Eagle WBB article coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle WBB article coming

Paul Suellentrop was at long last, able to get some answers from several of the players who were involved in the mass exodus from the Shocker WBB team. The intimidation tactics used by Coach Adams finally hold no sway over the players. (Don't worry---no water-boarding was used!) Anticipate it will be in tomorrow's paper.

The male practice players, to the best of my knowledge, answered reporters questions with "no comment." Let's say Jody can "project." :D
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Interesting that when Jody was an assistant at SIU, she was the coach that the players went to when all the turmoil was going on between the players and the head coach. The job that Jody and her coaching staff did with Marcy and Daria in particular and the (short-handed) team as a whole was pretty amazing. I believe her recruiting class for this coming year will be one of the best in a long time for the Lady Shox. All this, plus her playing history and other coaching stints, would lead me to believe she knows what she's doing and pushing the right buttons.

It appears that Sexton knew there was going to be a tough transition from Albright to Adams and he or Endicott kept close tabs on the team's athletic activities. Also, the team's grade point average continued to do as well or better as it did under Albright.

There is no doubt that the change in coaching styles was going to be at least eye-opening for some players and traumatic for others. I'm sure some of the complaints by the leaving players have merit as well some complaints over blown due to circumstances.

I feel the complaintants believe in what they are saying and that they should public say it. I'm not going to take a position on the public expose' part, however, I don't blame the girls for the first part. I blame the previous coaching staff. This is D1 women's basketball, not something between YMCA ball and intramural sports. Under the previous "sweetheart" coach and staff, WSU had one of the consistantly worst teams in a weak conference, yet they saw no need in spending more than 65% of the time allotted to improving their status quo. If Jody said it, perhaps she was right. If you're taught that you only need to put in 65% of the time necessary to be as good as you can in life endeavors, maybe you will suck.

As for me, Jody more than deserves a pass at this time. We'll see what transpires over the next couple of years. Hopefully, Sexton will get with Jody and the two of them will iron out any "out of line situations" that actually exist.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

i agree with that last post...mostly. i've been a critic of the albright regime, and a believer that adams CAN turn things around.but i do believe there is a very real difference between being 'tough' and being abusive.i think it's responsible to hear out the voices of the departed, if for no other reason than to not go down that path again.

Comment

Jody may deserve a "pass" at this time, but her program should continue to be closely monitored by Eric and Becky. A "pass" should not mean to simply ignore the accusations being made. The sheer number of players that have left in of and itself should raise the level of concern, even with the big difference in coaching styles from Jane to Jody.

Clearly, Jody is a much, much tougher taskmaster than Jane. However, if her toughness steps over the line to being abusive and racist then that is not acceptable. Nor is violating NCAA practice restrictions.

I would like to hear what Marcy and Daria would have to say on the matter, although I'm not holding my breath that will happen.

I hope Jody is successful at WSU but while winning is important it needs to be done the right way. There is no doubt that the program needed a dose of toughness and discipline. That can be done without being abusive or racist and without breaking rules.

Jody, at the very least, needs to do a thorough and honest review of her own actions and, if necessary, make the appropriate adjustments in her approach while still binging the extra toughness and discipline the program needs.

Comment

This issue should have been headed off at the pass by the AD. He supposedly recognized the issues, but what did he do to give the players an outlet to vent? What kind of guidance did he give the coach? Instead, they (except for Siemens) vent to the media which causes embarrassment to the program and school.

For me, the jury is still out on the AD at WSU.

Comment

Obviously, some of you have never been to 'Bootcamp'. I have played for coaches that you 'either cut it or were told to go elsewhere' in plain talk. I think the girls are just 'whining'.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                Obviously, some of you have never been to 'Bootcamp'. I have played for coaches that you 'either cut it or were told to go elsewhere' in plain talk. I think the girls are just 'whining'.
                I agree
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

OK Snap and newshock. I was trying to be politically correct in my post, but I do believe you could apply at least some 'whinning' to it. That's why I was comparing the coaching staffs. After all, Albright was recruiting her style of players for her style of coaching -- then in comes Adams and all sorts of stuff hits the fan. Jody has learned from one of the best in Pat Summitt and I'd be very surprised if she'd deviate much from those teachings.

molly and '72 - Your points are why I added the last line in my post. So agreed, but let's remember that there may be a difference between what does exist and what may exist.

Sexton has set himself and his department out there for inspection. That's to his credit. He has also made some very clear-cut statements regarding Jody's first year in charge. As with any AD department, the details to arriving at those statements are, at this time, none of our business.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

I talked to one of the male practice players. He said Jody would yell at the assistant coaches and they would yell at the practice squad. He didn't take it personally and said it was no worse than high school football.

The abuses, according to the former players, took place outside of practices. As far as I know, no "outsiders" were present at these times and so it is impossible to know the truth. It is curious that the former players seem to be painting a consistent picture; there may be more to this than Shocker fans wish to admit. However I think Jody gets the benefit of the doubt until some more substantial evidence is offered. If, for example, a former player had tracked her practice hours and could show this to the NCAA, WSU might have some concerns if they averaged more than 20 hours per week.
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas
                      This issue should have been headed off at the pass by the AD. He supposedly recognized the issues, but what did he do to give the players an outlet to vent? What kind of guidance did he give the coach? Instead, they (except for Siemens) vent to the media which causes embarrassment to the program and school.

For me, the jury is still out on the AD at WSU.
                      Couldn't agree more.
                      The good Dr AD may have nice dental work and is a professional hand shaker, but this issue screams for instant damage control.
                      He better get with his sidekick Ms. Becky and get this under wraps before the liberal media types grab it and really beat the drum.
                      To be specific, if the message gets out to recruiters that WSU is now the 'Grambling of the Midwest', the program is doomed. Point being, if JA is perceived as a 'white athletes are inferior' type she will paint the program into a corner they won't emerge from for years.
                      Do you really think the family of any top white players in the country would want their daughter going to a program that has this type of reputation?
                      Give me a break.
                      I still point the finger back to the head Dr in charge.
                      He had to know this was brewing and required the utmost in attention. To allow it to fester and reach the public airwaves is inexcusable.
                      If not immediately addressed, the impact of this will cause a stench in the Athletic Dept that will require more than a good puff of wind to blow it away. 8)
                      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

I think Eric Sexton is a fine individual. If the former players feel that the athletics department ignored their complaints, then perhaps this was handled poorly. However I think this may be more on Jim Schaus than on Eric Sexton; the people in athletics were "Jim's people" for 9 years.

Comment

Does anybody else remember a quote this year from our overachieving senior that she wished she could play one more year for JA? Maybe she could have been contacted for this story.

I don't think Eric would put his head in the sand. Maybe the issue was discussed with JA. It wouldn't be necessary or wise for him to comment about it now.

Comment

How can a such a demanding, fiery coach ever think that she could successfully coach D1 Women's basketball? I mean the yelling and screaming, who would ever put up with that?

/sarcasm
                            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                              I think Eric Sexton is a fine individual. If the former players feel that the athletics department ignored their complaints, then perhaps this was handled poorly. However I think this may be more on Jim Schaus than on Eric Sexton; the people in athletics were "Jim's people" for 9 years.
                              I think he is a nice guy too. However, that has little to do with taking care of business. He is the BCOC and needs to get it together.
                              It's also irrelevant that JS hired the coach in the middle of this mess. JS is gone and it's Eric's turn to run the show. That's why they pay him the big $$$.
                              Now it's time to earn it. 8)
                              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Working...
                              X