2021 Olympics - Tokyo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Olympics - Tokyo

For anyone interested, maybe a catch all thread for things of interest in the next 3 weeks.

Former Shocker Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage is on the Puerto Rico national basketball team.

I kind of get the feeling there's still a really good chance the rest of the events will be cancelled. I hope not, but the Japanese people, from what I can tell, largely do not seem to be happy about all the people coming into their country.

USWNT lost to Sweden 3-0 ending a 44 match unbeaten streak. The team looked awful. I wonder if their wokeness has caused some internal issues with teamwork. They were not on the same page in that match...at all. Who knows though.

Women's softball is 2-0. I looked at some predictions on medals and was a little surprised at how few medals, relatively, the American team is projected to win. They are still predicted to get the most medals, but could be overtaken by the Chinese.

Watching some good futbol matches today. The Aussies took down Argentina. Brazil beat Germany after the Germans attempted a valiant comeback attempt.

Comment

16% vaccination rate by the Japanese tells me a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        For anyone interested, maybe a catch all thread for things of interest in the next 3 weeks.

Former Shocker Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage is on the Puerto Rico national basketball team.

I kind of get the feeling there's still a really good chance the rest of the events will be cancelled. I hope not, but the Japanese people, from what I can tell, largely do not seem to be happy about all the people coming into their country.

USWNT lost to Sweden 3-0 ending a 44 match unbeaten streak. The team looked awful. I wonder if their wokeness has caused some internal issues with teamwork. They were not on the same page in that match...at all. Who knows though.

Women's softball is 2-0. I looked at some predictions on medals and was a little surprised at how few medals, relatively, the American team is projected to win. They are still predicted to get the most medals, but could be overtaken by the Chinese.
        To paraphrase someone, USWNT prolly shoulda woke up for that one.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Comment

Thinking 'Pop would score about as well as Biden on a cognitive test. No excuses, but that's the way it is today.

Katie Ledecky finishes 2nd in the 400 free, a pretty big upset. Lily King loses a race for the first time in 5 years to put a question on her gold medal hopes (100 breast).

Mens 4X100 gets gold again!

USA gets 1st ever individual fencing foil medal when Lee Kiefer takes gold in a mild upset.

Comment

Kelsey Stewart is a badass
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

US lack of scoring runs catches up to them as they lose to Japan 0-2 in gold medal game.

They only scored 9 runs in their 5 games.
                Last edited by jdmee; July 27, 2021, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Weird day to say the least.

17 year old from Alaska, where's there's ONE 50 meter pool in the entire state in which to train (Jacoby usually trains on a 25 meter) wins gold in the 100 breast beating Lily King, one of the best ever in swimming.

Naomi Osaka ousted in the round of 16. Probably shouldn't have been the 2 seed due to lack of play, but she mentally just wasn't there today losing in straight sets to Marketa Somethingsova 6-1 6-4. I think there's an entire back story with this great player that's just not going to be discussed but that's life in 2021. Also was an incredible amount of pressure on her as the torch bearer.

Is Simone Biles injured or not? Her interview a couple of days ago sent up red flags for me....I hope she's ok. Greatest of all time, not debatable but if she wasn't injured (mixed messages from US Gymnastics) then she really let her teammates down....even worse if she comes back and competes in the individuals.

US women's soccer advances to the knockout win with a 0-0 tie vs the Aussies. To say the match, especially the 2nd half, was disappointing would be a huge understatement. But what I don't get is the way Australia played....they basically played for the tie, knowing full well they wouldn't advance unless they won. Why? I mean, their coach literally was excited when the final whistle blew. I get there are nuances, but it's the Olympics. Lose or tie you go home. Why not attack with everything, at least in the last 5-10 minutes? I just don't get it.

Can anyone explain handball? Fouls seem incredibly arbitrary, I can't think of another sport where time goes forward. Is there traveling or not? Why doesn't EVERYONE throw low? Is handball actually played anywhere but the Olympics? Landing inside that little semi-circle seems worse than NBA traveling. There's no shot clock but you can be penalized for being passive? Weirdest sport ever.

What's the difference between a 10.7 and a 10.4 in 10 meter air rifle?

Women's skateboard seemed to be a battle between who wouldn't fall after sliding down a rail. Perhaps there are subtleties (I could see the guys doing different tricks that basically looked the same) that I missed, but it appeared if you were 13 and had more malleable bones, you had an advantage.

The mountain biking course was one of the most kick ass things I've ever seen. I want to design one of those muther****ers some day.

Comment

US women's soccer advances to the knockout win with a 0-0 tie vs the Aussies. To say the match, especially the 2nd half, was disappointing would be a huge understatement. But what I don't get is the way Australia played....they basically played for the tie, knowing full well they wouldn't advance unless they won. Why? I mean, their coach literally was excited when the final whistle blew. I get there are nuances, but it's the Olympics. Lose or tie you go home. Why not attack with everything, at least in the last 5-10 minutes? I just don't get .
                    The Aussies actually did advanced. 2 of the 3 third place teams advanced. They would not have advanced with a loss.

Correction I think they would have advanced even with a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post

The Aussies actually did advanced. 2 of the 3 third place teams advanced. They would not have advanced with a loss.

Correction I think they would have advanced even with a loss.
                      Thank you for that...my mistake. After the match they had Q next to only the US and Sweden in that group, and I was thinking no 3rd place teams would advance. Now it makes sense, and will no longer bother me. Perhaps I should rethink what occupies my time......

Thanks again!

Comment

17 year old from Alaska, where's there's ONE 50 meter pool in the entire state in which to train (Jacoby usually trains on a 25 meter) wins gold in the 100 breast beating Lily King, one of the best ever in swimming.

Naomi Osaka ousted in the round of 16. Probably shouldn't have been the 2 seed due to lack of play, but she mentally just wasn't there today losing in straight sets to Marketa Somethingsova 6-1 6-4. I think there's an entire back story with this great player that's just not going to be discussed but that's life in 2021. Also was an incredible amount of pressure on her as the torch bearer.

Is Simone Biles injured or not? Her interview a couple of days ago sent up red flags for me....I hope she's ok. Greatest of all time, not debatable but if she wasn't injured (mixed messages from US Gymnastics) then she really let her teammates down....even worse if she comes back and competes in the individuals.

US women's soccer advances to the knockout win with a 0-0 tie vs the Aussies. To say the match, especially the 2nd half, was disappointing would be a huge understatement. But what I don't get is the way Australia played....they basically played for the tie, knowing full well they wouldn't advance unless they won. Why? I mean, their coach literally was excited when the final whistle blew. I get there are nuances, but it's the Olympics. Lose or tie you go home. Why not attack with everything, at least in the last 5-10 minutes? I just don't get it.

Can anyone explain handball? Fouls seem incredibly arbitrary, I can't think of another sport where time goes forward. Is there traveling or not? Why doesn't EVERYONE throw low? Is handball actually played anywhere but the Olympics? Landing inside that little semi-circle seems worse than NBA traveling. There's no shot clock but you can be penalized for being passive? Weirdest sport ever.

What's the difference between a 10.7 and a 10.4 in 10 meter air rifle?

Women's skateboard seemed to be a battle between who wouldn't fall after sliding down a rail. Perhaps there are subtleties (I could see the guys doing different tricks that basically looked the same) that I missed, but it appeared if you were 13 and had more malleable bones, you had an advantage.

The mountain biking course was one of the most kick ass things I've ever seen. I want to design one of those muther****ers some day.
                        Quoting this wall of text to say Jacoby is about as down to earth and sweet as it gets. She deserves all the accolades.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

In 10m air rifle, the decimal is just what you might expect ... how close the pellet is to the next ring. Each ring is subdivided into 10ths of a ring. A straight up bullseye is 10.9. So if firing 10 shots the best score you could possibly get is 109. If you land on the very outside of the 10 ring, its a 10.0.
                          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Quoting this wall of text to say Jacoby is about as down to earth and sweet as it gets. She deserves all the accolades.
                            I loved the look on her face when she won. The total surprise, a humbleness you don't see as much in today's world. Almost as if she was embarrassed to have defeated one of the best in the world.

Women's volleyball is off to a good start, led by former Cincinnati Bearcat Jordan Thompson who has been an absolute beast in the first 2 matches. Anyone that watched her live in Koch Arena knows that she is a special talent, but to step up against the best in the world, and dominate, is maybe a little surprising but she is so so good. Stats are a little hard to find, but she had 20+ kills in the opener against Argentina and at least 23 against China on Monday, both 3-0 sweeps for the Americans.

Comment

Biles really let her teammates down. I mean, she basically quit on them at the 11th hour in the middle of a competition. I get that she has done a tremendous amount for US Gymnastics, but that is pretty low to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X