No announcement yet.

Softball Recruit Has Enticing Stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read that article on the recruiting class. It sure looks good on paper. It looks like the Shockers got themselves a really good pitcher. I really enjoy watching women's softball. I'm glad to see more and more people are learning to appreciate it.

I see the Shockers softball stadium seats about 1,000. What is the average attendance? Who are the powers in the MVC?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
      Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      Not only did Kasha have a 0.00 ERA in her senior season but she gave up 0.96 hits per seven innings pitched. That's about as close to unhittable as you can get.

I suppose the only question mark is how good was the competition she faced. Still the numbers are hard to ignore.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:
      Having thought about this a little more, the natural laws of luck should get you more hits than that per 7 innings.........that number is almost hard to believe. Actually, not almost; it's damned hard to comprehend.
      While I tend to agree with you Doc, hitting a Top-Quality fast pitch softball pitcher, man or woman, is not the easiest task in the world. If you have never faced a good rise ball, followed by a nasty curve, then a knee buckling change up you don't know what your missing. Of course, in my case 3 fastballs would pretty much do me in.

I'm not sure what NCAA rules allow, but I always thought a good fund raiser for the Softball team would be to invite folks (especially guys) out to Wilkins stadium for a shot at hitting the Shocks top pitchers. 5 pitches for $25 bucks. I would be willing to contribute $50 bucks just to be able to avoid the embarrassment.

Comment

Not only did Kasha have a 0.00 ERA in her senior season but she gave up 0.96 hits per seven innings pitched. That's about as close to unhittable as you can get.

I suppose the only question mark is how good was the competition she faced. Still the numbers are hard to ignore.

Having thought about this a little more, the natural laws of luck should get you more hits than that per 7 innings.........that number is almost hard to believe. Actually, not almost; it's damned hard to comprehend.
        While I tend to agree with you Doc, hitting a Top-Quality fast pitch softball pitcher, man or woman, is not the easiest task in the world. If you have never faced a good rise ball, followed by a nasty curve, then a knee buckling change up you don't know what your missing. Of course, in my case 3 fastballs would pretty much do me in.

I'm not sure what NCAA rules allow, but I always thought a good fund raiser for the Softball team would be to invite folks (especially guys) out to Wilkins stadium for a shot at hitting the Shocks top pitchers. 5 pitches for $25 bucks. I would be willing to contribute $50 bucks just to be able to avoid the embarrassment.
        1. I'd be scared to death of getting shown up by a girl (and it would definitely happen)
        2. Those balls move too damned fast for me (not gonna stand in the box)
        3. I'd look like an idiot (not that I need help)
        4. I am just not that crazy

Comment

No doubt liability concerns would prevent such an event from ever happening.

I'm not that worried about getting hit. Now a heart attack from fear, that's another issue altogether.

:D

Comment

Try having a left handed Daughter that threw 12 different pitches and a 60 mph fastball...from 40' away it gets there damn fast.....I could foul a few off (and I knew which pitch was coming)....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by GarH
              I see the Shockers softball stadium seats about 1,000. What is the average attendance? Who are the powers in the MVC?
              Good questions. Thought I would see what I could find out along these lines.

Shocks averaged about 350 per date in 2007.

Over the past five years here is how the teams stack up based on their MVC records:

Southern Illinois 92-28
              Illinois State 88-40-1
              Wichita State 82-44
              Creighton 79-45-1
              Missouri State 68-56
              Drake 54-67
              Evansville 55-77
              Bradley 41-82

I could not determine 5 year records for UNI and Indiana State but I'm pretty sure they were in the bottom half of the league.

The Shocks best year came in 2005 when they went 46-18 Overall and a MVC record of 22-4 under Tim Walton who left for the Florida job after that season. The Shocks really improved in Tim Walton's 4 years.

I'm not sure that there are any real powerhouses in the MVC, but the level of softball is similar to that of MVC Volleyball. The top 3 or 4 teams in any year are probably just a notch below the national powers but are capable of being competitive with those teams.

Comment

1972Shocker, thanks for a very informative reply!

With the caliber of pitcher it looks like the Shockers are bringing in, maybe they can get to the top of the Valley. An appearance in Oklahoma City would sure boost attendance bigtime.

Comment

Most people have no idea how exciting and entertaining womens softball games can be. I've been lucky enough to experience it. 2500 fans screaming UA and UCLA going after it. It's as exciting as baseball. Mowatt showed as much grit last year in Oklahoma as any athlete I've ever seen in any sport. If the pitcher the Shockers are bringing in is as good it looks like, Shocker fans will be in for a real treat.

I know some people think I'm crazy going on about softball like this, but I've seen it. The UA baseball team won the NC in 76, 80 and 86, but the womens team averages about 3 times as much in attendance as the baseball team.

Comment

I'm sure the looks of some of those UA girls helps attendance. I've seen them on ESPN and there're some hotties. :D
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock

1. I'd be scared to death of getting shown up by a girl (and it would definitely happen)
                      2. Those balls move too damned fast for me (not gonna stand in the box)
                      3. I'd look like an idiot (not that I need help)
                      4. I am just not that crazy
                      I would try it. I already know that Sara would kill me in VB, Jackie would kill me in tennis, etc. so I already know I could be "shown up by a girl" and, as long as it is a Shocker girl, I don't care. :D :lol:
                      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Most people have no idea how exciting and entertaining womens softball games can be. I've been lucky enough to experience it. 2500 fans screaming UA and UCLA going after it. It's as exciting as baseball. Mowatt showed as much grit last year in Oklahoma as any athlete I've ever seen in any sport. If the pitcher the Shockers are bringing in is as good it looks like, Shocker fans will be in for a real treat.

I know some people think I'm crazy going on about softball like this, but I've seen it. The UA baseball team won the NC in 76, 80 and 86, but the womens team averages about 3 times as much in attendance as the baseball team.
                        All three of my daughters played fast pitch softball through high school. Two of them played on travelling teams in the summers. I spent many a weekend baking in the hot Midwest sun when they might play 3 or 4 games in a day.

One of the problems with softball from a fans perspective is that it tends to be low scoring and pticher dominated (at least high level fast pitch softball does). On the other hand, because of this games are usually very close and every at bat and every hit or error might determine the outcome of the game. Also, speed is a key component in softball.

I do know this. These ladies put in as much work developing their softball skills as the guys do in baseball. In fact, the top fast pitch softball pitchers put in an unbelievable amount of work developing their skills.

Comment

SubGod22, Jennie Finch was probably the hottest of the UA players. How could someone that hot be able to win 60+ straight games playing in the PAC? I've never been much for blonds but she was just plain hot. Still is.

Comment

I've never been much for blonds...
                            GarH, do you need to visit your doc? :shock:
                            SFL is back!

Comment

Enjoy the Jennie Finch challenge:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Here is a brunette for GarH:

Comment

Working...
                                X