What's Your Favorite Jeremy Linism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Jalen Rose did not get fired for saying "white boy wasted" about Gronk. I guess that's reverse racism so somehow it does not count?
    A few quick thoughts:

1. From a corporate perspective, there is a difference between making a comment, especially in the course of conversation, and publishing it as a headline. Headlines are read in the voice of the network brand (ESPN is obsessively self-aware in this regard), whereas spoken comments are normally attributable to their speaker. Naturally, a network has a degree of control over who is allowed to access their broadcast platform.

2. Rose's comment was inappropriate, from the perspective of culturally appropriate commentary for broadcast radio in the 21st century America. He really shouldn't have said it, especially with his history with alcohol. That said, surely, the fact that he is not 'really' a journalist (his appearance on the network is clearly not because of his formal media education) plays a significant role in how his comments were handled. Also, the fact that he was commenting on Gronk's drunken partying makes for a massively different situation than Lin's ability to take care of the basketball.

In a nutshell: false equivalencies are unhelpful.
    I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

You make good points. I suppose the Rose deal was more equivalent to Al Campanis.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        You make good points.
        Thank you.

In addition to my thoughts yesterday, I'll add a point that Tony Kornheiser made recently. He referenced the deep history of double-entendre and intentional controversy within the practice of headline writing. That tradition magnifies the offense and pushes it to a level of deliberateness and conscious insensitivity that reflects badly on the institution that published it.

I suppose the Rose deal was more equivalent to Al Campanis.
        I won't insult your intelligence by pretending that, even for a moment, you really believe in your heart that those two lines of commentary were commensurable.
        I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

Comment

...uh....ya, I do....

Comment

Originally posted by RampageWSU View Post

Originally posted by pinstripers
              ...uh....ya, I do....
              Well this thread just took a rather dark turn in what I would expect to be rather uncomfortable direction.

I'm not sure what to make it now. I won't judge, but I must say that I'm surprised.
              Last edited by Wu du Nord; February 21, 2012, 08:48 AM.

Comment

At least @pinstripers: didn't say Jelemy Rin!
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by RampageWSU View Post
                  Winner, Winner, chicken dinner.
                  ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Looks like she even has a ring on.

Comment

Working...
                    X