No announcement yet.

New Downtown Baseball Stadium, AAA Club, and Associated RE Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would have went with Wind Gust before Wind Surge as a weather term.

Comment

• A giant swing and miss. Wichita Wind is better. They should have just stuck with the Wingnuts honestly, it had grown on the city, it was a successful franchise and rolled off the counter well.

Comment

• How does Wichita continuously foul things up when it comes to sports? This name is horrible and I'd prefer the Wichita Passing Wind than this crap. It's not even relevant here in Wichita or KS. It refers to a storm surge event when hurricane force winds blow ocean water inland. We don't have wind surges here in KS. I literally want to throw a brick at each and every committee member who voted for this dumbarse name to knock some sense into them. Oh well, CO Springs new team was the SkySox and I believed they changed their name at some point so I'll hope this is what will happen to our club.

And why the hell are they putting in natural grass instead of turf?
        Last edited by Shox The Revenant; November 13, 2019, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
          How does Wichita continuously foul things up when it comes to sports? This name is horrible and I'd prefer the Wichita Passing Wind than this crap. It's not even relevant here in Wichita or KS. It refers to a storm surge event when hurricane force winds blow ocean water inland. We don't have wind surges here in KS. I literally want to throw a brick at each and every committee member who voted for this dumbarse name to knock some sense into them. Oh well, CO Springs new team was the SkySox and I believed they changed their name at some point so I'll hope this is what will happen to our club.

And why the hell are they putting in natural grass instead of turf?
          Natural grass is probably an MLB requirement

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Natural grass is probably an MLB requirement
            ... and Natural Gas!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Can't even describe the level of FAIL with this one.

Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

... and Natural Gas!

That apparently is a @wichitabaseball2020 naming requirement

Comment

• #PurgeTheSurge
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Did someone’s elementary schooler discover a thesaurus and replace gust with surge?
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• WBJ survey with limited sample size of 124 shows 91% dislike the name while 31% like the colors and logo.
                      colors are ok with me, but don’t care for the rest.
                      would have liked Wind Sox, Flying Monkeys, Wicked, and about 50 other names.

They will shorten the name to Surge and replace Pegasus with a flying monkey in order to provide a better mascot.

i do think the stadium will be pretty nice now that it’s all coming together.

looking forward to catching a few Surge games when I’m in Wichita.

Comment

• This one is tough for me to stomach. I had some high hopes & have been extremely excited to get affiliated baseball back to Wichita... Grew up watching the Wranglers, attending games, etc. Couple that with the fact that the teasers names were ALL better than the finalized name & it's extremely disappointing. (Not saying the teasers were great, but better than the final product).

The name is absolutely atrocious... Wind Surge. First, is it one word or two? Second, has anyone ever heard the term Wind Surge used organically in the English language even once? Wind I get, but Surge is one of the roughest/uncatchy names I've ever heard. It's not phrenetic, doesn't play on alliteration like River Riders & just doesn't roll off the tongue. I coulda lived with Wind Sox but Wind Surge is corny, lame or insert any other adj you'd like.

Names I woulda liked: 29ers, Bombers, Aviators, Wind Sox, River Riders, Meadowlarks, Larks, Dusters

Then you look at all the online polls from people like the Lutz's, Taylor Eldridge, others around Wichita … the name is usually polling around 80% dislike/hate, 10%-15% like, 0%-5% meh. That shows that whomever was involved in the decision making process either had the worst focus group of all-time, were so detached from reality and/or had only "Yes Men" surrounding them. What a shame.

Lastly, since I was a kid, I've amassed an ungodly amount of NBC Baseball/Minor League/NCAA apparel for the unique logos/team names/etc … and with that being said, I wouldn't pay a dime on any of the apparel listed. The logo is a W with a Pegasus lmfao … one of the lamest logos I've ever seen. Reminds me of a 12u Little League team. And, I read the print out on why the Pegasus was picked, why the team colors were picked & all I could do is smgdh. Yeah, I'm all-in on Wichita revitalization & encouraged by the strides made by DT in the past few years, but a Pegasus isn't baseball, it isn't representative or Wichita and should be used by the local quidditch team or jousting club. The font for the W is garbage. The team colors I'm perfectly fine with, I enjoy the look of the new stadium, but I've decided against season tickets now & won't be purchasing any apparel. Has this affected how many games I'll go to this year? Yes. Will I still attend games? Yes, but versus teams I actually root for … OKC, Omaha, etc.

For anyone curious or want to talk dope MiLB/NBC gear they own:

Some of my favorite gear -- Montgomery Biscuits, Birmingham Barons, Carolina Mudcats, Durham Bulls, Bowie Bay Sox, Pawtucket Red Sox, Vero Beach Dodgers, Boise Hawks, OKC Dodgers, Springfield Cardinals, Lexington Legends, Jackson Generals, Danville Braves, Gwinnett Stripers, Anchorage Glacier Pilots, Liberal Bee Jays, El Dorado Broncos, Santa Barbara Foresters, Cotton State All-Stars
                        Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

• I was initially in the WTF? category, but now I've moved to "meh." Not what I was hoping for with the recent spate of awesome team names (Rocket City Trash Pandas leaps immediately to mind). The uniform sets and hats look really nice though. Alternate name possibilities will likely revolve around the horse. Sky Stallions? Maybe "Los Caballos de Cielo" for the Copa de la Diversion games?
                          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• No matter what they made the mascot, they wouldn't be able to make everybody happy but this is such a fail of epic proportions. Did they do any market research to test the waters with this? This is even more frustrating considering we had to wait for this after the whole confusing, weekly fake name reveal. They made it seem like the fans would be involved in this.

I'm thankful we have a AAA team and a couple of the hats are okay but dammit, why this?

Comment

• As long as we are going down the fart names, honest to god, the Crop Dusters would have been a fantastic choice. Aviation and agriculture... and just funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
                                As long as we are going down the fart names, honest to god, the Crop Dusters would have been a fantastic choice. Aviation and agriculture... and just funny.
                                Or perhaps the Cow Chips in honor of our cowtown heritage.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 14, 2019, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X