Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surefire ways to make a great steak:

Dry brine ahead of time - 3-4 hours in the fridge before cooking
    Reverse sear if possible - as long as you get a good crust, that's what matters - some people have used mayo, but I prefer butter/oil
    Baste while finishing or place compound butter on top after cooking while steak rests

Dry brining improves the steak's tenderness and taste regardless of the level of doneness, but if you do it right and get a medium rare or close to medium, it's perfection.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post

Prost’s schnitzel dishes are to die for. I don’t do restaurant bierocks as my wife still has enough German Mennonite genetics. Her bierocks are unsurpassed. Everyone else is playing for second place.
      And if I did have one at a restaurant that was better than hers, saying so would just really be a bad idea. Nope. Not gonna do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Le Monde Cafe
        Bless you and your first born.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Pretty sure that's grounds for divorce.

I will admit that I grew up eating well done steak and using A1 mostly because my father is apparently an idiot that thought that's how steak was meant to be. Also explains why often times when we were having steak for dinner, I could convince my mother to make me chicken instead. She was so much better than he was and the chicken she made was easily better than the steak my father made.

I eventually seen some cooking shows where they talked about steak and the first time I tried a steak at medium, it was a game changer.
          At a family reunion a few years ago (newer in law types) and I bought a couple hundred dollars worth of Yoder's finest T-bones, ribeyes and filets for the grill, grabbed the utensils and went to work. All the orders from the new members of the fam....well done. It was all I could do to keep from just walking away and shutting the door. Criminal response and way to cook steak. It still irks me.

Fact of the matter is I couldn't really do it. I had to refire some of them 3 times to burn it enough. I don't even know......

My wife and I sat at another table, her to enjoy her still mooing filet, and my red running med rare ribeye....almost made them ill. I guess they know how I felt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Le Monde Cafe
            Le Monde is good. Haven't been their in ages.

Another hidden gem on West street is Bella Vita Bistro (Italian). Again haven't been there in a long time.

Interestingly, Le Monde is in a old Taco Tico (I think) building and Bella Vista is in the old Grinder Man location.

Another good place that I haven't been to in quite some time is La Gallette French Bakery and Restaurant in the Delano District.

I apologize if this have been previously mentioned. Haven't been following the thread all that close.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Is Geno's in Kechi still open and has anyone been there lately?
              My daughter lived in Kechi until about a year ago. Liked me some Geno's but you better call before you go as there hours of operation are kind of hit and miss.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 30, 2022, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• Does anyone travel the Lincoln and Water area? Apparently there is some tremendous food to be found inside of a convenience store there.

Wichita by EB - First Look at Backyard Kitchen

The menu featured many dishes, owners crafted to give diners a “backyard experience”. They offer smoked and grilled meats. A big portion of their menu is their signature exploded potatoes, which are baked potatoes that are opened to give you the visual of it being “exploded”. Of course, we had to go with an exploded potato. Typically, we would have ordered the brisket, but since they sold out, we stuck with pulled pork. We also went with a dirty bowl which consisted of chicken, beef, sausage, homemade rue over a bed of dirty rice.

At $8.39 and $5.99 for each dish, it was quite the value for what we received, especially when you compared it to prices around town.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Does anyone travel the Lincoln and Water area? Apparently there is some tremendous food to be found inside of a convenience store there.

Wichita by EB - First Look at Backyard Kitchen
                  I recall a local convenience store that supposedly had the best Indian food in the 316 (I won't disclose the location); it was the absolute worst tasting food I've ever had. This old 'cat' is strictly pre-packaged foods when it comes to convenience stores. I'll make an exception with roller grill wienies and egg rolls from QT.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Does anyone eat Thai? It's something I've always been curious about but never explored and then while talking to some friends yesterday, they recommended going to Tuptim Thai at 21st and Rock. They also had a west side location for me to try, but as a BuCo kid, the east side makes the most sense.

They've also told me specifically what to order as they think I'll like it based off of our previous discussion leading into it.

But wondering what some of you may have to say. I'm going to get some this week and if I like it at all, I'll definitely be open to exploring more.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I recall a local convenience store that supposedly had the best Indian food in the 316 (I won't disclose the location); it was the absolute worst tasting food I've ever had. This old 'cat' is strictly pre-packaged foods when it comes to convenience stores. I'll make an exception with roller grill wienies and egg rolls from QT.

There used to be a place that sold BBQ ribs and maybe other things somewhere west of Wichita that was pretty good. It was located at a gas station but it had a pretty good rep. I don't think it exists anymore, but I'm not 100 on that.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• In all of the East vs West battles we've had discussed, the South side is now getting something new.

AOL - New south Wichita Angry Elephant restaurant will have expanded menu, sports bar feel

“We’re going to be more of a sports bar with a barbecue theme, but it won’t be just strictly barbecue,” he said. “We’re really trying to base this off Old Chicago or Twin Peaks or Buffalo Wild Wings so that it has the kind of feel where you can come in, get a good drink, get a nice beer and a good meal.”

Munoz wants to be able to focus on the new concept, he said, so much so that he’s decided to sell The Angry Elephant restaurant at Central and Tyler to his longtime manager Angel Ponce. That deal should be wrapped up in a month, he said, and though Ponce will be in charge of the west-side restaurant, it will stay under The Angry Elephant umbrella and keep the same name and menu it has.

“It’s not a complete sell off,” Munoz said. “We’re just trying to just separate concepts a little bit.”
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I had TupTim Thai for the first time this weekend and it was excellent. It was a bit pricey though, so I'll have to watch how often I go there. Are there any other east side Thai places that are maybe a little friendlier to the bank account?

I ordered the Moneybags (heavenly) and the Gang Dang Pad Thai (really damn good) and it cost me about $30. You get quite a bit of food, but that's not something I'm willing to spend on a weekly basis to get something to go. Would really appreciate any other possible recommendations if you have any.

Or maybe just different places with ethnic cuisine to try. I'm trying to branch out and expand my food knowledge a bit.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I had TupTim Thai for the first time this weekend and it was excellent. It was a bit pricey though, so I'll have to watch how often I go there. Are there any other east side Thai places that are maybe a little friendlier to the bank account?

I ordered the Moneybags (heavenly) and the Gang Dang Pad Thai (really damn good) and it cost me about $30. You get quite a bit of food, but that's not something I'm willing to spend on a weekly basis to get something to go. Would really appreciate any other possible recommendations if you have any.

Or maybe just different places with ethnic cuisine to try. I'm trying to branch out and expand my food knowledge a bit.
                            Also, first time for us this last Friday evening. I, too, had the Gang Dang Pad Thai although they do have an extensive menu. We were with four other couples and everyone enjoyed their meal. Agree on the price, but then, I squeak when I walk.

Comment

• Tuptim is fantastic. Thai Traditions is also solid, may a bit less expensive but not quite as good either but their Pad Thai is top notch as is the curry duck.

Comment

• Wichita by EB - A recap of Wichita's newest restaurants in the first half of 2022

I really enjoy Eddy and I'm glad he posted this. I'm intrigued by a few of the east side places like Magnolia and First Mile. Always looking for a good breakfast spot outside of Doo Dah and will have to check these two out.

If you're into checking out new places, give this a look over and see what might interest you. Eddy also loves Station 8 BBQ and they seem to be doing quite well. May have to grab the guys some day and go enjoy some Q.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X