No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don’t know if you all saw this in this morning’s Eagle but there there was a nice article about some significant improvements to Wichita’s bike paths. Apparently the city has several million in the budget to expand the Prairie Sunset trail that runs from Garden Plain to Kellogg and I235. The plan is to save and upgrade an existing railroad bridge near I235 and finish the trail to Douglas and Sycamore. And the article stated the city is planning to have the work completed in 2022. Very exciting!

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
      Don’t know if you all saw this in this morning’s Eagle but there there was a nice article about some significant improvements to Wichita’s bike paths. Apparently the city has several million in the budget to expand the Prairie Sunset trail that runs from Garden Plain to Kellogg and I235. The plan is to save and upgrade an existing railroad bridge near I235 and finish the trail to Douglas and Sycamore. And the article stated the city is planning to have the work completed in 2022. Very exciting!
      Thanks for the update MD. Found this also...the site.

The bridge in question I hope...

Comment

• Great pictures JV! Yes, I’m sure that has to be the bridge in question. I hope this big plan also includes upgrades to that quarter mile stretch of the trail immediately to the west of Tex Consolover golf course. That’s almost unrideable as is.

Comment

• MD - I didn't take that picture. Just found it on internet.

There is a similar bridge along the river path near John Mack Bridge - seen in the distance (on Sunday), I went over the 400 mile mark for the month on Sunday almost at that point.

Comment

• So this is the bridge they’re talking about. I took that pic In February when I was back in the ICT. I’m curious how they’re going to go east with the prairie sunset trail—construction of the new 235 interchange removed most of the old Santa Fe railroad bed.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; April 28, 2021, 09:02 PM.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
              So this is the bridge they’re talking about. I took that pic In February when I was back in the ICT. I’m curious how they’re going to go east with the prairie sunset trail—construction of the new 235 interchange removed most of the old Santa Fe railroad bed.
              May have to bike over there this weekend. The trail east from the big ditch in the photo would have to travel across the ditch towards Bebe and/or Walker street and make its way east (on Walker?) towards the rail corridor near SW Blvd. From there it travels under Kellogg (US54), travels north and east towards Friends and then snakes its way through neighborhoods to Delano. Anyone know if that section of rail is still used near Friends? We've crossed the tracks numerous times in Delano in rides on bicycle.

Clearly the most difficult section will be NOT crossing the big ditch, it will be safely navigating across West Street south of Kellogg (or thereabouts). For an adult cyclist, it wouldn't be too difficult, but there are lots of families & kids on the Prairie Sunset and getting younger kids safely across the West Street area will require some thought/planning.

Comment

• Did 30 miles on the river path today. Sedgwick County Park south to the end of the “path to nowhere” and back. A new wrinkle this time as we crossed over to the east side of the river at Lincoln street and rode north to Central. I had not ridden the southern section of that path before, but it’s pretty nice and worth a ride if you haven’t tried it before.

Comment

• Hey MD. I rode the river path this afternoon as well. Downtown to the path to nowhere and back. I was a 26 mile ride short of getting 500 miles for the month.

Comment

• We were out there from 1:00 to about 4:00 yesterday. Since I don’t recall getting blown away like I was standing still, I guess we missed you.

We’ll be out on the Redbud tomorrow morning. However we’ll be hiking instead of biking. Planning a hiking/biking day trip in a couple of weeks so have to get some hiking training before we go.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                      We were out there from 1:00 to about 4:00 yesterday. Since I don’t recall getting blown away like I was standing still, I guess we missed you.

We’ll be out on the Redbud tomorrow morning. However we’ll be hiking instead of biking. Planning a hiking/biking day trip in a couple of weeks so have to get some hiking training before we go.
                      I don't pass other cyclists like that. Friday, when I first got on to the bike path at Douglas, there was someone on an e-bike going rather quickly heading south into the wind and I actually didn't want to get in the person's way. So I slowed and hoped they would go around. They didn't. They sat on my rear wheel for almost 1/2 of a mile before I had enough. So my trip to nowhere and back started with half of the ride being fast paced, because I didn't want someone sitting on my wheel. The way back I was actually slower even with the slight tail wind because my weeday rides from work are 1/2 workout and 1/2 recovery. I think I made it to "nowhere" in about 30 minutes from Douglas into a slight headwind. The trip back was almost 45 minutes because I was enjoying the recovery and listening to music.

Had good rides this weekend all on the redbud trail, back on the mtn bike for 2 days. Hope everyone is well.

Comment

• Waited patiently for the rains to end this AM. Bike ride weather was as good as I can recall. Super light wind. Spots of sun. 70 ish. Good long ride out east, then out to Bel Aire and 37th street north before working back around the nature center path at 29th. Then rode west along the path from nature center and we usually see a fair number of deer in the area, just not today. Water level in some streams is up. We needed the rain. Stopped by WSU on the way home and caught a couple of pitches at the game this afternoon. Lots of new buildings on campus. Take care everyone.

Comment

• We rode the Prairie Spirit trail on Thursday. 52 miles from Iola to Ottawa. An absolutely perfect day for riding, beautiful sunny sky, upper 60’s and very light winds. I highly recommend this trail as it has a crushed limestone surface that you could ride any bike on, and towns located about 7 miles apart with almost all having rest rooms and drinking water right on the trail. I would say this trail is a notch above the Redbud and Prairie Sunset trails in the Wichita area.

Comment

• Hi everybody.....quick update.

I got my shots and went to Costa Rica and Isla de Mujeres.

My knees are a lot worse, but I got a nice stationary bike for my recovery......

Comment

• Results:

I expected to lose something; and I have, but I think I can build my conditioning quickly after surgery.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Isla de Mujeres:
                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X