It's cold as f....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

This is a strawman argument. I don't have the time to follow you through the many hay fields of your partisan mind. I just ask you to open it. You've been lied to.

I am also not a power grid expert. I am a bullshit detection expert though, and I can give you 100% assurance that the running Fox News narrative the other night, by all their nighttime personalities on what a harbinger of doom Texas is for the hope of cleaner air, is unadulterated poppycock.

On second thought, I will humor your strawman for a brief moment because I am a generous soul, and I kind of like you.

I had the pleasure of sharing many a chat w/ a very successful geophysicist with many years in the industry. He explained in great detail once how energy is made, transferred, and stored all across the United States. The conversation came out of a discussion about Enron, who was moving electricity out of Cali in order to create artificial shortages and then selling it back at exorbitant prices. So my non-Googled answer to your question is: had Texas been part of the national grid, I suspect they would have been able to purchase all the power they needed at a premium price.

I could be wrong. I never argue in-depth on subjects I am not thoroughly knowledgeable in.

But the primary problem in Texas was one of cost-cutting necessary maintenance/contingency protocols. Kind of like how Trump came into the White House and killed the "unnecessary" programs that would have been helpful in the pandemic. Because we're "never gonna have a major pandemic in America"; just like "we're never gonna see Texas frozen solid"... penny-wise and pound-foolish indeed.
    Based on the length of your blogs, you have plenty of time.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
      What do the experts say about the fact that asthma cases are not correlated geographically with air pollution? Please note, I didn’t say that air pollutants don’t worsen asthma, I was specifically calling out that air pollutants don’t correlate with incidents of asthma. This would seem to be counter to your assertion that it creates asthmatics specifically in LA and China.
      Just be more honest. Don't play semantics with me. You know that pollution affects our breathing. I provided ample documentation indicating thusly.

I am not motived by global warming because I am not that educated on global warming. I AM motivated on reducing pollution because it absolutely makes people suffer. Just as cigarette smoke makes non-smokers (and smokers) suffer.

I read an article decades ago about LA and the epidemic of asthmatics that correlated to the rise in smog. This was back when LA was MUCH worse. It's common knowledge that artificial (and natural) irritants affect the lungs and bronchi. We can't necessarily stop much of the artificial irritants (pollen), but we can treat it. Should we develop immunotherapy shots for pollution next? How sad would that be.

Let's all just start driving battery cars and charge them up at home at night with our little power stations that charge during the day via solar panel. Transferring automobiles to clean energy would massively reduce pollution in major cities. Then after that, we can work on cleaning up the rest.

The future of the world is a clean one whether you like it or not. That trend won't change no matter how hard you stomp your feet in the name of an industry that cares little about you.

P.S. Go drive a Tesla. You'll wonder why you ever visited a gas station.

Comment

Just be more honest. Don't play semantics with me. You know that pollution affects our breathing. I provided ample documentation indicating thusly.

I am not motived by global warming because I am not that educated on global warming. I AM motivated on reducing pollution because it absolutely makes people suffer. Just as cigarette smoke makes non-smokers (and smokers) suffer.

I read an article decades ago about LA and the epidemic of asthmatics that correlated to the rise in smog. This was back when LA was MUCH worse. It's common knowledge that artificial (and natural) irritants affect the lungs and bronchi. We can't necessarily stop much of the artificial irritants (pollen), but we can treat it. Should we develop immunotherapy shots for pollution next? How sad would that be.

Let's all just start driving battery cars and charge them up at home at night with our little power stations that charge during the day via solar panel. Transferring automobiles to clean energy would massively reduce pollution in major cities. Then after that, we can work on cleaning up the rest.

The future of the world is a clean one whether you like it or not. That trend won't change no matter how hard you stomp your feet in the name of an industry that cares little about you.

P.S. Go drive a Tesla. You'll wonder why you ever visited a gas station.
        I am being honest, and I don’t believe that the primary driver of asthmatics is pollution. I think that a clean environment is a good thing, but I don’t think alarmism is the right way to go about it, even if that wasn’t your intent.

What’s REALLY, REALLY good for humans to thrive is cheap, efficient power. There’s really no reason that we can’t rely on nuclear power for the majority of this, and it’s the cleanest power by a long shot.

Now maybe one day we will be able to drive our battery powered Tesla’s to KC and back without having to charge it for 4 hours, but until then, having one gas powered vehicle in the garage makes sense.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Based on the length of your blogs, you have plenty of time.
          I am a profuse (and profane?) communicator. Make no mistake, it comes at a cost. These vile novellas don't write themselves.

Comment

Are you auditioning for a staff spot at Fox News now? Don't do this to your mind friend.

UNPLUG! Reality is standing by ready to restart a new relationship with you.

Studies have shown that air pollution is related to the worsening of asthma symptoms. Ozone triggers asthma because it is extremely irritating to the lungs and airways.

Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America

Website of the AAAAI. Medical content developed and reviewed by the leading experts in allergy, asthma and immunology.

American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology

The estimated six million children in the United States with asthma are especially vulnerable to air pollution. Read about three recent EPA studies on the link between childhood asthma and air pollution.

Air pollution and poor air quality can harm your health, causing illnesses such as asthma, heart and lung diseases.

PARTICLES IN THE AIR LIKE DUST, DIRT, SOOT, AND SMOKE ARE CALLED
            PARTICULATE MATTER & CAN CAUSE
            • Increased hospital visits
            • Worsened asthma symptoms
            • Adverse birth outcomes
            • Breathing problems
            • Decreased lung growth in kids
            • Lung cancer
            • Early death

Forms when pollutants from cars and trucks, power plants, factories, and other sources come in contact with each other in heat and sunlight. Factors such as weather conditions and intensity of sunlight also play a part in how ozone is formed. Ground-level ozone is one of the biggest parts of smog, and it is usually worse in the summer months.

WHO’S AT RISK?

People with heart or lung disease, infants, children with asthma or who spend a lot of time outdoors, older adults, and active people of all ages who exercise or work hard outdoors.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?
            • Check the daily air quality forecast via newspaper, TV, radio, or online at http://airnow.govexternal icon to learn when particle levels are unhealthy
            • Reduce the amount of time outside when pollution is high
            • Plan outdoor activities when ozone levels are lower, usually in the morning and evening
            • Exercise away from roads and highways. Particle pollution is usually worse near these areas
            • Do easier outdoor activities, such as walking instead of running or using a riding lawn mower instead of a push mower
            That's a lot of garbage that you just regurgitated all over this thread...

Unplug!

Comment

I am being honest, and I don’t believe that the primary driver of asthmatics is pollution. I think that a clean environment is a good thing, but I don’t think alarmism is the right way to go about it, even if that wasn’t your intent.

What’s REALLY, REALLY good for humans to thrive is cheap, efficient power. There’s really no reason that we can’t rely on nuclear power for the majority of this, and it’s the cleanest power by a long shot.

Now maybe one day we will be able to drive our battery powered Tesla’s to KC and back without having to charge it for 4 hours, but until then, having one gas powered vehicle in the garage makes sense.
              It's likely a combination of genetics, environment, and behavior. Did you know they've found a strong link between asthma severity and mouth-breathing? Forcing yourself to breath through your nose 24/7 has a whole host of physiological benefits; one is a reduction/elimination of asthmatic symptoms in many cases.

And I didn't say it was THE primary driver, I said it literally creates asthma, and it does. I would say it is A primary driver, particularly in communities with the lowest air quality. It's science.

You use that word alarmism a lot. I think sometimes you confuse "alarmism" with you personally being alarmed. Sometimes facts cause pain, but we cannot run from them. We must accept the discomfort, cope, and come up with solutions.

You called me a fear monger when I brought the facts with Covid. I just brought the facts (and probabilities). You should know better than most on here that there are many uncomfortable things a doctor shares with his patient. I disseminate uncomfortable facts similarly. I search for truth like a crack addict searches for rocks. I know very well that the initial pain is far less than what it will be if I cloak it in delusion.

Originally posted by wufan View Post
              What’s REALLY, REALLY good for humans to thrive is cheap, efficient power.
              I would love to debate this, particularly when you say "humans". "Thrive" must be severely unpacked.

Comment

• Perhaps if we had sent a ****load of money to Paris the past 4 years, we would not have had this cold spell.

Comment

• Cold, are you the poster that comes to sports message boards only to talk about politics now? Seems to me you’re unplugging too many channels.

khan would be proud of you.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Last year's Cold Snap took an economic toll on everyone. People are going to be paying for a decade to recover the costs of the home/business heating that occurred.

Here is an article dealing with what is fair on paying for it. Do the regular citizens (poor too) pay for it or should companies pay for it? What is fair?

28 companies hijacked 200,000 homes’ worth of natural gas during Kansas freeze disaster

The Citizens Utilities Ratepaying Board thinks the KCC is charging the Citizens too much and giving breaks to Houston based Symmetry Energy Solutions, but the the Houston based company has threatened to walk away from the settlement if the KCC goes above a certain amount.

CURB supported waiving the multipliers, but thinks the current settlement proposal may be too generous to the marketers and transportation customers. The agency didn’t sign on to the current settlement, but doesn’t oppose it either because the longer it goes on, the worse it could become for the sales customers, Nickel said. Just waiving the penalty multipliers would have resulted in a $117.2 million liability for the transportation customers and marketers, based on daily spot-market rates for gas during the emergency, Daly said. Of the $65.4 million they’ve agreed to pay for the misappropriated gas, $52.4 million will go to sales customers and $13 million to gas marketers who put more gas into the system than they took out on some days during the emergency. INCREDIBLY HIGH PRICES Before the cold snap, gas was selling on the spot market around $3 per decatherm. Spot-market prices at the height of the emergency peaked at $622.79 for the same amount of gas, more than 200 times the price just a couple of weeks before. To get a settlement, KGS and KCC negotiators agreed to charge the transportation customers and marketers the same price that sales customers were paying for gas during the storm. That made it significantly cheaper for the marketers and transportation customers, because much of the sales customers’ gas was purchased before the winter storm at lower prices.

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...#storylink=cpy
                    Last edited by Shockm; February 21, 2022, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• A Finnish skier competing in a men's cross-country skiing race at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing suffered damage to his equipment on Saturday, but just not the one you'd expect, according to a report.

Remi Lindholm, 24, of Finland, spent over an hour traversing the shortened men's 50km mass start free race in brutal temperatures and howling winds, causing his penis to become frozen, Reuters reported.

"You can guess which body part was a little bit frozen when I finished ... it was one of the worst competitions I've been in," Lindholm told Finnish media. "It was just about battling through."

Now that is cold.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                        https://www.foxnews.com/sports/finni...ijing-olympics

Remi Lindholm, 24, of Finland, spent over an hour traversing the shortened men's 50km mass start free race in brutal temperatures and howling winds, causing his penis to become frozen, Reuters reported.

"You can guess which body part was a little bit frozen when I finished ... it was one of the worst competitions I've been in," Lindholm told Finnish media. "It was just about battling through."

Now that is cold.
                        Now that's dedication to your sport!

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Now that's dedication to your sport!
                          Taking a big chance the ole 'twig and berries' will be permanently out of service...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• It’s so cold my Johnson is three letters short and now just is John.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                              https://www.foxnews.com/sports/finni...ijing-olympics

Now that is cold.
                              Should’ve peed himself like they teach you in survival school.

Comment

• I remember as a kid playing football in the cold, coach would tell us the best place to warm our hands was next to our junk. I never remember that area coming close to freezing.

The ladies of Finland must be totally unsatisfied....
                                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X