thankful that the Chiefs aren't on Fox all that much.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• He's not glib, he's not funny, he's not quick.........wtf?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            He's not glib, he's not funny, he's not quick.........wtf?
            Hell probably just drink beer and talk about how terrible everybody is…. Which I’m fine with.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Clay Travis @ClayTravis

Washington has fined Jack Del Rio $100k for sharing his political opinions. To my knowledge, this has never happened before in sports. This is outrageous, especially since he’s right. The BLM riots were more deadly, violent & destructive than January 6th.

Comment

• The NFL is holding its first talent scouting camp in Africa this week and the plan is for the trip to Ghana to be the start of a sustained effort to build a foothold on the continent.

Comment

• Interesting. There's no doubt that there are a lot of talented athletes in Africa and we've seen that manifest in some ways within the NFL and NBA mostly. Tapping into resources over there could be a benefit to not only the NFL, but for some of the African communities as they continue to try and develop. I know Mutombo and others have spent a lot of time and money back home to provide more in terms of education or resources.

I would guess that hosting an actual game would be a ways off. I'll admit that I probably know less about the current state of Africa and African nations than any other continent, but I believe most nations are still way behind in development as a whole and there are still a lot of dictatorships or areas of lawlessness that aren't really conducive to hosting an NFL game or providing the necessary safety. I do know there are some nations that are much better off for various reasons and South Africa might be the closest right now to being able to pull something like that off. But I'd have to do a deeper dive into certain countries to have a better understanding of all of that.

But you have to start somewhere.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This situation is really not humorous (because of the seriousness of the accusations and his predatory impact on others), but in a way it is humorous. The Browns paid Watson 230 Million dollars (all of it guaranteed), and he probably won't be allowed to play this year, and maybe longer than that), and he will use a big amount of the guaranteed money to pay off his alleged sexual predatory laisons (24 total) from the past. And the Browns still don't have a QB for this year and maybe longer. The Browns signed a QB to win a Super Bowl, and instead, they are getting to pay off his bills. They are getting exactly what they deserve imo.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/...ar-suspension/

Regardless of what ultimately happens with Watson this season, the Browns’ decision to invest the future of their organization in him feels dumber and dumber with each passing week.

Not only did the Browns send three first-round picks (plus a third-rounder and a fourth-rounder) to the Texans for exchange for Watson, and not only did they alienate former #1 overall pick Baker Mayfield, but they almost inexplicably signed Watson to a FULLY GUARANTEED 5-year, $230 million deal.

Even for an organization as infamously dysfunctional as the Cleveland Browns, if the NFL gets their way with the Deshaun Watson suspension, the team’s decision to acquire the QB might go down as one of the worst trades/contracts in the history of the league.
                    Last edited by Shockm; June 27, 2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• I believe the Browns structured Watson’s contract so
                      that his 2022 salary is only $1 mil. That shows the utter disdain for the charges leveled against him. They knew he was likely to be suspended for the 2022-23 season and just didnt care and even took care to lessen the financial impact on him. Slimy ownership does slimy things.
                      Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                        I believe the Browns structured Watson’s contract so
                        that his 2022 salary is only $1 mil. That shows the utter disdain for the charges leveled against him. They knew he was likely to be suspended for the 2022-23 season and just didnt care and even took care to lessen the financial impact on him. Slimy ownership does slimy things.
                        Explain it to me. That makes no sense. Why does it matter? $230 Million is going to be paid to Watson, and ALL is guaranteed. The women will just settle with a pay day wait. He had no way out and neither do the Browns.

Comment

• If he is suspended by the NFL, the portion of his pay that would have been earned during the suspension is void. Thats why it matters. Voiding 1 mil instead of a big chunk. The Browns insulated his contract against a suspension. He still got his signing bonus of course. That was almost 45 mil. His salary in the 2023-24 season is 46 mil.
                          Go Shocks!

Comment

• You didn’t explain how that subtracts from his contract. The total contract is still 230 Million Dollars Fully Guaranteed. His suspension doesn’t negate that amount, suspension or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                              You didn’t explain how that subtracts from his contract. The total contract is still 230 Million Dollars Fully Guaranteed. His suspension doesn’t negate that amount, suspension or not.
                              It does negate the portion that would be paid during the suspension. If he is suspended for 2022-23 he will forfeit a bit over 1 mil in salary. So his 230 mil guaranteed then becomes 229 mil guaranteed. He does not get paid while he is suspended and forfeits that portion of his salary.
                              Go Shocks!

Comment

• The Browns have traded Baker to the Panthers
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X