No announcement yet.

Bobby Petrino quits Falcons for Arkansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To make him more of a dirtbag, He communicates to the players of the falcons that he is resigning through a letter. Then also he told Arthur Blank 6 before the monday night game that he was for sure staying at atlanta, so Blank went ahead and told the ESPN monday night booth that he was staying
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

You mean he didn't even give a 2 week notice? What an ahole!

I don't have any problem with what he did. I would've done the same thing. When he was hired in Atlanta he didn't sign up for a rebuilding project, they hired him because they wanted an offensive innovator to mold Mike Vick into better qb, and I think he could've done wonders offensively with Vick. It turned out that Vick went to jail and they flipped Schaub for draft picks leaving them garbage qb's. In fact, I think he'd still be there if they hung onto to Schaub, at least he's decent and something to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheaties
        You mean he didn't even give a 2 week notice? What an ####!

I don't have any problem with what he did. I would've done the same thing. When he was hired in Atlanta he didn't sign up for a rebuilding project, they hired him because they wanted an offensive innovator to mold Mike Vick into better qb, and I think he could've done wonders offensively with Vick. It turned out that Vick went to jail and they flipped Schaub for draft picks leaving them garbage qb's. In fact, I think he'd still be there if they hung onto to Schaub, at least he's decent and something to work with.
        You are acting like it is the Falcon's fault that Vick got himself arrest. The reality is that the organization was already a victim in the Vick situation, and Petrino handling the job change the way he did just added insult and injury to the players and owner of a team that has already been dealt a huge blow this year.

I have no problem with Petrino leaving, but he at least needed to tell his players and owner that his leaving was a possibility and that he would be talking to Arkansas, so that they would know in advance what might happen, even if it happened quickly, as it did. That way, no one would be blindsided by this, which was the major problem.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Falcons players bash 'disloyal' Petrino
          Former coach called a 'cancer' on team

By STEVE WYCHE
          The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
          Published on: 12/13/07

Flowery Branch — Falcons rookie defensive end Jamaal Anderson, the team's first-round draft pick from the University of Arkansas, has gotten non-stop calls from players, friends and associates with the Razorbacks football program. They all want to know what type of guy their new coach, Bobby Petrino, is.

"Disloyal," said Anderson, Petrino's first pick as an NFL coach. "If he can leave players here, what makes you think he won't leave the players he's going to coach? I'm just afraid to see what happens if he does bad at Arkansas. Is he going to leave those kids?"

Lots, lots more here:

even 1st round rookie Jamal Andersoon is calling him a coward

Comment

here some other quotes from falcons players

"Everything he preached over the past eight months was a lie," Milloy said. "Everything he said he stood for was a lie. He came in and messed with a lot of people's lives — he wasted a year of my life. It was a cowardly act. A selfish act.

"One thing I'm really [mad] at was while he was having a half-hearted approach to games, he was putting us all at risk. His mind wasn't in it. That explains why he threw a challenge flag a play after he was allowed to. Why we went for it on fourth-and-9 and punted on fourth-and-1. Maybe he was on the phone at Arkansas to the AD at that point.

"The cancer was diagnosed. Never would you want it to be your head coach, your general, to be that cancer, but in our case, it was."

Linebacker Michael Boley said of Petrino's departure: "He took the easy way out. There are a lot of different ways you can handle that. As a man, call us. Come in here for one last team meeting. A note in the locker? That's just saying, 'I can't even look you in the face right now.' That's cowardly."

Added veteran linebacker Keith Brooking: "I've been totally committed to Coach Petrino and everything that he brought to the table. That's why I feel betrayed. It goes a lot deeper than just me. It's Mr. Blank and everything that he's given to us. There is anger inside of me because I bought into Coach Petrino and his beliefs and what he was trying to do with this football team. I feel betrayed with the decision that he made."

Comment

DeAngelo Hall was spittin ether.

Myself I dont have a problem with him leaving. Coaches take new jobs all the time. But the fact of how he did well i wouldnt call it cowardly but due to the rules of this esteemed forum I cant use what I would like to say.

Comment

Why aren't coaches held to the same obligations as the players by the owners? If a player wants to quit a team, he actually has to be a whiny little girl about it.

Coaches sign contracts too, and they should be held to them...
                Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                Students > Alumni
                If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

I'm not "acting" like it's the Falcons fault he got arrested, obviously it's Vick's fault. The ship is sinking/sunk and he gtfo, I don't blame him, that's all.

I've been offered a job that had 1 year contract, didn't end up taking it. If I had took it, showed up and a few months in realized it sucked and we didn't have the right people in place I would left for something else. Kinda like what Patrino did.

Also, if the players need a guy to be mad at, it's Vick. But no, he's the man, "Free Mike Vick". Last 8 months is a lie? Ask Vick about lying.

One thing we can all agree on, he should've called a meeting. Notes are for breaking up in middle school not leaving an NFL team.

Comment

I don't want to say much about this. Petrino wasn't my first choice, but the athletic department has never consulted me on anything (go figure).

Now that he is our coach, I hope he stays here for a long time and wins a national championship here, but who knows. Hiring any coach at this level is a crap-shoot.

I don't think it's right that he didn't tell the team in person, but then again to be honest I don't feel too bad for the spoiled millionaires. People are acting like he did this to children. We're talking about grown men. There is a reason they call it professional football. It's their job. They should stop whining.

They say his head wasn't in the game but they were more concerned about showing off their "Free Mike Vick" t-shirts than playing hard on Monday night from what I saw. They SUCK. Maybe they should worry about their own play a little more. Maybe they are trying to put all this on Petrino so people will think that's the reason they sucked this year, and not just that they are a crappy team (which, they are).

The Falcons season is over. Let's stop pretending. They are 3-10. The only thing they are playing for is draft position. Why should Petrino stay the final three meaningless games? We need him here to recruit and evaluate our team.

ESPN is ignoring the fact that the recruiting dead period starts Dec. 15. He only has a few days to visit our recruits. Kids that are choosing what school they are going to commit to for the next 3-5 years deserve to know who our coach is going to be, and hear from him, so they can make an informed decision.

Besides all that, a few years ago the Falcons (Arthur Blank) fired Dan Reeves with 3 games remaining in the season. I guess what's okay for them to do isn't okay for a coach to do to them.

I also think it's funny that ESPN is acting like Petrino is the worst person on the planet when a guy on their staff did the exact same thing 31 years ago. Lou Holtz left the 3-10 Jets to come to Arkansas. (as somebody mentioned earlier). They should fire Holtz since clearly he's a POS that can't be trusted.

Okay I guess that wasn't just a few words, but whatever. haha.

Comment

I remember there was a day, that people actually honored their contracts. Im not just talking about coaches, but everyone!

Comment

I don't blame Petrino one bit.

Good for him for leaving the NFL. He had to find out for himself that he's THE man in college, and only a babysitter in the NFL.

Welcome back to college.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
                          I remember there was a day, that people actually honored their contracts. Im not just talking about coaches, but everyone!

His contact is being honored. We're paying the buyout.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog

no im talking about following that contract, not leaving but staying. No buyout or not. In my eyes this is way worse than what saban is. But anyways good luck with your new coach. 14 contracts in 15 years is alot

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                              I don't blame Petrino one bit.

Good for him for leaving the NFL. He had to find out for himself that he's THE man in college, and only a babysitter in the NFL.

Welcome back to college.
                              this is whats wrong with society, people dont care if your loyal or not. O well i will enjoy espn calling petrino what he is and that is a "coward"

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog

no im talking about following that contract, not leaving but staying. No buyout or not. In my eyes this is way worse than what saban is. But anyways good luck with your new coach. 14 contracts in 15 years is alot

Was your current basketball coach under contract when he left Winthrop and came to Wichita State?

Comment

Working...
                                X