No announcement yet.

Official Foodie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louie's is really good. So is Big Larry's. I've also heard great things about the burgers at Timbuktu in Andover.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      Louie's is really good. So is Big Larry's. I've also heard great things about the burgers at Timbuktu in Andover.
      All three of those are really good. Mrs. Shockband and I had burgers at the Black Gold Grill on the south side of El Dorado on US 77, and they were right up there with these three as well as the Wichita burger places. I've heard that Sweet Thangz in Douglass is outstanding as well.

Moving away from the burgers, Mrs. Shockband and I celebrated our anniversary wtih lunch at Lima Nation, a Peruvian restaurant just east of K-96 on 21st Street. It is a little bit pricier place, with dinner entrees running in the $25-40 zone, but they have a smaller lunch menu where entrees are all in the $14-20 zone. We were able to have an appetizer, two entrees, and a dessert for about $60 before tax and tip. We kept our cost down by having just water to drink. The steak "bites" I had with the lomo saltado were as good as any steak I've ever had. So if you're looking for someplace nice with different but very delicious food for a special occasion, Lima Nation fits the bill.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Louie's is really good. So is Big Larry's. I've also heard great things about the burgers at Timbuktu in Andover.
        I've had a few at Timbuktu...

I'm having a DeJa'Vu moment... I'm sure this one has been posted before.

"The National Poetry Contest had come down to two semifinalists: a Yale graduate and a redneck from Wyoming. They were given a word, then allowed two minutes to study the word and come up with a poem that contained the word. The word they were given was "Timbuktu".

First to recite his poem was the Yale graduate. He stepped to the microphone and said:
        Slowly across the desert sand
        Trekked a lonely caravan.
        Men on camels, two by two
        Destination---Timbuktu.

The crowd went crazy! No way could the redneck top that, they thought. The redneck calmly made his way to the microphone and recited:

Me and Tim a-huntin went,
        Met three whores in a pop up tent.
        They was three, and we was two,
        So I bucked one, and Timbuktu.

The redneck won hands down!"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I think this may have been mentioned before, but it's happening.

Restaurant News - Toastique To Open in Kansas This Fall With Its First Location in Wichita

Toastique Wichita will be helmed by Kalene Hoffmann, a health and wellness enthusiast who also owns the neighboring BODYBAR Pilates studio. The new 2000 sq. ft. location is located in Cambridge Marketplace centrally located Colonel James Jabara Airport, Regency Lakes Shopping Center, Wichita Country Club, and Wichita State University. A staunch advocate for nutrition, Hoffmann dove into a wellness journey 15 years ago and has championed the importance of nutrition and fitness to her clients at BODYBAR. Hoffmann grew up in Wichita and attended Wichita State, so when the opportunity came along to further her passion for wellness by opening a restaurant that aligned with her values, she invested in Toastique with a three-unit deal.

“As an advocate for holistic wellness, I’m thrilled to bring the synergy of movement and nutrition to Wichita,” said Kalene Hoffmann, owner of Toastique Wichita. “BODYBAR Pilates has been a sanctuary for physical transformation for the past two and a half years, and now with Toastique located in the same Cambridge Marketplace Center, we can nourish our community pre and post-workout with wholesome, delicious options that encourage a balanced lifestyle. We don’t have anything like Toastique in Wichita, so I can’t wait to begin serving the community soon!”

Highlights of the menu include the Avocado Smash (avocado with watermelon radish, marinated tomatoes, chili oil, microgreens on multigrain toast), Smoked Salmon (smoked pastrami salmon, herbed cream cheese spread, arugula, cucumber, pickled onion, capers, toasty seasoning, microgreens lemon twist on sourdough toast) and 3 Cheese Italian (prosciutto, melted swiss and fontina with roasted garlic onion jam, topped with dressed arugula on jalapeño cheddar toast). Guests can also enjoy freshly blended smoothies, such as the Green Machine (banana, pineapple, mango, spinach, kale, hemp seeds, flax seeds, lime and coconut water) and iced collagen lattes including the Blueberry Lavender Lemon Latte (vital proteins blueberry lavender lemon collagen, blueberries and almond milk).
          It is nice to have an option for healthier food available. Not sure if I could do any of it or not, and a lot of that would depend on what the price is for toast with things on top.

Closest locations are in Texas and Colorado.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'm certain people will flock there, certain in the Fountain of Youth, but I can't think of a faster way to the grave than paying $13-16 for a piece of toast and $10 more for a small smoothie.

Comment

• I have no idea what the pricing is, but if it's in that realm I wouldn't touch it. I might be willing to pay a little more for healthier options, but those prices would be pretty crazy for what you're getting.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Audacy - 90 years ago today: a Wichita-founded company announced it was leaving town

The big announcement came 90 years ago on this day (1934), when company president E.W. (Billy) Ingram announced the White Castle System would be moving from its home base in Wichita to Columbus, Ohio, to be completed by October 1st.

The Wichita office for local operations remained in charge of A.J. King; (his local eateries eventually morphed into the Kings-X chain).

White Castle started in Wichita in 1921 with a single hamburger stand at the rear of the Dorsey Building, to the west of the intersection of 1st & Main downtown.

Although the company originated in Wichita, the city has not had a White Castle restaurant since 1938, nor is there a White Castle in the entire state of Kansas. White Castle is one of the few restaurant chains that does not have a location in its original city.

White Castle company headquarters remain based in Columbus, and the Ingram family still runs the company; White Castle has about 350 locations throughout the United States.

Growing steadily after its founding in Wichita, White Castle has generally been credited as the world's first fast-food hamburger chain, serving up "sliders" for decades. In 2014, Time magazine named the White Castle slider "The Most Influential Burger of All Time".
                While I find White Castle to be overrated, it is kind of sad that the home of WC is no longer in the ICT.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another local restaurant closure due to retirement. This one I'm not familiar with but it's also located in an area of town I've rarely been.

Wichita by EB - Po Boy Pizza to close in August

There’s been rumor of this announcement coming for a while, and that day has come. A long-time staple of the Wichita dining scene will be closing. Po Boy Pizza, located at 5619 E. Lincoln, announced on Monday morning that August 6 will be the last day of business. Until then, it’ll be carryout only.

The announcement was shared on Po Boy Pizza’s Facebook page.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by EB 22 View Post
                    While I don't think underrated is the right term for Japan Express, it's rarely in the discussion of best restaurants. I want to change that because I love that place so much.

If you've never been, I hope this guide can help you.

https://www.wichitabyeb.com/2024/04/japan-express-a-visual-guide-to-every-entree-on-the-menu.html
                    Trying to find something good that I haven't tried before today (family birthday). Remembered this post. I went, and it's way, way, way, above average. 10 out of 10, would devour.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Trying to find something good that I haven't tried before today (family birthday). Remembered this post. I went, and it's way, way, way, above average. 10 out of 10, would devour.
                      Love Japan Express!
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I may need to find Japan Express
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I may need to find Japan Express
                          The teriyaki chicken is my go to meal there.

Comment

• Grandma Thuy's will reopen

Wichita by EB - Grandma Thuy's to reopen this week

The local restaurant scene took a big blow when Grandma Thuy’s announced they were closing. Owner Mai Vo and her family will be moving out of the state which forced the closure.

It was a tough decision that Vo struggled with, especially since her family was a big part of Grandma Thuy’s success. The glimmer of hope to keep them open despite Vo moving arrived.

Vo’s parents, who many have probably seen at the restaurant working, have stepped in to keep Grandma Thuy’s open. Even though they are retired, they will continue on with a slimmed down menu that brings the restaurant back to its original beginnings. All of this starts Thursday, August 1.

The new look Grandma Thuy’s will be serving appetizers only. This includes eggrolls, crab rangoon, dumplings and firecracker shrimp.
                            This seems to be happening in hopes that they can find a buyer, or partner, to keep it going for good. Until then, their new hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 4pm-8pm.

I hope they find someone that can step in and get the business cranking again. I know myself and a couple of others I work with were sad to see them close as we enjoyed picking up lunch there from time to time.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Its so good!

Comment

• Just a quick note, I had a family member that wanted to go back to Saltgrass (was there with a job event previously) so I recently took the fam there. Nothing special, reminded me a lot of that steakhouse at 21st and Rock 20 years ago, solid, friendly, nothing pretentious.

You pretty much expect to pay ridiculous prices when you go out these days but for steaks etc I didn't think the prices were out of line, considering quality and location. Everything we had was very good to excellent. The staff was friendly and attentive even though we thought they were fairly busy and a tad understaffed (for that many patrons). But the siracha honey glazed quail appetizers were next world. Seriously, easily one of the best and most surprisingly outstanding things I've had in 3 years at least. Would recommend.

Comment

Working...
                                X