2021 College/HS Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
    Well now he doesn’t have to coach a middle-of-the-pack SEC team.
    I've heard and read a lot of comments like this directed at both OU and Texas since they announced they were joining the SEC.

OU may be a "mid pack" SEC team, time will tell. But it will defy history. Certainly, as long as Saban is at Bama OU isn't going to win 6 straight SEC titles or 14 of 20 (or whatever it's been). However, OU has a ridiculous winning % against current SEC teams the last 20 years. And that's without ever playing .....hmm.....let's see......Vanderbilt, Miss State, Ole Miss (who just won 10 games in a season for the first time EVER) South Carolina or Kentucky.

There will be 16 SEC teams when they join. (Hiring a new coach aside, and that admittedly is a big deal) OU is better (not maybe, IS) than Texas, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Mississippi State. A&M, Auburn, LSU and Florida would be in the mix and Alabama and Georgia are better than practically everyone else in football right now.

Oklahoma is 3-1 against Bama the last 20 years, and 1-1 against Saban (pretty sure about that, not positive). I think perspective is skewed when a couple of national semifinal games or title game beatings are remembered.

Caleb Williams may be from California but played high school in Washington DC.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Rumor is that Bob Stoops will coach OU for whatever remains of their season and that OU is targeting Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury. If OU gets Kingsbury that is probably a net positive out of this turnover for OU.
      I've heard Kingsbury as well, but I'm not believing it (I didn't believe Riley to LSU either but......nobody saw SC coming). I bet Big Game Bob is FURIOUS today. He handed that job to Lincoln and he certainly won't be pleased with his departure. And I bet you we'll hear about it from Bob eventually.

Comment

• Maybe they can resurrect ole “Tales From the Crypt” Bill Snyder for a few seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I've heard Kingsbury as well, but I'm not believing it (I didn't believe Riley to LSU either but......nobody saw SC coming). I bet Big Game Bob is FURIOUS today. He handed that job to Lincoln and he certainly won't be pleased with his departure. And I bet you we'll hear about it from Bob eventually.
          Teddy Lehman says (on Twitter to be clear) that OU has not targeted Kingsbury. He replied to report that they had with "No, they haven't." Teddy's pretty close to the program and is a media guy as well.

Comment

• I would imagine former AC and DC Brent Venables' name will come up at some point as a replacement. He's a heck of DC but I just never saw him wanting the top spot, or thought that was in his wheelhouse, but we shall see.

Dusty Dvoracek, another former Sooner and media guy, says in no order, Mark Stoops, Luke Fickell. Josh Huepel, Matt Campbell, Brent Venables. Seems like a good list to me.
            Last edited by WuDrWu; November 28, 2021, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• Wonder if Fickell has any interest.

Comment

• Looks like a handful of assistants have left OU as well - https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/...taffers-in-tow

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley, defensive coordinator Alex Grinch, wide receivers coach Dennis Simmons, strength coach Bennie Wylie and football operations director Clark Stroud left Will Rodgers World Airport in Oklahoma City en masse on Monday on a flight bound for Los Angeles.
                Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• They've had a lot of decommits as well. They'll be fine in the long run, but in the short-term it'll be interesting.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• 3pm Press Conference supposedly with Bobby and Joe. I've never been a particularly big fan of Joe, but loved Bob. Joe has been successful, not much doubt about that.

I wonder what Bob might say.....I cannot think he's particularly pleased with the way this unfolded, plus he's been known to speak his mind on occasion.

The word has been circulating that Venables (good relationship with Joe C) is about to be hired. I have no idea. The word was also Lincoln was going to LSU, so I expect Venables to LSU could be a thing.

Top of the hour will be must listening for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                      Looks like a handful of assistants have left OU as well - https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/...taffers-in-tow
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• That's why they leave in the middle of the night, or in Lincoln's case, before sunrise.

Reports are DeMarco Murray lit up Lincoln during his meeting with the team. Classic!

Comment

• A coach may be announced in a few minutes. Assuming if that's the case it's Brent Venables.

Done. BV is the coach at Oklahoma.

Don't think it's going to be announced at this presser, but hearing from family who are connected said it's done. I trust that report.
                          Last edited by WuDrWu; November 29, 2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Just read:

Bud
                            Barry
                            Bob
                            ***** Boy
                            Brent

Comment

• Stoops:

I'm not much on making my feelings public. Was I disappointed? Sure. I'll leave the rest between Lincoln and myself, as it should be."

Bob's ready to roll. His wife is glad he's out of the house. lol

Comment

• These guys talking about loyalty is comical.
                                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X