No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not saying all the information I have is correct, but a little bit of research I did told me that the World Health Organization decided a couple of years ago to stop defining things (like Covid-19) pandemics. Why? Because it creates panic where panic is not called for.

CNN led Monday with making the "decision" to call this a pandemic. Why? I believe to cause a panic. What some are doing to undermine this country for political gain is unreal.

I hope nobody needlessly passes. I have a lot of elderly family. I'm doing my best to help protect them. I will continue to live my life, because regardless of this thing, I don't know if I will live another day...who does? But if we get through this with minimal damage, and it's not as bad as the left is screaming about, I hope everyone remembers these days of organized and encouraged panic.

Comment

• WHO Director yesterday.

"As you know, over the weekend we crossed 100,000 reported cases of COVID-19 in 100 countries.

It’s certainly troubling that so many people and countries have been affected, so quickly.

Now that the virus has a foothold in so many countries, the threat of a pandemic has become very real.

But it would be the first pandemic in history that could be controlled.

The bottom line is: we are not at the mercy of this virus."

"Of the four countries with the most cases, China is bringing its epidemic under control and there is now a decline in new cases being reported from the Republic of Korea.

Both these countries demonstrate that it’s never too late to turn back the tide on this virus."

Comment

• Panic is a serious word. I don't see panic. I see a lot of caution, a lot of concern, and a lot of reasoned decisionmaking about what to do and when.

I've avoided mentioning politics in all my posts above and I want to stick with that. So I'll just offer a boots-on-the-ground perspective from here in the DC area, where normally we politicize anything and everything. There's a Republican governor in Maryland, a Democrat in Virginia, a Dem mayor in Washington but all the federal agencies are run by Republicans, and what I see right here is a whole bunch of Americans doing their level best to work together, share information, get ahead of problems, and keep things safe and calm. Panic is the last word I would associate with the situation here.

What I see from New York and Seattle doesn't look like panic to me either. Disruption? Sure. Inconvenience? Uncertainty? Frustration with government at all levels? Yeah. But not panic.

Nobody's looting liquor stores. Nobody's shooting people in the streets if they cough. We're not euthanizing our pets. Did a bunch of people clean out Costcos in Seattle? Sure, and you see the same thing in Florida before hurricanes. Is it tough to find Purell at the drugstore? Yup, but nobody's breaking anyone's teeth over it like it's a bigscreen TV on Black Friday.

Is Wall Street confused? Clearly. But nobody's jumping out of windows. The credit markets aren't seizing up. (And if they do it'll have as much to do with the oil price war exposing the precariousness of US shale oil producers).

Every day we're getting more science about the disease--how it spreads, who is vulnerable, how to treat it, how to slow its spread. The time is now to absorb those lessons and prepare as necessary.

My worst-case concern--the only outcome leading to panic that I think is remotely plausible right now--is an extended spike in high acuity hospitalizations that strains physical capacity, skilled labor, and equipment so far that patients with OTHER conditions suffer worse outcomes than they would have otherwise. If that happens, I could see localized social backlash in response. My hospital clients are acutely aware of the limits on their capacity and the importance of moderating the virus's spread so that all the cases don't hit at once. These executives and clinical leaders are not the panicky sort and run the gamut of political beliefs. All my business travel for the next month has been cancelled--at multiple clients' request--so that they have more time to prepare for the spike. It may not be good for my business, but I support their decisions 100%. None of it is panic.

Last thing--I'll say that I've really appreciated the civility of the dialogue in this thread among posters who draw different conclusions about the degree of the threat and the proper response. (Almost) nobody is trying to score political points, and NOBODY is hoping for a bad outcome or inciting panic. I hope no one will suggest otherwise. As far as cable news goes, they're always screaming--every network. Don't let it spin you up.

Comment

• Sadly, I believe that social media and the pervasiveness of the Internet in general has ended the era of journalism, and ushered in a new era of sensationalism.

The only time I watch cable news anymore is during election nights -- that's pretty fun!
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• If we believe China, they look to have peaked at about 80-90k. Obviously will continue to rise, some.

I would hope that is worst case scenario for the U.S. Now just trying to imagine the impact of that many cases...

Seems like we could easily handle that from a medical response and care standpoint, especially if it's spread out across the entire country. And not all require hospitalization.

But, I don't know. We're at 1000 now and everyone is losing their minds.

Maybe I just have more confidence in our country as a whole.

Hysteria pushers and sky is falling crowd aside.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Sad to say, but there are absolutely people that are hoping this becomes an economic and health disaster, and they are doing everything possible to create panic and pushing fear mongering. Anyone that doesn''t see this is either naive or dishonest.

Comment

• "The World Health Organization estimates that worldwide, annual influenza epidemics result in about 3-5 million cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths."

That works out to about 250,000 (on the low side) brand new severe cases of influenza every single month, globally.

Just food for thought.

Comment

• People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                    If we believe China, they look to have peaked at about 80-90k. Obviously will continue to rise, some.
                    Remember they took very harsh measures to slow the spread.

Seems like we could easily handle that from a medical response and care standpoint, especially if it's spread out across the entire country. And not all require hospitalization.
                    The U.S. is well situated in this regard. The risk is overwhelming the system. That is what happened in Wuhan, their medical system got overwhelmed. In other parts of China the death rate was much less because they were better situated and where able to slow spread of the virus and keep it manageable.

I But, I don't know. We're at 1000 now and everyone is losing their minds.
                    This grows exponentially if you take no action. As Italy found out it was 655 on February 28, then twelve day later it is 12,000+ and climbing. Also, since testing in the U.S. is just really coming online this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see some big increases in the coming week.

Also what you are seeing different parts of the country right now is not "lose their minds", but trying to slow the spread too gain time and make sure our health care system doesn't get overwhelmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Remember they took very harsh measures to slow the spread.

The U.S. is well situated in this regard. The risk is overwhelming the system. That is what happened in Wuhan, their medical system got overwhelmed. In other parts of China the death rate was much less because they were better situated and where able to slow spread of the virus and keep it manageable.

This grows exponentially if you take no action. As Italy found out it was 655 on February 28, then twelve day later it is 12,000+ and climbing. Also, since testing in the U.S. is just really coming online this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see some big increases in the coming week.

Also what you are seeing different parts of the country right now is not "lose their minds", but trying to slow the spread too gain time and make sure our health care system doesn't get overwhelmed.

True, media and stock market notwithstanding. And toilet paper hoarders.... life is pretty normal.
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Fans banned from Warriors games at Chase Center to curb coronavirus spread

Comment

• Stay informed. Practice good hygiene. Assess your personal risks.

Do not wear Walmart bags on your head or shoes.

Yet.

Comment

• Coronavirus live updates: NCAA Tournament games in Ohio will be played without fans

Comment

• When will the other countries stand up and demand China pay for all the events related to the Wuhan virus. I find it amazing no one is demanding reparations for not containing this within their borders. If this had started in the US it would be demanded that we be held economically responsible for this.

Comment

• Interesting read:

Comment

Working...
                                X