Postseason Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postseason Bid

Now that the men know where they are going and who they'll be playing, the women are on the clock to find out their fate in the next 24 hours. Will it be the WNIT, the WBI, or nothing at all?

The WNIT expanded to 64 teams this year, however that's a bit deceiving because there are 31 automatic qualifiers, one from each conference. Illinois State will receive the automatic bid from the Valley after winning the regular season title before falling to UNI in the tournament.

Hard to figure that the WNIT would take three more Valley teams in the at-large pool (Creighton, MSU and WSU). I think Creighton is a lock, but the other two are pretty iffy. WSU's three wins over the Lady Bears might help their cause here if it comes down to a head-to-head.

The WBI takes a total of 16 teams, and is more of a buy-in tournament. The home teams keep all the revenue and road teams are paid to travel, so its hard to tell how that might work out. I would assume interest is high in this for the Shockers, just the chance to have another few days of practice and another game could be huge for this young team.

I think the Shockers are knocking on the door of a postseason bid, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in, or out.

I heard from an Oral Roberts parent that they might be coming to Wichita to play

Comment

Oral Roberts would be a good test for the Shocks.

The national perception of women's hoops in the Valley shown in UNI's selection as a No. 16-seed taking on No. 1-seed Nebraska in the first round. I think it's time the conference really dedicates itself to improving the women's basketball product. Two-straight years with No. 16-seeds is a disgrace. Some of that is on Illinois State to finish it off in the tournament, but still. :(

Comment

The MVC women's game won't take a step forward until the league's officiating stops penalizing athleticism. It is time to start calling the game in the Valley the way it is in the larger conferences. Until we do, we can continue to look forward to the representative we send being one and done.
        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Apparently we are playing in the WBI. We are a 4-seed and will be hosting Akron on Thursday at 7:05.

"Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Congratulations! Man, what a step the program has taken in just two years!

:clap: :wsu_posters: :yahoo: :clap:

Comment

This team and staff should be commended. Picked ninth, they are one of six Valley teams in the postseason. I realize the WBI is not the most prestigious of tournaments in its first year of existence, but to even be playing past the MVC Tournament is a big deal regardless.

To go from dead last in the conference to a postseason bid in two years is really an outstanding accomplishment. Everyone involved in the program from donors, administration and players and coaches should be proud.

This tournament has some name value to it as well. Washington is involved as is Louisville, a year removed from playing in the national championship game. This type of experience can only help this young team prepare for next year and the possibility of making a run in the Valley Tournament for a bid to the Wichita regional at IBA. Let's get out and support the girls Thursday night. It should be fun.

Comment

Hosting a game in the WBI, especially for this young team, is probably a better fate than they would have had if they had won the MVC Tournament this year.

UNI is rewarded with a 16 seed and a first round loss to Nebraska. This is the 2nd year in a row that the MVC's sole bid in the NCAA Tourney was assigned a 16 seed.

Of course, that happens when you have the big upsets that seem pretty common in the women's MVC Tournament. OTOH, having their best teams in the NIT gives the MVC a better chance of doing well in that tournament.

The Shocks at least have a shot at playing more than one game in the WBI. Very likely that UNI will be one (and it could be an ugly one) and done in the NCAA.

Comment

SHOX win 67 - 61

Excellent job after the "small conversation at half"
                  Great effort - enjoy the time in post season!!
                  Proof hard work, effort, being smarter than your opponent = rewards!!
                  GO SHOX!

Comment

Hard to believe but that was the Lady Shockers' FIRST EVER post-season win outside of the MVC Tournament. Of course someone had to create a new tournament for that to happen.

It certainly did not look like it was going happen in the 1st half. The Shocks looked totally disinterested for most of the half and looked all-the-world like they were going to continue the moribund week for Shocker teams.

The Shockers were playing with only 7 players. They had 8 players suited up but only 7 played. Chynna was on the floor for 16 minutes in the 1st half but she should not have been credited with any playing time. A more lackadaisical effort I don't think I have ever seen. In the second half, Chynna not only did not play she did not step on the court. I thought Chynna might be sick, but Jody clearly took a shot at Chynna in her post-game comments so she apparently was not sick. Jody did not name Chynna but it was obvious who she was referring to. If Chynna continues with that level of effort I'm not sure Jody will be willing to waste her scholarship.

Shocks trailed a very average (at best) Akron team 37-26 at half.

Apparently, Jody's half time message got through. The Shocks held the Zips without a field goal for about the 1st 9:30 of the second half. They outsocred the Zips 41 - 24 in the second half. They were not great, but they really hustled in the second half. They could have made things easier on themselves if they had shot their FT's better, but at least they battled back. The 7 kids that played in the second half were pretty tired by the end of the game I think.

Not sure why Dannah did not suit up. I assume she is injured.

Crowd of about 300 (I'm guessing) showed up to support the Ladies on the first night of the NCAA men's tournament. If you were one of those count yourself as a true Shocker fan.

Shocks play next at Memphis on Sunday at 2:00 pm.

Hopefully, they will be ready to get after it from the opening tip.

:goshocks:

Comment

Box score has the attendance at 892.

Thought the Zips were disciplined in their first half offensive sets, were a good screening team, shot the ball pretty well and didn't miss a free throw until their legs were gone at the end. Have to give them some credit for making the Shocks look bad early but there were some clear lapses on the Shox defensive end as well.

At the end of they day our pressure got to them. We not only caused turnovers, we also ate up the shot clock on most of their possessions in the second half. I remember looking up on one Akron possession where we applied fairly routine pressure (nothing exceptional) and realizing that they had just crossed the half court line and only 14 seconds were left on the shot clock.

Obviously our effort was much better in the second half but I also think we looked like the much better conditioned team as well. They seemed to lose their legs down the stretch and could not really mount much of an effort.

Probably shouldn't have been down nine at the half but kudos to the Shox for a tremendous second half. It was a lot of fun to watch, wish more people would have been there.
                      The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Need less to say Shocker fan should be ashamed of themselves for not at least putting 1000 in the stands. So much for Wichita being a basketball town. This team deserves better.

Comment

I'm not that surprised.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

If there was 892 in attendance most of them must have been on the west side of the arena where I sit. There were only about 100 folks on the East half of the arena.

Comment

I think the fans will start to come out. I believe Coach Smith's teams drew reasonable crowds. I know I had never gone to a WSU women's game before his teams and went to a fair number. During Albright's tenure, I really didn't care to watch the product, but now have started to go back. I need to do more games next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X