Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith leaves the team

From the Htuch News:

Sophomore center Samantha Smith has left the Wichita State squad for personal reason, coach Jody Adams announced Friday.

Smith scored just six points in 14 minutes played this season. Smith averaged 3.3 points and 2.9 rebounds per game last season.

"We hope Sam can be successful in all of her future endeavors," Adams said.
    Best of luck to her.

Nine players left to play the remainder of the season.

That's too bad.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I wonder if a couple of the volleyball players might be able to assist them in practice? Just a thought.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

After playing in every game last year and seeming to be someone who could contribute (significantly?) in the future, she seemed almost lost and confused on the court this year. Perhaps a "delayed reaction" to the new coaching regime?

Best of luck to her in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose
          After playing in every game last year and seeming to be someone who could contribute (significantly?) in the future, she seemed almost lost and confused on the court this year. Perhaps a "delayed reaction" to the new coaching regime?

Best of luck to her in the future.
          Yes, I had been suprised with Sam's lack of playing time this year and never quite figured out what was going on there.

I too wish her luck in the future.

Comment

There will be more either during the season or at the end.

Edit....let me clarify:

If releases were being granted to players no longer on the team, WSU would probably have to forfeit the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker Lady
              There will be more either during the season or at the end.

Edit....let me clarify:

If releases were being granted to players no longer on the team, WSU would probably have to forfeit the rest of the season.
              Shocker Lady are you concerned about this? If so, have you expressed these concerns to Eric Sexton or Becky Endicott? If not, I would encourage you to do so, assuming you have solid information to back up your allegations.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker Lady
                Edit....let me clarify:

I have no idea what this statement is saying.

Comment

I'm Confused. If releases were granted to players no longer on the team that means they are not on the team now and how would that affect the current roster?

Comment

I have no idea what that means as well...HOWEVER

While I wish all the young ladies the very best life has to offer, the women's basketball program is moving forward with or without them and it's going to do so at breakneck speed, imho.

Comment

I interpret Lady Shockers statement as meaning that they have refused to grant releases to some of the players that have left the team and that this is causing some of the current players, who would otherwise leave the team, to stay on the team for now. Otherwise, if they were sure they could get a release, enough additional current players would quit to where WSU could not effectively field a team.

I have aboslutely no idea how accurate this may be. I have no idea whether any scholarship releases have been arbitrarily withheld nor do I know of any dissention on the team. They seem to be playing very hard.

Comment

There was a short stretch where Coach Adams publicly stated she wasn't getting much production (in the broadest sense, not points) from the bench. If someone did not like it, so be it.

But of the nine remaining players, all except Shantel Pointer are averaging over ten minutes per game. And I thought she played very hard on defense during her minutes against Appalachian State.

I have never been to a practice, so I do not know how those go, but I have been impressed that all of the coaching staff is positive, no negative body language for example, during the games. Two or three of them are instructing/coaching particular players during every timeout and sometimes during free throws.

I think they are working hard to get this program where everyone wants it to be. Do I think they are tough and have expectations to be met? I hope so, but it appears that those remaining have bought in.

But what do I know.

Comment

We went from a player's coach to what could be called the polar opposite - a major shift in style, philosophy and expectations of effort.

I doubt the returning players would have chosen to play for Adams and perhaps Adams wouldn't have recruited them. So is any of this all that surprising?

The situation is what it is and I have no doubt players, coach and program will recover.

Comment

Jody is finding a way to win, and that is what she is here for.

Comment

I would think the athletes would be more apt to continue to play for a coach, who has laid her expectations out for everyone to see. Before they had a coach, who I am not sure what the expectations were or if they had any.

Certainly being in shape has changed many things, in there current level of play. Previously they couldn't complete a 2 hour practice, they were so out of shape.

And they are winning,

Also, there seems to be some coaching happening, Marcy Sudbeck is a great example of player improvement.

Just another thought, I actually hear people talking about WBB and what is going on, with the improvements.

There have been season ticket renewals, that weren't or hadn't renewed in a long time, at least for the JA era, that are coming back..

Just a thought

Comment

Working...
                              X