Bobby Petrino quits Falcons for Arkansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

link

ROCK HILL, SC—Winthrop Athletics Director Tom Hickman announced today during an afternoon press conference that the contract of head men’s basketball coach Gregg Marshall has been extended for 10 years through the year 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
      Originally posted by newshock1234
      I remember there was a day, that people actually honored their contracts. Im not just talking about coaches, but everyone!

His contact is being honored. We're paying the buyout.
      no im talking about following that contract, not leaving but staying. No buyout or not. In my eyes this is way worse than what saban is. But anyways good luck with your new coach. 14 contracts in 15 years is alot

Was your current basketball coach under contract when he left Winthrop and came to Wichita State?
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

He is a professional job hopper. He has never won with his own players because he never stays anywhere long enough to see the outcome. The longest he has ever stayed in a job was 4 years. Granted, alot of times he was upgrading...but there are lots of programs that are more prestigious than Ark that he can hope for.

I'll be curious to see if he can win beyond 4 years at any school and recruit. Winning Conference USA and the Big East are much easier than getting into the top 3 in the SEC.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound
          He is a professional job hopper. He has never won with his own players because he never stays anywhere long enough to see the outcome. The longest he has ever stayed in a job was 4 years. Granted, alot of times he was upgrading...but there are lots of programs that are more prestigious than Ark that he can hope for.

I'll be curious to see if he can win beyond 4 years at any school and recruit. Winning Conference USA and the Big East are much easier than getting into the top 3 in the SEC.

I'll take 4 years of Petrino winning with Nutt's players.

Comment

How could you say he didn't win with his own players? He went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl in his 4th year at Louisville.

Coaches can get run out of town at any time (Frank Solich even went 9-3 before getting fired), so why hate a guy that looks for the best opportunity?
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

you'll be lucky to get two years at this rate of job hopping

Comment

And then 4 years of losing when he bolts for USC, Notre Dame, etc. and leaves the cupboard bare.

CH...I'm a big Arkansas fan. My parents live near Rogers. I just don't like this hire. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                  I don't blame Petrino one bit.

Good for him for leaving the NFL. He had to find out for himself that he's THE man in college, and only a babysitter in the NFL.

Welcome back to college.
                  this is whats wrong with society, people dont care if your loyal or not. O well i will enjoy espn calling petrino what he is and that is a "coward"
                  Why does he have to be loyal to Atlanta? What did they give him? A promise that they're All World QB will be locked up? He got screwed into a bad situation, and decided that it was best for him and his family to remove themselves from the situation. I don't blame him one bit.

Comment

And then 4 years of losing when he bolts for USC, Notre Dame, etc. and leaves the cupboard bare.

CH...I'm a big Arkansas fan. My parents live near Rogers. I just don't like this hire. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

Why would you think we won't be able to get another good coach if/when Petrino leaves?

Why do you think he's going to leave the cupboard bare?

Why do you think USC and Notre Dame would be jumping all over a job-hopping lying coward as he's been called?

Comment

I'm not saying you couldn't get another good coach, I'm saying if he doesn't recruit well then the next coach will have a team full of mediocre talent.

You've probably seen this article...but just some of the same things you've probably been hearing alot of....

Comment

I'm not saying you couldn't get another good coach, I'm saying if he doesn't recruit well then the next coach will have a team full of mediocre talent.

You've probably seen this article...but just some of the same things you've probably been hearing alot of....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_...ting-into.html

Jason Witlock's take: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7559392

Prep Coaches Sing Petrino's Praises: http://wholehogsports.com/adg/210503

Even if we get burned by Petrino at least we tried.
                        I'm not worried about Petrino possibly leaving. If he leaves we have the resources to get another good coach. NOBODY thought we'd be able to get Petrino, not even me. But the truth is we have great facilities and a lot of money.

Comment

I thought Arkansas would have been better suited if they tried to go after Brian Kelly from cinci.
                          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I don't blame Petrino one bit.

Good for him for leaving the NFL. He had to find out for himself that he's THE man in college, and only a babysitter in the NFL.

Welcome back to college.
                            this is whats wrong with society, people dont care if your loyal or not. O well i will enjoy espn calling petrino what he is and that is a "coward"
                            Why does he have to be loyal to Atlanta? What did they give him? A promise that they're All World QB will be locked up? He got screwed into a bad situation, and decided that it was best for him and his family to remove themselves from the situation. I don't blame him one bit.
                            So if things dont go a certain way or the season dont go a certain way, you can just quit on your team. Players would be benched and punished if they quit on a team, but a coach gets to be in a better situation. Im more of a NFL guy than college guy, so maybe i just got a differenct perpective than some of you, but i think its cowardly of what he did. I would feel totally different if he would have waited after the season to jump ship, but he quit in the middle of the season, i just think he is sending a real bad message to the kind of guy he is. Even Nick Saban finished the year before he jumped ship.

Comment

I thought Arkansas would have been better suited if they tried to go after Brian Kelly from cinci.

No offense but how would you know what suits Arkansas?

Comment

No offense but how would you know what suits Arkansas?
                                IDK, i just know brian Kelly is the next great up and coming coach

Comment

Working...
                                X