No announcement yet.

Eagle WBB article coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You definitely don't have to be a softie nor is that necessarily even desirable. However, there is a difference between being tough and hard-nosed and being a mean-spirited person at the core.

Hopefully, Jody is the former and is just going through some growing pains in her development compounded by the major change in culture she has brought to bear on the WSU women's program.

I want to win as much as the next guy, but I think doing things the right way and treating people the right way are desirable qualities.

No doubt Jody has put herself in a position where she will be under close scrutiny by the administration, press and fans (or at least she should be).

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      You definitely don't have to be a softie nor is that necessarily even desirable. However, there is a difference between being tough and hard-nosed and being a mean-spirited person at the core.

Hopefully, Jody is the former and is just going through some growing pains in her development compounded by the major change in culture she has brought to bear on the WSU women's program.

I want to win as much as the next guy, but I think doing things the right way and treating people the right way are desirable qualities.

No doubt Jody has put herself in a position where she will be under close scrutiny by the administration, press and fans (or at least she should be).
      :good:

We'll see what happens
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'm not trying to make excuses for Jody and what certain players/parents have said, but one year at WSU is not evidence enough for me to judge her future.

There is no doubt the coaching style, and possible the type of players recruited, are like day and night from Jane to Jody. To me, this can make up a lot of the "abuse" feelings. I also look at Jody's history as both a head, assistant coach, and player. I find particularly interesting her tenure at SIU where players looked to her as someone they could talk to. Her experience as a PG at TN I'm sure has made her a no nonsense, intense, and driven to win type of person.

Now she finds herself as head coach at a program that needs a lot of turning around and that has a good fan base that expects a winner. The pressure's on and how she grows as a head coach/person will determine her future. Will she continue to learn from all her experiences? We probably won't know that for at least a couple of years. At least I feel the potential for success is now much greater that its been.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

This is just my take on this situation. I am not trying to put anyone down here, please do not take it that way!

I think Jody see's it takes the type of person who is not only an athlette to play at this level, but someone who is very tough and tough minded. The women have to work as hard as the men. The same performance standards are required, as the men.

I have coached womens basketball, admittly at the junior high level, but some women (men too) are to sensitive. They may be good players, but they just don't understand what it takes to be all you can be. Again, this is not to call anyone out. It is what it is.

Jane had a different approach and recruited accordingly. Now Jody has a different approach, and is recruiting accordingly to her approach. Some will not like it, but the same can be said about some mens programs.

I like Jody's way better than Jane's way. Time will tell if Jody's way is what is best for WSU womens basketball.

I for one do not see the "abuse" in this situation. More like "reality" of what womens college basketball has developed into. I don't think we blame Jody or Jane.

It is what it is, and I like it better.

It proves women can work as hard, be as tough as, talented as, dedicated as much as, the men.

What I see is a winner!

:goshocks:

Comment

shocklight: I'm pretty sure I disagree with your implied criticism of the players who are leaving. At least in some cases, the playes were "gym rats" for whom effort was not the issue. Players who thought Jane was way too soft.
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
              shocklight: I'm pretty sure I disagree with your implied criticism of the players who are leaving. At least in some cases, the playes were "gym rats" for whom effort was not the issue. Players who thought Jane was way too soft.
              Agreed
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I still think this comes down to some things happening that none of us are aware of. I'm not defending anyone here, but sometimes when these things happen, it's because individual(s) stepped out of line. Now obviously someone did here, but no one knows who.

I still can't help but think that part of this comes down to they just didn't like the way things changed from soft to not soft at all.

Comment

While the on court performance of the team has not been what we would like and while the level of basbetball talent might be debatable, there is little question in my mind about the ladies effort on and off the court. That effort was not rewarded with a winning record on the court, but the off-court efforts were and should be applauded:

WBB Named to Academic Top 25 Honor Roll

WICHITA -- The Wichita State women's basketball program has been honored by the Women's Basketball Coaches Association to the 2008-09 WBCA Academic Top 25 Team Honor Roll as announced on Thursday.

:clap:

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                    I still think this comes down to some things happening that none of us are aware of. I'm not defending anyone here, but sometimes when these things happen, it's because individual(s) stepped out of line. Now obviously someone did here, but no one knows who.

I still can't help but think that part of this comes down to they just didn't like the way things changed from soft to not soft at all.
                    What we say here doesn't really matter. I think it is possible that "individual(s) stepped out of line" - the question to be asked is "Were those individuals on the team or on the coaching staff?" (I could be more specific but it really doesn't matter; if we knew a new coach had a grudge against a specific player from the first day and let the player know this from the start, would it change anything? The player is still leaving and the coach is the coach; it's water under the bridge.)

Jody is the coach. We should hope she has success, treats her players well, sets high academic standards, etc. I'm not a big fan of WBB so it doesn't really matter much to me. Anything after Jane has to be an improvement. Right?
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Spangler and SubGod,

Maybe the two of you know inside things that many of us do not know. If this is the case, there isn't much I can say, other than I don't know anything specific.

My point was not to call out any individual player(s). More like the type of player the two coaches would recruit. Many players leave their schools each year, men and womens for different reasons. Usually they don't like how things are done. It appears that is what's going on here.

I am not ready to call the current situation "abuse", some may based upon their knowledge. But, from what I know, I don't see it.

Some thought Bobby Knight was abusive and some didn't. To watch a Roy Williams practice (which I have), some would call him abusive.

My point was more to the fact that this coaching staff, compared to the last are completly different (is that good or bad, who knows) and the type of player is going to be differnt also. I happen to like Jody's way better (that's just me).

I'm just not there on the "abuse" thing.

Comment

I'm not jumping on the abuse thing. I just know a couple who have left are far from soft. Many have implied that's why certain players left. And for some that may have been a factor. Definitely not for all.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by shocklight
                          To watch a Roy Williams practice (which I have), some would call him abusive.
                          The only abusive thing about Roy "Huckleberry Hound" William's practice was his incesant blatherings of "Oh My Darling"...

"If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right," athletic director Jim Schaus said. "If we're going to put 'Wichita State' across our chest, then every team is going to matter."

Comment

Spangler and SubGod,

Maybe the two of you know inside things that many of us do not know. If this is the case, there isn't much I can say, other than I don't know anything specific.
                            Then why not drop the subject? I don't think I have used the word "abuse" and I don't plan to now. I'm not "pro-Jody" or "anti-Jody." However, when some people speculate (without any real information) about the situation and get it wrong, I feel obligated to step in. What if we all drop the subject?

I think WSU WBB will have a much better record under Jody. This is why she was hired. I was never a fan of Jane and nothing I have learned since she left has changed my opinion. I hope we give Jody a chance to prove herself; the Athletic Department will have its eye on her to check for abuse. Let's trust them and go on to a new topic.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                              Spangler and SubGod,

Then why not drop the subject? I don't think I have used the word "abuse" and I don't plan to now. I'm not "pro-Jody" or "anti-Jody." However, when some people speculate (without any real information) about the situation and get it wrong, I feel obligated to step in. What if we all drop the subject?

I think WSU WBB will have a much better record under Jody. This is why she was hired. I was never a fan of Jane and nothing I have learned since she left has changed my opinion. I hope we give Jody a chance to prove herself; the Athletic Department will have its eye on her to check for abuse. Let's trust them and go on to a new topic.
                              Agreed!

Comment

Working...
                              X