No announcement yet.

2021 College/HS Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went down to Tulsa this Friday to watch the WSU (Navy) football team. The local parents club for Navy did a nice job of putting together the Alumni get together Thursday and the tailgate before the game on Friday. Guest speakers were the AD and the Commandant of Midshipmen who is a Marine Colonel (Artillery). The AD talked about the loss of three AAC members and then talked about the six newest members. Pretty much what one would think about how excited he was to see them join with the expectation they would raise their games. He did make a note that all six had pledged to increase the financial side of their athletic programs which leads me to believe that this must have been a requirement for acceptance into the AAC. Putting his two cents worth in was former Secretary of the Navy John Dalton. Navy prevailed over Tulsa which always makes me happy. Tulsa inducted Drew Pearson into the Tulsa Hall of Fame which was a pretty cool deal in itself. Looking forward to the AF/Navy game next year in the Springs. Go Shocks Go Navy.

Comment

• Comment

• The Michigan/Michigan St. game was a good one.

It was kind of disappointing to see Ok. State pumping their brakes against the Chickens. I was hoping for 70 points in that matchup.

Comment

• Scores I found of interest:

#1 Georgia 31 Florida 7 (Georgias's defense continues to set it apart)
          Wisconsin 27 - #9 Iowa (A week after the Hawkeyes lost to Purdue 24-7)
          Mississippi State 31 - #12 Kentucky (Life is not easy on the road in the SEC)..
          #18 Auburn 30 - #10 Ole MIss (See above)
          #13 Wake Forest 45 - Duke 7 (WFmoves to 8-0 and quietly has moved to the top of the ACC at 5-0 although their ACC opponents have a comvined ACC record of 10-15 to this point so maybe not the toughest schedule)
          Houston 44 - #19 SMU 37 (SMU suffers their 1st loss of the year - Cincy still has to play SMU but does not play Houston this year).
          Fresno State 30 - #21 San Diego State 20
          West Virginia 38 - #22 Iowa State 31 (A stumble for Iowa State coming of a win over then #8 Oklahoma State)
          #15 Oklahoma State 55 - Kansas 3 (Okie State makes KU pay for their loss Iowa State. The Cowboys lead 38-0 at the half and took their starting quarterback at the end of the first half. OSU had a total of 31 first downs to 7 for KU. All 7 of KU's first downs came in the 2nd half.)
          #25 BYU 66 - Virginia 49 (This weeks defense optional game)

Comment

• Sunflower showdown today. It should be a good one.

We haven't seen much of Oregon this year. They'll be on prime-time tonight on ABC. It's at Washington.

Spartans at Purdue isn't a gimme either.

Comment

• I got a great line and took LSU and points. Hopefully they can cover the 45 or I have to buy my buddy a beer. I mean, he will already be at my house, drinking my beer, so in theory I won’t be losing anything. But if Coach Oeaux coaches these kids up to play a close game with Bama, the beer I get will taste so much better.

Comment

• Anyone following the ordeal of Butler County Junior College football and the Jayhawk Conference playoffs? Butler County was supposed to be #3 in the 8 team playoff with a 6-2 record, but another team turned them in last week for using an ineligible player in every game they won and they had to forfeit all their wins and the head coach was suspended for 3 games. According to reports (https://www.butlercountytimesgazette...fs/6261879001/), the ineligible player played 2 years at a 4-year college prior to playing this year for Butler County.

So Butler County dropped to 0-8 for the season and was seeded as #8 in the playoffs and played at #1 Coffeyville on Sunday afternoon. Butler County won 48-7 and will play at #4 seed Garden City next. If they win that one, they'll play in the conference championship in Wichita on November 21 at the Riverfront Stadium.
                Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                  Anyone following the ordeal of Butler County Junior College football and the Jayhawk Conference playoffs? Butler County was supposed to be #3 in the 8 team playoff with a 6-2 record, but another team turned them in last week for using an ineligible player in every game they won and they had to forfeit all their wins and the head coach was suspended for 3 games. According to reports (https://www.butlercountytimesgazette...fs/6261879001/), the ineligible player played 2 years at a 4-year college prior to playing this year for Butler County.

So Butler County dropped to 0-8 for the season and was seeded as #8 in the playoffs and played at #1 Coffeyville on Sunday afternoon. Butler County won 48-7 and will play at #4 seed Garden City next. If they win that one, they'll play in the conference championship in Wichita on November 21 at the Riverfront Stadium.
                  Sounds like Coffeyville was the one who got punished. Seems weird all around. If they violated why were they even allowed in the playoffs ?

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Sounds like Coffeyville was the one who got punished. Seems weird all around. If they violated why were they even allowed in the playoffs ?
                    Yeah I thought the same thing. Seems like they should have been dropped from the playoffs as well and Coffeyville just given a bye.
                    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Fort Scott CC just disbanded their football program last night.

As to Butler, I hadn't heard the specifics and only saw they had to forfeit their wins and the coach had been suspended. I'm guessing the Covid year didn't apply to the player in question? Could that have been an honest misunderstanding of the rules?

I'm personally glad to see BCC wasn't banished from the playoffs as if they make it to the title game, I'm going to try and get some people to go. Plus, having Butler in the game can only be good for attendance
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        Fort Scott CC just disbanded their football program last night.

As to Butler, I hadn't heard the specifics and only saw they had to forfeit their wins and the coach had been suspended. I'm guessing the Covid year didn't apply to the player in question? Could that have been an honest misunderstanding of the rules?

I'm personally glad to see BCC wasn't banished from the playoffs as if they make it to the title game, I'm going to try and get some people to go. Plus, having Butler in the game can only be good for attendance
                        Fort Scott dropping football isn't a surprise, even though they have a history of a solid football program, and years ago, were a powerful program.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that especially for the smaller more rural juco's, having football is a burden. First of all because of the change in rules, fewer and fewer local kids are being recruited (there used to be a low percentage of out of state players that could be on a juco team). If it costs more to recruit out of state players, and their scholarships cost more, then it becomes impossible for the FSCC's, Highland CC, DCCC, and to a lesser extent, CCCC, and Indy CC to compete with Hutch, Butler, and to a lesser extent Garden City. . While Indy, and Coffeyville have found ways intermittently to compete, (although not on a consistent yearly basis), it gets more difficult with those rules changes. Butler and Hutch get more local players, will always get the best football players from the metropolitan Wichita area, and Garden is the western Kansas school of choice.

Barton, and Labette dropped their teams years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dodge drop football with Indy, and Coffeyville evaluating the efficacy of having a football program in the future.

Comment

• The change in rules does put some at a disadvantage, but they're not required to recruit out of state talent and can still focus on local/in state kids. I'm pretty sure Butler opposed the change when it was being made as well.

I have a hard time believing Coffeyville would drop it. They'd have pretty good success and while I've only been to one game down there, and it was to support Butler, it was really well attended.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Coffeyville won’t drop their football program anytime soon. I understand they have some high rollers.

Comment

• [QUOTE=shoxlax;n1314918]Coffeyville won’t drop their football program anytime soon. I understand they have some high rollers. [/QUOTE

check you message inbox.
                              An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                The change in rules does put some at a disadvantage, but they're not required to recruit out of state talent and can still focus on local/in state kids. I'm pretty sure Butler opposed the change when it was being made as well.
                                But to compete, they are at a disadvantage if they don’t recruit out of state kids. I wasn’t putting the blame on Butler either.

Comment

Working...
                                X