Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Doing 40 miles at 7 am tomorrow.
    I don't get out of bed till after 8 am, so that's kinda early.

Comment

• Freaking bike is dirty as f%@#. I rode the Wabash on Saturday and just noticed it was this bad this afternoon. I dont have time to clean her before tomorrow morning. A clean bike is a fast bike, I might be slow in the am.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• 19 miles tonight and I'm at 84 for the week. Good thing I get a massage everyday.

Comment

• MVJ, what surface were you riding on that got your bike that dirty?

Comment

• Bought one of these at a garage sale last weekend for $20; it's a Panasonic Sport DX, 12 speed with a skinny azz seat and very thin 'Bontrager' tires. If you see an 'old man' cruising on the east side of town and passing your 'platoon', I advise you to watch out!

P.S. Probably going to need a case of Monkey Butt powder...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              Bought one of these at a garage sale last weekend for $20; it's a Panasonic Sport DX, 12 speed with a skinny azz seat and very thin 'Bontrager' tires. If you see an 'old man' cruising on the east side of town and passing your 'platoon', I advise you to watch out!

You got a great buy!

I would suggest you take it to a LBS and have it tuned up. It will cost you a little, but it would seem as if it would be worth it, looks like it is worth at least $100 to a bike afficionado.

It will cost you about $100 to tune it up, they can check the chain for slack (you will ruin the crank and cassette if you don't change the chain out every 2-3,000 miles). Think of it as preventive maintenance, kind of offsets the bargain you got, but would keep you from having to spend needless dollars later.

Bontrager made great rims back in the day, and your vintage is 'back in the day'. Rear Derailleur is Shimano RSX, which was just below 105, so that's some pretty salty mechanicals.

12 speed should provide you with sufficient range, unless you like to ride up parking lot grades and big hills.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

You got a great buy!

I would suggest you take it to a LBS and have it tuned up. It will cost you a little, but it would seem as if it would be worth it, looks like it is worth at least $100 to a bike afficionado.

It will cost you about $100 to tune it up, they can check the chain for slack (you will ruin the crank and cassette if you don't change the chain out every 2-3,000 miles). Think of it as preventive maintenance, kind of offsets the bargain you got, but would keep you from having to spend needless dollars later.

Bontrager made great rims back in the day, and your vintage is 'back in the day'. Rear Derailleur is Shimano RSX, which was just below 105, so that's some pretty salty mechanicals.

12 speed should provide you with sufficient range, unless you like to ride up parking lot grades and big hills.
                The guy upgraded, but said he maintained it well.... I'll still take in it for a "tune up". The 'bike talk' finally got to me.

Thanks!
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

The guy upgraded, but said he maintained it well.... I'll still take in it for a "tune up". The 'bike talk' finally got to me.

Thanks!
                  Yeah, the only real reason to run is if you're running after something like this.

Buit even so, its better on the knees if you just follow slowly on a bicycle.
                  Or you could get an ebike....

Comment

Bought one of these at a garage sale last weekend for $20; it's a Panasonic Sport DX, 12 speed with a skinny azz seat and very thin 'Bontrager' tires. If you see an 'old man' cruising on the east side of town and passing your 'platoon', I advise you to watch out!

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

I spoke with a resident at Lakepoint years ago, and the reason the said the railroad corridor isn't paved from Rock Road to Webb (at least) is the Kochs said "no". As far as the other sections (Woodlawn to Rock), Webb to Greenwich, Greenwich to K96.....I have no idea. I would guess money talks, or at least tosses out a

It's not paved anywhere east of Woodlawn, is it? I mean maybe as it gets closer to Andover, it does, but in Wichita proper?

I've always assumed that it just takes money, and they're doing it as they can.

Comment

• I suggest this thread be re-titled to Retired Guys Riding Bikes. It certainly ain't so much us working slugs, based on time/date stuff.

Comment

• I used to ride a lot. Grew up racing BMX competitively from like age 5 to 13. Traveled all around the central US. Have boxes and boxes of trophies up in the attic that I can't let go of.

Spent the balance of my childhood in Newton riding everywhere. Many miles from home. Before such a thing brought on the attention of social services. Most of the time helmet-less. Helmets at the time were rather huge styrofoam jobs with lycra and mesh covers - pretty hideous things. No one wore them outside of the peloton wanna-be types. Real bikes though, clip-less pedals and whatnot.

Rode a lot through early adulthood, but life just pulled me away. Today I'm just not comfortable riding city streets and county roads with all of the distracted driving due to cell phones. Seems like a borderline insane idea anymore, unfortunately. I'm scared enough riding in town on a motorcycle these days, and that is moving with the pace of traffic, much less 1/2 or 1/4 the speed of surrounding traffic like on a bike.

I still have two road bikes - an ancient Italian-made Quattro Assi from my childhood, and a Fuji from about 15 years ago. Both are nice-riding cro-mo frame bikes with 105 components. Unfortunately true road bikes really are a bad fit for the Wichita bike path system. Been thinking about a gravel bike as the Redbud is only like 1/2 mile from my house. But... meh.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                            I suggest this thread be re-titled to Retired Guys Riding Bikes. It certainly ain't so much us working slugs, based on time/date stuff.
                            I'm not retired. Far from it.

And just knowing that there are other people on SN out there bicycling, is almost like encouragement to go bike even when I don't feel like it. But I won't bike in the rain. Ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                              <snip>

Been thinking about a gravel bike as the Redbud is only like 1/2 mile from my house. But... meh.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                                MVJ, what surface were you riding on that got your bike that dirty?
                                Crushed limestone. I did 30 miles on the Wabash Trace Nature Trail in Iowa. Great ride, but I didnt look at my bike the last two rides after. I noticed some noise yesterday, looked at my cassette and derailleur, and there was limestone dust everywhere. I did a quick clean and lube this morning, did 40 miles, everything worked great. I'm going to scrub it all down and lube everything tomorrow. Saturday, we have a 35 mile ride.
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X