Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocker Softball at Sleep Inn Classic (Denton, TX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Softball at Sleep Inn Classic (Denton, TX)

The Shocks head to Denton for the University of North Texas-hosted Sleep Inn Classic this weekend.

They play Central Arkansas and Butler on Friday, Missouri State and Iowa State on Saturday and North Texas on Sunday.

The Central Arkansas Bears are members of the Southland Conference and were a preseason pick for tenth of eleven spots. They return four players from a team that was 6-43 a year ago. (Not too surprisingly, they have a new head coach.) They are 4-6 this season.

The Butler Bulldogs are members of the Horizon League and were picked seventh out of nine places in the preseason poll. This tournament opens their season.

Missouri State was a preseason pick for sixth in the Valley and are 2-3 this season.

Iowa State was picked last of the ten schools playing softball in the Big 12. They are 9-1 this year, winning a tournament hosted by Bradley (5-3 winners against the Braves) and going 5-1 in a triple round-robin at Jacksonville.

The University of North Texas Mean Green are members of the Sun Belt Conference are preseason picks for fifth of nine teams. They are 3-2 (pending a DH they are playing today) this season. At a tournament in Corpus Christi, they lost twice to Creighton (1-5, 3-4) and beat Indiana State (2-1).

This tournament is definitely a step down strength-wise from their two previous tournaments. None of these teams have played in a tournament the quality of the two the Shockers have played in.

Shockers come from behind with 3 runs in the 7th to take a 5-4 lead and then hung on for dear life as Central Arkansas advanced the tying run to 3rd before Shocks were able to get the last out.

Comment

The Shocks win their first game of the tournament, beating the UCA Sugar Bears, 5-4. This was not a pretty game.

Jamie started and went the first five innings. She gave up two runs on three hits (one being a solo homer) and two walks with two strikeouts.

Kara homered in the first for the Shocks and a Jamie Hull double and Jamie Stanclift single plated another run in the fourth. So we are tied, 2-2, after five innings.

Breezy came into pitch the bottom of the sixth. A single, wild pitch, single, sac bunt and error by BreAnna at short yield two runs for UCA. So we go to the top of the seventh, trailing 4-2.

A Tiffany Dahlquist homer is sandwiched by two outs. But then a single by Kiersten, a double by Kara (RBI) and a single by Heather (RBI) and we have the lead, 5-4.

The bottom of the seventh is an adventure. Errors by Breezy and BreAnna put runners at first and second with one out. But a ground out and pop out and we escape.

5-10-4 for the Shocks, 4-6-0 for UCA.

Other results:

10am game
      Iowa State 6-1 Missouri State

1230pm games
      North Texas 7-4 Iowa State
      UCA 5-1 Butler

3pm game
      Missouri State 2-1(8 inn) North Texas

Comment

Don't look now, but Kasha is ..........................

Better keep my mouth shut. Don't want to jinx anything.

:goshocks:

Comment

Okay, I'll take the heat. :)

Kasha has 11 Ks through five innings and has allowed only a double. Shocks ahead 7-0 with a big six-run fourth (Kara homered in the first) and working to get a run-rule in the bottom of the fifth.

Comment

Kasha finishes off the 7-inning, 3-hit, 13 K shut out of Butler as the Shocks win 7-0 despite flyingMoose's effort at sabatoge! ;-)

Very happy for Kasha.

Not only did she need a boost after a rocky start to her college career, but I think it shows she is a tough-minded and resilient young lady.

Comment

We are off to a good start, the only team to finish 2-0 on the day. But we arguably played the two weakest teams there.

Hopefully, we can have a good day against Missouri State and Iowa State tomorrow.

Comment

No doubt the level of compedtition was a notch or two bleow what we faced in our first two weekends of play, but nevertheless the confidence boost is probablyworthwhile at this point, especially for Kasha.

Today will be a good measuring stick as to weather or not we are ready for conference play.

Comment

Mo State 3 WSU 1, if I heard correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Pitch
                    Considering we were outhit 14-4 I suppose we were very fortunate that it was that close. Brianna must have been in trouble throughout the game.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                      Considering we were outhit 14-4 I suppose we were very fortunate that it was that close. Brianna must have been in trouble throughout the game.
                      Missouri State had ten LOB in six innings. This is a fairly typical performance for Breezy - she allows lots of baserunners. Well, maybe just a few more baserunners than normal today, but people do get on against her.

We scored on back-to-back doubles by Kiersten and Kara in the sixth.

Interestingly, the Bears chose to start their freshman pitcher (Natalie Rose) against us, but we did not use Kasha against them.

Comment

Shocks drop a 1-0 decision to Iowa State this evening despite outhitting the Cyclones 7-3.

Another solid 3-hit outing by Kasha. Unfortunately, one of the hits was a solo homer in 4th and the Shocks offense was unable to get the key hits needed to score. Kara L'Huillier struck out to end the game with the tying run in scoring position and the winning run on 1st.

2 solid outings by Kasha this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose
                          Missouri State had ten LOB in six innings. This is a fairly typical performance for Breezy - she allows lots of baserunners. Well, maybe just a few more baserunners than normal today, but people do get on against her.

Interestingly, the Bears chose to start their freshman pitcher (Natalie Rose) against us, but we did not use Kasha against them.
                          I believe Natalie Rose is Mo State's #2 or #3 pitcher. So it looks like both teams didn't want to use their #1 against a conference team. If I am Pooch, I think I would rather run Kasha out there and get myself a win. But then again I am coaching from a cozy office chair in front of a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose

I believe Natalie Rose is Mo State's #2 or #3 pitcher. So it looks like both teams didn't want to use their #1 against a conference team. If I am Pooch, I think I would rather run Kasha out there and get myself a win. But then again I am coaching from a cozy office chair in front of a computer.
                            Hmmm, looking at the MSU stats, there may be three #2 pitchers. I assumed the order was McGinley, Rose, Supak, but there may be no order yet. But Supak getting the start against Butler makes her their #3 for now for me. Nevertheless, I still think you are guaranteed to see Rose at some point in the conference when we play the DH with them, just as they are guaranteed to see Kasha. So now we see Rose for the second time and they see Kasha for the first time. Whether it makes any difference at all remains to be seen.

Comment

Shocks drop a 1-0 decision to Iowa State this evening despite outhitting the Cyclones 7-3.

Another solid 3-hit outing by Kasha. Unfortunately, one of the hits was a solo homer in 4th and the Shocks offense was unable to get the key hits needed to score. Kara L'Huillier struck out to end the game with the tying run in scoring position and the winning run on 1st.
                              We had three instances of two runners on, once second and third with one out, but could not plate anyone.

2 solid outings by Kasha this weekend.
                              I am assuming she will get the start tomorrow against North Texas and am interested to see how that goes. Another solid start has to be a confidence booster. This weekend she is seeing some "mid-level Valley teams".

Comment

Working...
                              X